17 Day Diet?

Options
Has anyone bought the book and workout DVD (17 Day Diet)? I was thinking about trying it but wanted to see what others thought first. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it.

My motto for this type of thing is: "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I am not interested in a "diet", I want long-term life changes.

GL with your weight-loss goals.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Save your time and money. !7 days is not enough to make real life changes. Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to log your foods and in the process you'll learn more about wiser food choices. Think of ways to incorporate more activity into your life and you'll be fine.

Being on MFP is all the tools you need :wink: :wink:
  • iamharley
    Options
    It is supposed to be life changing.... It is endorsed by Dr Phil and the doctors on the television show "The Doctors". In fact Dr Phil and The Doctors just launched a challenge to see who's team loses the most weight by using the 17 day diet program.

Supposedly the way this diet works, every 17 days you change up your diet and workout program so you don't ever hit that plateau that so many of us hit during our diets. I was just wondering if anyone out there had tried it.
  • MOMMAHOWE
    Options
    Funny that you are asking this, there are a few people at my work that are going to try this. I thought about trying it as well. It doesn't sound bad at all. I will try to post how it goes for them!
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    So far I love it! I just wish the book had a different title because for people not in the know it looks like a gimmick or crash diet, and it certainly isn't! It isn't 17 days and you're done lol. The diet progresses thru 3 cycles of 17 days each with cycle 4 being lifelong maintenance. The cycles are just manipulating what you're eating so you don't get bored or plateau; as in the first one you have unlimited lean proteins, unlimited veggies (from the list), 2 fruits, 2 probiotics (you can choose between yogurt, kefir, etc), and 1-2 T healthy fats per day. The second cycle you begin rotating in 2 servings of slow digesting carbs (whole grains, etc) every other day. It's sort of like zig-zagging your calories up and down which people have been doing for ages. The third cycle adds in whole grain breads, pastas, optional snacks, etc. It's supposed to teach you lifelong healthy eatings habits and portion control. When you reach your goal weight you do cycle 4 maintenance in which you eat healthy & carefully thru the week and give yourself a bit of leeway on the weekend.

I know I simplified it a bit and I don't think this is any startling new scientific breakthrough lol but I really, really, really needed some serious structure to my eating habits after the holidays. :ohwell: And so far so good. I am on day 6 of my first cycle and down 5 pounds as of yesterday.

On the other hand, in regards to the 17 day workout dvd - save your money. I didn't like it at all. I've only done each segment once and I'd rather stick to my Beachbody programs or the elliptical. But that's just my opinion!
  • iamharley
    Options
    Thank you so much! I wanted to hear from someone that is using that so I could make an educated guess on whether or not to buy it. And..... I think I will.
  • Scoobees
    Options
    You are so welcome! I am happy that I finally got the structure I needed in regards to diet; I was all over the place. Today is the beginning of day 12 and I'm now down 8 pounds but I know in this next cycle the losses will have to slow a bit because of the added calories in the form of whole grains but I can accept that lol!

If you want to read more info on the boards on how others are doing and questions, you can check it out over at thedoctorstv.com/forums. It's real helpful!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I also have it as well. I'll admit, I don't follow it religiously. The first 2 cycles (44 days) carbs are non existent and I know, personally, that will never work for me. While I've never been a pasta, rice, potatoe eater.. I do carbs but healthy, complex ones.. whole grains and veggies.

But, I do like it for the zig zag factor and am incorporating that on my own terms. As far as the DVD, don't waste your money. Buy just the book if you're going to buy anything. I hated the DVD, much rather like doing my own thing as far as exercise.
  • Scoobees
    Options
    Just to clarify a tad, the first cycle (17 days) you do have carbs, but in the form of fruits & unlimited veggies. In the second cycle (also 17 days) slow digesting carbs are included - oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.

And yes - totally agree on the exercise dvd - what a waste lol!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Any updates? How is everyone doing?
  • sarahbelly
    Options
    i really want to start the 17 day diet but i have no idea where to start- i dont have the cash right now to get the book! anyone wanna help me get started?! if anyone has tried it and liked it-please let me know!!
  • JimCasford
    JimCasford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just started and am through two days now. I am jonesing for pasta. But, the greek yogurt is pretty good.
  • jpunks
    Options
    Hi new to the forms! I spotted this thread as I searched for 17 Day Diet Recipes! I'm glad to see I'm not alone doing this diet. I just started yesterday and after a weekend of booze and super bowl junk food I'm really having a hard time.

Any tips or some yummy breakfast or dinner recipes? Also does anyone know if egg noodles or tofu is ok on this diet?

Thanks,
    Jenna
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started this diet, but had a lot of issues with how it affected my blood sugar. I was following it religiously, but ended up getting sick from my blood sugar dropping so low and becoming very weak. My husband had a hard time with it as well and felt very weak by the 4th day. It does have a lot of valuable information and helps for people to make a lifestyle change. I am not following it to a "T" anymore, but I am following some of the structure and using a lot of the great recipes!
    Good luck!
  • Life changes dude. Not 17 days of bull crap.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but some co-workers of various lifestyles and sizes are having tremendous success with it. I personally think the 17 day diet is awesome - but keeping up after you have all those strict rules is the real challenge.
  • goldielocs
    goldielocs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Save your time and money. !7 days is not enough to make real life changes. Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to log your foods and in the process you'll learn more about wiser food choices. Think of ways to incorporate more activity into your life and you'll be fine.

Being on MFP is all the tools you need :wink: :wink:
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Has anyone bought the book and workout DVD (17 Day Diet)? I was thinking about trying it but wanted to see what others thought first. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

This is a lower carb. diet.....I would suggest you join one of the low carb. groups to get the support you need.........you don't have to be extremely low carb. to get support there.

A friend of mine is doing this diet and is having great success with it......it's a lifestyle for her.I'm personally doing Atkins....you can friend me if you like.....I can always use some extra support!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Right off the bat, before even reading others' responses, just want to say...don't waste your money on the work book that goes along with the 17 Day Diet book. Everything that's in it, you can just as easily keep record of either in a spiral notebook, or right here on MFP.

My own experiece with the 17DD...I had very good results in phase 1. I lost 7lbs in the first week, and 5 inches from my waist. However, that was before I started working out regularly. Now that I do work out daily, I've long-since abandoned the diet - any diet - from my program. I need more carbs than were allowable on the 17DD. For what it's worth...the time that I did spend doing the 17DD, it's a very easy-to-follow diet.