Runners, which would you do?

Options
Which sounds like a better goal, a half-marathon, or a really fast 5k?
I've completed two 5k's so far, but I would really like to improve on my time, maybe even place in the top three in a summer race (that would be soooooo awesome!). I also would like to run a half-marathon in May, but I wonder if I should just focus on one at a time?
What would you do, and does this make any sense? Lol, thanks!

Replies

• kjm827
    kjm827 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'd do both. Why not? You've got nothing to lose but weight, right? :-)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The shorter the distance, the harder it is to see continuous improvements. I plateaued at my 5K time pretty quick, whereas I'm still improving after a couple years of half marathons.

I would probably focus on one or the other. If you're working on a Half, then chances are your training is not optimal for improving your 5K time and vice versa. Doesn't mean you couldn't run 5Ks as a warm up race for a Half though.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I agree, try both! I do my speed work during the week and my distance work on the weekends. So now, I can run a decent 5k (about a 10 minute mile) and I can also run a half marathon (slowly, closer to 12 minute mile). Switching up speed training with distance training really helps to train your muscles and joints to be able to do it all. Plus, it's fun to switch it up :)
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    When in the summer is the 5K? You will probably have to train differently for a 1/2 marathon then you would a 5K. I ran my first 1/2 in November and am currently training for a Marathon in May myself.
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i would do the half marathon first and focus on that since it's coming up, and you can do 5k's almost year round. One goal at time I think works better because they are both such different types of training. Or you could possibly do both, but focus on improving your 5k time and not worry as much how you do in the half? it kind of depends on how competitive you are and how well you want to succeed in the half. Good luck!!
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have a goal of doing my first 5k this June any advice? I run 30 to 40 min a day in the mornings but I have my dog with me and I don't know milage or speed. Help
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This.....
    The shorter the distance, the harder it is to see continuous improvements. I plateaued at my 5K time pretty quick, whereas I'm still improving after a couple years of half marathons.

I would probably focus on one or the other. If you're working on a Half, then chances are your training is not optimal for improving your 5K time and vice versa. Doesn't mean you couldn't run 5Ks as a warm up race for a Half though.
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of doing my first 5k this June any advice? I run 30 to 40 min a day in the mornings but I have my dog with me and I don't know milage or speed. Help

Why don't you google map your route to see how many miles it is? Then, work up or down from there! Depending on your speed, it sounds like you could be running a 5k now! And if not, you should be able to do it by June, you'd just want to up your time a little bit, maybe work on increasing speed by doing sprint intervals, etc.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would rather do a half marathon. I have done a few 10ks and a 9 mile race. Running fast isn't really my thing, I prefer longer distances, I think.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    How about a 10Km? Double the distance of a a 5km and half that of a 1/2 marathon. Use it to build up speed and endurance!
  • kmh1980
    kmh1980 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have found that building endurance (running longer distances) increases your speed over time! Hope this helps!
  • michellebelle1
    michellebelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do one day of sprints/speed work during the week when training for a marathon, and I find it really helps my 5k time as plus. It's nice to have one day where you can give it everything and really stretch out your legs rather than having to pace yourself and conserve energy for the miles to come.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Just do it!!!!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Which sounds like a better goal, a half-marathon, or a really fast 5k?
    I've completed two 5k's so far, but I would really like to improve on my time, maybe even place in the top three in a summer race (that would be soooooo awesome!). I also would like to run a half-marathon in May, but I wonder if I should just focus on one at a time?
    What would you do, and does this make any sense? Lol, thanks!

You can do the half marathon and then go back to 5ks, not a bad plan actually. No need to focus on just one distance, variety spices it all up and keeps you fresh.

I will say this, if I were fit enough to do a half marathon in May, I would jump at it and if you think you can do one, definitely give yourself a chance and try!
  • vinadity98
    vinadity98 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd say the half marathon. That's my goal for January to run in the princess half marathon. I'm not a fast runner.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do both! I've got my 5k time down to 7:19 mile from months of intense interval workouts as well as pushing my speed limits during my endurance workouts. Varying your training runs each week is crucial to success in all races. As long as you're getting in your mileage for half-marathon training, there's no reason why you couldn't make your "shorter" training runs, practice speed workouts for a 5k. It's what I always do. Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Training for the half will give you a really great base to transition into speed work for the 5K. And you will likely just get faster in general from all the running. Keep a nice balance to your HM training with some tempo work added to your endurance building.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Train for the half (LOOOOVE longer races. The half has been my go-to race for years)!

You can always throw in speedwork one day a week (fartlek, track work, hill sprints), and this will help improve your 5k time as well, and you can do tons of 5ks during your Half training plan. I do every year!

I agree that adding endurance will reap speed benefits as well. My times have improved over the years just by virtue of running more, with some speedwork peppered in here and there, nothing crazy.

:)
  • izoljotam
    Options
    Gosh if I could I'd do both. Enjoy x
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.
    The Half-marathon is in May (I think I said that) and the 5k is in the beginning of July. I like the idea of training for the half first, maybe I'll give that a whirl.