Soda! Your take???

Options
So obviously we all know that soda is bad for you. However, I have a severe case of pepsi-itis which makes it impossible for me to go without at least one soda/pop can per day. Now, if I am scheduled to take in 2000 calories and on average I only take in 1600 calories a day, without trying. Is it really a bad thing that I drink 1 - 2 cans of soda per day? Or, if I truly want to commit to my weight loss would it be more beneficial to fulfill my calories without the addition of bad calories, and actually have calories that my body can use???

I know this seems like a rhetorical question, however I am seeking some opinions. Also, does anyone know a good way to get off of caffeine without the head splitting migraine?

Replies

• Rapunzel24
    Rapunzel24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No I don't think keeping soda in your diet is a good idea. You have to slowly wean yourself off, or take Motrin and live with it. You can switch to something with less caffeine to help like green tea. Green tea is also good for you and your metabolism. I used to have a soda addiction but I actually got rid of it when I was pregnant and never went back. Ironically I now find it disgusting and can't drink it.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you have a healthy pancreas you can safely drink soda, or eat cake, cookies, etc. It won't hurt you but it's empty calories with no nutritional value.

I had a couple of years where I was really strict with myself on that stuff high fat dairy desserts like ice cream. But, it was unsustainable for me. I feel into a unpleasant, mild binge cycle. So now I mostly eat healthy but also enjoy foods that I like, too.

I think if you can fit the soda into your daily calories, go ahead. If Pepsi is getting in between you and your goals, cut back.
  • Linlovesb
    Options
    I am a self proclaimed Dr Pepper addict, its like crack to me = ) But as I write this I am 2 1/2 weeks Dr Pepper FREE!! I really thought it was gunna be alot harder to give up than it actually was. Granted the first few days were kinda rough, but now I dont really seem to notice it. I will admit there are temptations- opening a friends fridge to see a door FULL of my sweet sweet Dr Pepper was kinda rough- but I resisted! When I absolutely needed something other than water I allowed myself a Sprite Zero & found that I didnt even drink 1/2 of it and havent really had anymore urges for a soda!!
    Give it a try, put down the pepsi- If I can do it, anybody can!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was a Mt. Dew addict......had to have one or two a day. But, I haven't had one in 6 weeks. If I can do it, you can do it! Replace the pop with coffee for a few days and then wean yourself off of that. You can do it!!
  • lupusvir
    Options
    I completely understand that they are empty calories. It is especially difficult because my work goes to Costco and fills the fridge with healthy drinks but the door to the fridge has my "ambrosia" pepsi mmmmm... But I should be able to cut it out! But I think if I were to go a few weeks with it in my diet see what happens then try a couple weeks without and see what happens. Measure the results, and if the results are good enough with out then why the heck not just keep going without it. But if it isn't much of a difference then..... Who knows!? lol but thank you for your prompt feedback. It is much appreciated!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    For me: Soda = Gateway drug for all other junk foods

I've just learned there are too many other snackey, unhealthy foods that I associate with soda, so I cut it out entirely. I would have done Diet, but those fake sugars creep me out.

But, it's a personal choice. If you want/need it, do it. Don't make "diet" changes you won't be able to sustain for the rest of your life.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I used to be addicted to pop...I drank about 5 a day as a teen. Terrible, I know. If you sincerely want to stop the caffeine, I would suggest starting by buying the mini cans and slowly weaning yourself off. Get to a point where you don't crave a can every day. For me the addiction was the fizz, not the caffeine, so I switched to other fizzy, carbonated drinks that did not have caffeine. Then I weaned myself off those, until eventually I wasn't drinking anymore empty calories. It can be done, but only if you're very motivated. Frankly, I'd be more worried about the aluminum in the cans (causes cognitive problems like Alzheimer's) and possible BPA lining the cans. This, to me, is more worrisome than the caffeine.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I would work myself off of soda completely. It is easier said than done. It was easy for me b/c I knew my friend's Mom had severe diabetes that caused her her life and Pepsi was her staple in her diet. She never allowed the kids to touch her Pepsi. I took that to heart and thought I'm really doing my body a disservice to keep this. It's just empty calories and sugar. I rather enjoy a piece of cake once in a while or on occasions then make soda my staple. You can always start off restricting and going to Coke zero or Pepsi max once a day, then once a week, than once a month . . .
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a Pepsi addict. I used to drink 4-5 cans a day. I cut down to 1 can a day and that has helped. I do notice though, I am more successful losing weight when I don't drink any Pepsi. That is just my hard reality.

I now allow myself a Pepsi on special occassions. I do notice that once I drink one it takes days to get over my craving for another.
  • bigplayclay34
    bigplayclay34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I never really believed that Diet Soda was bad for you. Honestly, I still haven't. However, since starting my MFP journey, I have noticed I was drinking more of it to replace snacking. Shortly after, I started to notice that I was experience intestinal discomfort on a more regular basis. I know that the fake sugars like sorbitol aren't absorbed very easily by the body and can cause this. I am not sure if the sugars in diet drinks can do the same, but I am giving them up for a while to see if I start to feel any better.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    ginger ale ( very low cal) or nothing at all..