Back At It...again

Options
Hello,
My name is Corinne, 21 living in Coraopolis PA. I'm not sure if I introduced myself before, but I have been using myfitnesspal.com on and off for about a year. I just recently got engaged and it has reintroduced my weight loss goals! :heart:

I am 5'1" 170 lbs (10 lbs gone so far!!) I don't think I am EXTREMELY over weight...but I would like to drop 10-20 lbs. When I was in high school and exercising regularly I was about 150...then I went to college...the "freshman 15" got me...but it was more like freshman 30 :embarassed: ....Now I'm getting rid of it.

I have tried diets before, they usually last a few weeks, or months...then fizzle out. So, here I am (again), this time though- I AM determined. I WILL make this work.

We are new to the area and most of my friends from high school or college have moved back home. Even if it's over the computer, I could use some extra support! I love working out with my fiance, but sometimes I could use some girl support too.

I want to hear from others who are dealing with the same things:
1. HOW CAN I GET MOTIVATED? I feel so drained after work, all I want to do is eat dinner, watch a little t.v. and then go to sleep.
2. HOW CAN I STAY MOTIVATED? I get really frustrated when I don't see IMMEDIATE results...I know that this is not an over night process, but I would like to see more results, faster.
3. HOW CAN I STAY POSITIVE? Sometimes I don't see the results that I want, and I just say "forget it" and drop the diet...I know that giving up is not the best way to handle a failing diet, but it is easy. I don't want to take the easy way any more.

Please, I would really like some support and ANY guidance/advice that anyone can give!! THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• jennmartin82
    Options
    Get yourself some friends on the same path as you are! Stick with them, motivate each other and you will do it!!

Give yourself realistic Goals, and reward yourself when you reach those goals!

p.s-log in everyday, so we can kick each other in the butt to get moving!! lol :)

You/We can do it!!
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated by doing it for yourself. I have tried several things in the past and nothing worked cause Iam a southern girl and Ionly know how to cook with butter LOL:) I went to my husbands company New years party and saw someone that had just been over to my house last summer, She looked great! She is in her 50's so I asked how did you do it? She turned me on to this and I decided I wanted more energy for my self...also going to Maui in June is a good motivator. I cut out all butter, bread, and potatoes. Believe me if I can do it you can!!!!! I am just trying to stay focused on heart healthy. I am originally from TN and have only been in So Cal for 4 years so adjusting to new recipes is a challenge but I have found for me the main thing is PORTION CONTROL. You can start reading labels and just eat the 1 serving and you will not believe all the food you can eat and still lose weight. Sorry this is so long. I am a newbie also so hang in there YOU can do it!!!
  • rinn1791
    Options
    AGREEEEE!!! Portion control...I'm not quite sure what that means lol

I feel like I eat pretty healthy...but I feel like I'm ALWAYS hungry. It's probably a psychological thing...I remember watching some t.v. show a WHILE ago and they talked about people who have had several different types of surgery for weight loss. One woman reported having "hunger pains" even after her stomach was removed! Crazy stuff.
  • tbabs
    tbabs Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey Corinne! I'm Tiffany - from Pittsburgh, PA. Nice to see someone local! I too have been on again, off again. I'm a week into really pushing myself this time and have already lost 4.5 lbs. I agree with everyone - portion control is key. What's worked for me is making it easy - what comes in, must go out. If I treat myself, I know I need to work out longer. It's really simple when you break it down into easy ideas. It's also helped to take things one day at a time. "Today I will do this" rather than "Over the next 4 months I will..." Makes it seem more possible!
  • joyoflife1
    Options
    Corinne take it one day at a time. Don't think about tomorrow. Focus on what you have to do to get healthy today. I truly beleive that's the key.....ONE DAY AT A TIME. We tend to overwhelme ourselves by thinking about what we'll need to do tomorrow. If you're here tomorrow you can take care of it then :happy:

FOCUS ON TODAY!!!!!
  • rinn1791
    Options
    That's REALLY great advice!!! It's also VERY true-I feel overwhelmed and then I get frustrated and give up...NOT good and definitely NOT how I want to do this.
  • kdrew1
    kdrew1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everything said above is great advice. To add to that, I would also say to keep reminding yourself why do are losing the weight. For me, its wanting to get healthy and ready my body to get pregnant. It's really great motivation and it keeps me going!
  • behaddix
    Options
    I have the same problems so I'm of no help, lol! No, I have an idea or I wouldn't be posting- #2. How do I stay motivated? I put on the dress. I'm getting married in May and my mom's wedding dress fits me perfectly up top.. just looks like I may be a month or 3 "with child" as you scan down. It does NOT look on me how I want it to and know it can. Gotta lose this muffin top and some thigh so I can actually walk down the isle in it without feeling like I'm about to pop a seam. I put it on and check myself out in a full length mirror when I'm feeling like I'm not making any progress. I'm considering snapping a pic on my phone next time, so I can look at it when I'm at work and seriously want to dive into a deconstructive lunch. Motivation to go instead of fat.. Hmm.. I might be onto something! :tongue:
  • Becca2201
    Options
    You should be really proud of yourself keep at it and never give up! Just think if you go wrong then punish yourself e.g sacrifice something unhealthy just carry on through thick and thin and never let yourself down xx
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    1. HOW CAN I GET MOTIVATED? I feel so drained after work, all I want to do is eat dinner, watch a little t.v. and then go to sleep.
    2. HOW CAN I STAY MOTIVATED? I get really frustrated when I don't see IMMEDIATE results...I know that this is not an over night process, but I would like to see more results, faster.
    3. HOW CAN I STAY POSITIVE? Sometimes I don't see the results that I want, and I just say "forget it" and drop the diet...I know that giving up is not the best way to handle a failing diet, but it is easy. I don't want to take the easy way any more.

