Fluctuating scales

Is it normal for the scale to fluctuate 6 pounds? I wanted to weigh in on Monday, but there was a problem.... Saturday I was down to 206, I ate a little more than what I was supposed to eat for calories and by monday morning I was back up to 211. I don't like the fluctuating of the scale and wasn't sure if thats normal. How do you know how many pounds you lose if the scale bounces around so much?

Replies

• tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    I don't have a good answer for you. The exact same thing happens to me all the time even if I weigh myself first thing when I wake up. For some odd reason I find that I gain more weight after my exercises days. I lose weight when I don't exercise. Maybe it's because I'm drinking more water with exercise. I'm pretty sure it's only water weight as I've lost a small amount around my waist and hips since I started exercising. It's still frustrating when the scale doesn't budge!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Did you exercise harder? Eat more sodium?
  • Rapunzel24
    Rapunzel24 Posts: 5 Member
    Well it is completely normal to have your weight fluctuate up to 5 pounds within 24 hours. Other things that can contribute to this are bowel movements, salt intake, inflammation(water retention), what time of day you are weighing yourself.

So yes its normal.
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Well it is completely normal to have your weight fluctuate up to 5 pounds within 24 hours. Other things that can contribute to this are bowel movements, salt intake, inflammation(water retention), what time of day you are weighing yourself.

So yes its normal.

I typically weigh myself 2 times a day just for Sh*ts and giggles, but I take my most accurate first thing in the morning.
  • Well it is completely normal to have your weight fluctuate up to 5 pounds within 24 hours. Other things that can contribute to this are bowel movements, salt intake, inflammation(water retention), what time of day you are weighing yourself.

So yes its normal.

Yeah, this exactly. I do the opposite of what most people recommend, and weigh myself at least once a day, usually more. It helps me see all these fluctuations and just focus on the overall pattern, not one specific number.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I weigh myself every morning, but I only count the new lows. I make little bets with myself as to what the scale will say...based on am I bloated at all? Did I eat a lot the day before? Drink a lot of water? I'm getting good at it! I am usually within 1 pound of what it says. But I do recommend you pick a day and count that day's weight as your "official" weigh in day. Mine in Monday. That way I can look at all my Monday weights and see how I'm actually losing over the long haul. Looking at every days weight can skew the big picture up and make it seem like nothing is happening.
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    I weigh myself every morning, but I only count the new lows. I make little bets with myself as to what the scale will say...based on am I bloated at all? Did I eat a lot the day before? Drink a lot of water? I'm getting good at it! I am usually within 1 pound of what it says. But I do recommend you pick a day and count that day's weight as your "official" weigh in day. Mine in Monday. That way I can look at all my Monday weights and see how I'm actually losing over the long haul. Looking at every days weight can skew the big picture up and make it seem like nothing is happening.

Very True. I was going to start using my Mondays as my days to weigh in, but then I had a good lunch Sunday and it raised my weigh about 4-5 pounds. So, I was like, no, I know I lost more weight than that...lol