Curious: How long before the scale showed loss?

Options
Hi. I am exercising relentlessly every morning at the gym, taking their lifting, aerobics, boxing, and ab classes, which have been giving me more strength and makes me feel good. I have lost 3/4 inch on waist and 1 inch on hips, so I know I am improving somewhat. Only problem is the scale won't move.

My ticker says I lost 3 lbs, but it's wrong. I lost it and got all exited and changed my ticker, but now, I am back to only losing one. This is since three weeks ago, when I started.

I am not losing my motivation. I am determined to give this at least a year. I have twenty pounds to lose. My question is to those who have succeeded, How long do you have to exercise/count calories before the scale starts to move?

Replies

• mcsaxangel
    Options
    Losing inches around the waist are more important to what the scale says. As long as you are exercising and eating healthy. For some people it might take a while for the scale to go down and like what happened with you the scale went up that is a common occurrence. Just keep up with going to the gym and doing strength training and keeping track of what you eat! I wouldn't worry too much about the weight just worry about being healthy.
  • jonnyhart13
    Options
    Happens to me everytime! I usually start losing pounds as soon as i start dieting rather strictly, but then as soon as i start working out every day i plateau and the scale stops! But i have decided that i would rather not lose any more weight and look/feel better on a daily basis. No one looks at your scale...but they see you. good luck!
  • jcrn1
    jcrn1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am on a particular weight loss program, both calorie controlled and heart healthy, so I lost weight in the first week and average 2 pounds a week. This did NOT happen when I just counted calories and exercised. and some weeks the scales show NO loss.

My opinion is that it is not all just calories in and calories burned. Muscles will add some weight at first as you add mass but you will look slimmer. In time, if you don't eat more...you will lose weight. We live in an instant fix world but weight loss isn't about speed but consistency. Learning how to eat and exercise. Accepting gradual improvement. And before you know it...you have lost the weight! Hang in there.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I started losing within the first week. But, there are times when I didn't lose for 2 or 3 weeks and then lost twice the normal amount. The scale can fluctuate quite a bit. It's good to look at the scale over the long term, but week-to-week it can be misleading.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.4 lbs/wk consistently throughout my weight loss.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat. For me I started losing right away but I'm also very overweight so I have a lot of fat to lose, whatever muscle I am making is just helping burn more fat. Since you are losing inches I wouldn't worry too much about the scale it will start moving when your body is ready.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I have a very similar problem. I have been so good since the 2nd of Feb.. eating 1200cals doing zumba 3 times a week (800 cals lost each time). I don't even eat back my calories... how ever I have only lost 7 lb which is really 6 because I seemed to have put 1lb on last week!!! not sure how as I have worked so hard... I am just waiting now for the pounds to drop off!!! you can befriend me if you want some moral support x
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Losing inches around the waist are more important to what the scale says. As long as you are exercising and eating healthy. For some people it might take a while for the scale to go down and like what happened with you the scale went up that is a common occurrence. Just keep up with going to the gym and doing strength training and keeping track of what you eat! I wouldn't worry too much about the weight just worry about being healthy.

AMEN
  • Jan0707
    Jan0707 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No one looks at your scale...but they see you.

So true...I need to remember this statement. :smile:
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I'm working (cutting hair) so I couldn't get back right away.

I am seeing and feeling a difference, so it's def worth it. To the poster who said they lost 7 pounds since 2/2 and is wondering why so slow, I must say that is not slow at all! That is phenomenal! Maybe you posted the wrong starting date. Did you mean to say Jan? Because 7 pounds in a week is great!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I jumped on the scale last week and not only gained the 1 lb I lost since I started MFP, I also gained 8 ounces on top of that. I was P!ssed off! Then come time to go out for super bowl, I put on some clothes that did not fit me a couple months ago and they fit. I took a picture and put it in my photos on my profile page. This is PROOF that the scale does not matter. I am actually way healthier than I was when I was 6 lbs less and I purchased these clothes as well.

Please feel free to look at the picture of me in black on my page. I have a little bit of my tummy to get off but I am not worried about that, I am 43 years old, I am not going to be a Victoria Supermodel any time soon................
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am having the same exact problem. I contribute it to haivng only 7 more pounds to go, and that muscle is heavier than fat. I do some weight lifting and strength training classes. Otherwise I don't know what else it could be, its definately frusterating!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!