Please, I would really like some support and ANY guidance/advice that anyone can give!! THANK YOU!!!

Some motivational things I've done... I've got a 'fat' picture on my fridge, that I look at every time I open the door. A reason not to go for that ice cream, right? I have a daily goal box. Got a pretty box (or you can decorate one), and on it I tape a paper with my daily goals and the reward. If I meet a goal I drop money into the box as I've set. By the time I reach my goal, or by the end of the year (my birthday) I take out the money and buy myself something completely frivolous and not food.
    Staying positive is the key. Understanding that you will have setbacks, binges, plateaus, and even small weight gains are a part of this journey! Keep in mind your goal, a smaller healthier you! I get discouraged easily too, so it's way easier to say than to do. Anytime my positive attitude slips, the weight comes back on. So it's really important to find things that you can do, that don't involve food, that you enjoy.
    Some people put up positive statements all around their homes, others just focus on the good they are doing for themselves. I find writing specific, small goals and rewarding myself for them is the best way to stay motivated.
    If you have no energy after work, can you get exercise during lunch or before? I try to do a fitness video most mornings before heading out to work. For me, I have more energy for the rest of the day, and it's easier to hit the gym after work too!
    I hope this helps!
  • rinn1791
    Options
    I really like your ideas!! I will definitely start with SMALL goals, and go day by day just like what was posted earlier. I'm feeling more motivated and better about this already!!

Thank you everyone, support is definitely REALLY helpful!!
  • snaus70
    Options
    I have the same problem, always feeling "hungry." I think it is psychological and stress related, as it is especially bad at work. I am trying to deal with this by drinking a lot of water and packing a lot of stuff I can graze on all day without doing damage: raw veggies, baggies of cheerios or low sugar granola, apples. I find that if I choose the right foods I can eat constantly and still have less calories, fat, and sodium than I would if I ate actual meals... I just started here on MFP though so I don't know how effective this will be for losing any weight (my goal is 25 lbs). :smile:
  • CSummers316
    Options

Hi by the way!

1) I understand what you mean. I work overnights and some days all I want to do is say skip the gym and take my sorry butt to bed. But I do certain things to hold myself accountable. I tell people that I am going to be such and such a weight by this date, that I work out almost every day after work. It can be tough, but telling people what you are doing can be a great way to stay motivated, and also in some cases will give you a built in support system. In addition to the one you will find here on MFP.

2) You know, I got to feeling discouraged too when I started working out because I could not notice any changes. I just did not see them. (Side note, when I initially started working out, I was 457 pounds.) Sure the numbers on the scale were dropping and my energy level was rising but it wasn't visually gratifying. Until 4 months had passed and I had someone take a picture of me. Looking at my 457 picture and then 415 and there was a noticeable difference. Now it is 457 to 384. it will take some time but you will see your results. Just don't give up.

3) Small attainable goals are key to success. As you might see by my slider bar, my current long term goal is to weigh in at 250 pounds. Don't have a specific date for that mind you, just where I want to see myself. 384 pounds is far away from that number. Right now, I want to be approximate 360-370 before my birthday which is in May. You set reasonable goals and you will achieve more than you can possibly imagine.

Keep up the good work and stay positive.
  • rinn1791
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

THIS is EXACTLY what I needed-REAL people with REAL problems....I know that I am not (nor will EVER be) 5'9" and 110lbs.

But I DO know that I am 5'1" and well on my way to my goal weight of 150. I have already lost 10 lbs without even realizing it. Just by eating better...no exercise. It's amazing how food conscious you become when you log your food (FOR ALL TO SEE by the way....)

Now it is time for me to kick it up a notch (or 2), I'm adding in my exercise program-starting off slow but definitely going to crank up the intensity!! I want to get rid of my inhaler all together. I dont want to be held back by anything, I want to run free.

It is extremely encouraging to hear from others with similar issues that they are dealing with.
    Again, thank you all for your support and advice!!