Toddler-Friendly Meals

Options
I'm a single mom who works FT, and only gets to enjoy eating dinner with my 2-year old son during the week due to our schedule. I'm having a difficult time finding healthy meals that we'll BOTH eat...so more often than not, I end up cooking him something different so he at least ate something...and even wasting food he won't eat sometimes.

He loves eggs and I can scramble him some eggs, me some egg whites w/ veggies and put some fruit and whole grain toast w/honey on the side. Problem is - I don't want this being our dinner every night, or really even more than 3 nights a week.

I also need quick meals, since we don't really get home until close to 7pm. I recently found Applegate brand chicken nuggets, which are the best frozen nuggets that I've seen out there (that he'll actually eat & enjoy)...but trying to stay away from that kind of stuff. Of course, he'll eat mac & cheese...trying to not go overboard with that either, and it's not something I choose (or really like) to eat so I'm making it separately for him.

Anyone out there have ANY other suggestions so I'm not cooking more than one meal for us both each night (with limited time)? Trying to keep it healthy, but also something he'll eat. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• argdewit4
    Options
    I have a two year old son as well and he isn't the best eater. I try and try to put different things in front of him to no avail. How about English Muffin pizzas - use low fat mozerella, the 100 calorie english muffins and turkey peperoni - serve with a salad for you (my kids will not touch salad).

Spaghetti (with whole wheat noodles) is also an idea you just have to watch your portions. Wish I had more ideas for you!
  • meganmcg77
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a recipe for chicken nuggets that is really good - my 18th month old loves them! And they are pretty simple and good reheated. Hungrygirl mac and cheese - uses Green Giant cauliflower and cheese sauce and whole wheat pasta. She loves that too.

Try the skinnytaste site for lots of good ideas, sounds like crockpot would be a good option for you.

The sloppy joes on skinnytaste are awesome, too! We make a double batch and freeze part for later.
  • luckyCDR
    luckyCDR Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks...he might like helping me make pizza, so we'll try that for sure! He's not into tomato sauces, unfortunately...going to keep trying! I did find that he likes the fruit cups (packed in water, not juice) are somewhat of a healthy choice for him and he seems to enjoy them. Quick & easy...pre-cubed and all!
  • luckyCDR
    luckyCDR Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm totally checking out skinnytaste.com...thanks! I saw that mentioned in another post for general recipe ideas, and didn't get around to checking it out yet. I will now! :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks...he might like helping me make pizza, so we'll try that for sure! He's not into tomato sauces, unfortunately...going to keep trying! I did find that he likes the fruit cups (packed in water, not juice) are somewhat of a healthy choice for him and he seems to enjoy them. Quick & easy...pre-cubed and all!

My nephew like "white sauce" pizza with chicken. The sauce is Alfredo (not the best thing) ... look for one of the lighter ones. Side note: The sauce does freeze OK. Kinda strange when you first thaw it .... stir it a bit and it's fine.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I have THE pickiest 6 year in the world, however, here is a list of things I can sometimes get her to eat. My 4 yr old on the other hand will eat anything and everything so the list has some of her favorites too

I have yet to find a meal we can all eat. I kinda believe, and maybe this is an awful negative statement, (but I'm kind in the same boat, Single mom, 2 kids, 2 jobs, and the laundry that never ends) there really isn't a healthy meal that can be made for ALL to enjoy.
    But heres a list of easy fixes:

Egg sandwiches
    Sweet Potato fries - either Ore Ida's or homemade (oven - not fried)
    Veggie Characters - basically make a face with vegetables you are eating on a plate, make hair with ketchup
    Ham and Cheese Rollups - basically a stick of string cheese with ham wrapped around it
    Take a chicken breast cut in chunks, dip in egg and roll in crushed corn flakes
    Meatloaf

I'll be watching this post for ideas tho. Good Luck! You're not alone.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree that you should look at www.skinnytaste.com

As for cookbooks, here are some that we use:
    The Sneaky Chef
    Spilling the Beans
    Quinoa 365 - Awesome chicken finger recipe in there
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My picky 4 year old likes chicken soup for some reason - homemade with lots of veggies and chicken. He also likes english muffin pizzas with very little of the tomato sauce. He will eat "cheeseburgers", which is lean ground sirloin and a piece of cheese and I eat the same, but I cut it up and put it on salad (with ketchup/mustard/relish and it tastes like a big mac). He will eat pulled pork with BBQ sauce that I make in the crock pot (pork tenderloin). He also will eat his meat and veggies with ranch dressing. I cook a lot because my youngest has a peanut allergy and I don't trust anything that I don't make myself. Let me know if you need any recipes!
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Flat Out whole grain wraps (100 cal)
    fresh spinach leaves
    fresh or homemeade salsa (mild, just a little for flavor
    low sodium deli turkey breast - or any other meat he likes

Roll it up and make a wrap. Maybe serve it with raw carrot sticks and apple sauce, or something else he likes