Eating Whole Foods

Options
LoraF83
LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
Is anyone else out there only eating whole foods? I gave up fast food, processed food that contained ingredients I couldn't pronounce, soda, and most forms of sugar. Yes, it's restrictive and it's been a little tough, but I am finally at the point that junk food doesn't taste good anymore. I am dropping weight quickly, my skin looks great and my hair is super-shiny! I watch the portions of what I eat, and log everything here, but I don't deny myself anything. I eat when I'm hungry.
Anyone else out there eating like this? I had to switch after starting to read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. Has anyone else read this?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods. I don't have a reason to completely restrict any food I enjoy.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Yeah, that was an eye opening read.

I try to eat unprocessed foods as much as possible, but I'm an 'everything in moderation' type.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat that way, and read/enjoyed In Defense of Food. I also like his basic advice: "Eat [real] food. Not too much. Mostly vegetables."

OK, I like the 1st 2 sentences there the most, but felt it fair to provide his full quote.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yup prefer whole foods here too.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    for me - eating clean definitely makes a difference in weight loss. I know some people can lose even if they eat 1200 cals in crap all day but for me that's not the case.

My meals need to be pretty clean for me to lose (especially dinner). If i make my chicken breast and sweet potatoes or some other veggie instead of eating out at a restaurant (even if i try to get lower cal options or eat smaller portions) - my weight moves. As soon as I add chips or more carbs as snacks, things definitely slow down.

With that said, I can still have diet coke, vitamin water zero, splenda, etc and be ok. It's seems to be the processed SUGAR AND CARBS that causes me to stall
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly whole foods, although I'm ok with limited processed foods. When I do eat processed foods, I try to avoid added sugar, chemicals, preservatives, nitrites, artificial coloring or flavoring, HFCS and MSG. No fast food for me. This is what works for me..
  • sharon4219
    sharon4219 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel great when I am eating whole/clean food! Also loved the book Eat To Live by Dr Fuhrman:happy:
  • androidgal
    androidgal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I try to do this also but finding it harder in the winter or if I am stressed, but if I give in to temptation and eat fast food I always feel sluggish and sleepy after and less energised. I am reading "The China Study" which explains a lot about nutrition and the best forms of protein etc to eat as well as how certain types of food help the immune system whilst others fight cancer...:flowerforyou:
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have started to try but don't have many around me who eats that way and when I say what I have ate I get weird comments.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    When I do eat processed foods, I try to avoid added sugar, chemicals, preservatives, nitrites, artificial coloring or flavoring, HFCS and MSG.

Just curious, then what's left to make it "processed"? Do you just mean multi-ingredient, not prepared in your home?
  • tjalred
    tjalred Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a whole foodie! :)
  • 1968LisaG
    1968LisaG Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat clean just about every day, except on cheat night but it's still good. I buy most of my food at Trader Joe's because it is less expensive and there's a lot of good stuff there. I also like it because their products have less ingredients in them - and still cheaper than my local grocery store.

I have oatmeal for breakfast 5 days a week and then a bowl of Os on the weekend. I make spaghetti squash tomato for my lunches everyday and don't seem to tire of them. I put all fresh ingredients in and just learned that tomatoes are excellent. I buy my sauce at Trader Joe's and there's about 5 ingredients - none of them sugar.

I don't eat a whole lot of sugary products. I put agave syrup on my oatmeal for a little sweetness and I like to eat vegan sweets that I get at Whole Foods and another natural foods store. They make the yummiest blueberry bars. And Whole Foods has vegan chocolate chip cookies that have 175 calories - a lot better than the vegan scone of 470 calories!

I have basically revamped my condiments and everything. I no longer buy kraft products - but opt for organic and less ingredients.

Also, I don't drink soda, juice, or rich coffee drinks anymore. It's tea, plain coffee (with 1 cream), and water.:laugh:
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat food that I prepare from scratch. The only exceptions I will make is canned tomatoes for Chili and stews. I just can't merit the expense, but I do try and buy the organic from the healthfood store.

I will buy prepared organic or 100% pure foods in order to maintain consistency in my diet. I feel better when I eat like this.
  • Joskinnyminnie
    Options
    I've been doing my best to stick to whole foods and cut out the processed stuff for the last few weeks and must say I've felt a whole lot better for it - less bloating, clearer skin and healthy hair. I found myself craving a raw salad on Saturday after a few too many glasses of wine on Friday night - don't know why?
  • perrybucsdad
    perrybucsdad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What is considered "whole foods"? I get the processed part, but is steak or fish considered a whole food?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list for mostly whole foods, cooking from scratch.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Basically a whole food is anything that is an ingredient.........if something has multiple ingredients, it is considered a processed food. So, yes, steak and fish are whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, grains, rice, milk, etc, are all whole foods.

It's not always possible to stay away from processed foods, so I stick to this rule: if it has ingredients I can't pronounce, I won't buy it or eat it. I don't need/want chemicals in my food!
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I eat whole food and LOVE IT! I don't feel restricted in any way, shape or form. Raw food restaurants have a lot of great versions of desserts, sandwiches ("bread" made out of onions or lettuce or flax), pizza, you name it. Only, they're food is made out of fruits, vegetables, nuts, herbs/spices... that's it! As for protein, I love an organic, grass-fed steak! Another great book to read is "Back to the Basics of Human Health" by Mary Frost. www.westonaprice.org is a fantastic website to visit.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    We love to cook, so we end up eating mostly whole foods anyhow. I still have easy mac when I feel like it.

I really hate the "ingredients I can't pronounce" comment though. There are plenty of natural things that will kill you (amagdylan in apple seeds, hemlock, several species of mushrooms, large quantities of nutmeg, mountain lions) and plenty of natural things with names you cannot pronounce. It just seems like a really shallow way to think about food.