Detox/Cleansing Diet

Options

Replies

• perrybucsdad
    perrybucsdad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Screaming poops... haha... that about sums it up. I tried one of these once and all I think I lost was the cr@p that was in my intestines. With time and proper eating, you will eliminate that anyhow.

Ask any gastroenterologist, a simple fast and you will clean your intestines and colon out. No need to use one of those magic pooper potions.
  • Bernie526
    Bernie526 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Save your money. Eat well, and don't eat crap. That's all you need to do. Think about it ... these diets were invented to sell to people. No one actually needs it.
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    CLeanses are stupid. I have yet to see one that has one shred of clinical evidence behind it, let alone one that identifies any of the so called toxins it supposedly gets rid of.

If you suddenly go on a strict diet, after eating crap for years, you will drop weight. You're not dropping imaginary toxins.

i think dropping the weight is like idk kinda the point.....

and if you ever did one you can tell your body is cleansed because you can FEEL it

Yes, you will drop weight.
    There isn't any magical chemistry going on. There aren't imaginary toxins in your cells, holding on to fat.

didnt say there was.

you cant say anything about something you havnt tried.period.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    CLeanses are stupid. I have yet to see one that has one shred of clinical evidence behind it, let alone one that identifies any of the so called toxins it supposedly gets rid of.

If you suddenly go on a strict diet, after eating crap for years, you will drop weight. You're not dropping imaginary toxins.

The gerson therapy has a list of toxins and a ton of clinical evidence behind it, unfortunately few have been published. a few toxins are chlorine, fluoride, food additives, drugs, chemical agriculture wastes, altered foods, nicotine, and alcohol.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    I am just getting started on this site and with weight loss. I am wondering if anyone could recommend a detox/cleansing diet to get my weight loss goals started.
    Thanks
    Beth

Beth, I wouldn't do those, I think the reason we are all here is for a lifestyle change. To feel and look better, to add years to our lives and maybe make a few friends along the way.

I would like to wish you the very best experience with this group and encouragement for some awesome results.

M
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I like the "clean eating" cleanse. You eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, beans, and it works wonders! You drink lots of water, and exercise is key too

where is the like button when I need one ? truer words have not been spoken then this.

^^^agreed! You will "detox" on a clean diet as your body will kind of go into shock at all the new and healthy food. You'll probably notice your elimination improves, your skin becomes cleaner, and you can think better. The first week you will feel kind of crappy, but you'll love how you feel after

Agreed.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I disagree
    i did the Master Cleanse
    i LOVED IT
    i felt A Frikin Mazing after i lost like 7 lbs
    and i have kept it off and i have no want to smoke, drink alcohol, or eat any fast food of any kind it made me feel light and energetic
    and really made me adopt a healthier lifestyle
    im soooo glad i did it

The thing with things like "the Master Cleanse" is they cost money (often A LOT of money) and they don't do anything that you can't do yourself by eating healthy and exercising.

To the OP- If you absolutely feel like you need to detox/cleanse for some psychological reason (it's not necessary for any physiological reasons), then try a short 24 hour fast. Drink lots of water and then start eating quality, nutritious foods afterward.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The gerson therapy has a list of toxins and a ton of clinical evidence behind it, unfortunately few have been published. a few toxins are chlorine, fluoride, food additives, drugs, chemical agriculture wastes, altered foods, nicotine, and alcohol.

If the studies were valid, they'd have published. When I read "unpublished results" in a claim, I laugh, because it means A) the evidence isn't really that solid and we don't want any one to scrutinize it, or B) the grad student/post-doc doing this work abandoned ship and we haven't found anyone to finish the project yet.

The liver takes care of chlorine, fluoride, food aditives, drugs, chemical agriculture wastes, altered foods (er... actually probably not that because I have no clue what altered foods even are... and foods are either digested in your gut or excreted), nicotine, and alcohol.

I love the liver. Seriously freakin' amazing organ. Almost more awesome than the brain. Almost.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options

This.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If the studies were valid, they'd have published. When I read "unpublished results" in a claim, I laugh, because it means A) the evidence isn't really that solid and we don't want any one to scrutinize it, or B) the grad student/post-doc doing this work abandoned ship and we haven't found anyone to finish the project yet.
    I was wrong there were a lot of studies published.
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/bib_gerson_therapy.html
    The liver takes care of chlorine, fluoride, food aditives, drugs, chemical agriculture wastes, altered foods (er... actually probably not that because I have no clue what altered foods even are... and foods are either digested in your gut or excreted), nicotine, and alcohol.

I love the liver. Seriously freakin' amazing organ. Almost more awesome than the brain. Almost.
    the liver does try to take care of these toxins but it can only convert so many toxins at a time, and usually into more toxins. If your trying to lose weight, it's hard for your liver to convert a lot of fat and toxins at the same time.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Exactly this. YOu don't need to puy any products. Just eat better. You will feel just as good.
    The thing with things like "the Master Cleanse" is they cost money (often A LOT of money) and they don't do anything that you can't do yourself by eating healthy and exercising.

To the OP- If you absolutely feel like you need to detox/cleanse for some psychological reason (it's not necessary for any physiological reasons), then try a short 24 hour fast. Drink lots of water and then start eating quality, nutritious foods afterward.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Specifically, which of these studies do you find relevant to your belief that detoxes are beneficial?
  • agentscully514
    Options

Yes, you will drop weight.
    There isn't any magical chemistry going on. There aren't imaginary toxins in your cells, holding on to fat.

didnt say there was.

you cant say anything about something you havnt tried.period.

Of course I can, because clinical evidence is more important than individual anecdotes. There is NO evidence that cleanses are any more effective than just eating a healthy diet.
  • agentscully514
    Options

Specifically, which of these studies do you find relevant to your belief that detoxes are beneficial?

I love how all of the studies were published between 1929-1935. DUDE! get something a little more current!!
  • agentscully514
    Options

and he identified these toxins how? was the mass spec even invented at that point?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    [duplicate post]
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Silly me for believing my kidneys and liver were enough to "cleanse" my body.:ohwell:
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    C'mon guys keep this going, I'm bored at work....sigh, I need the entertainment!
    Labrat I know you have more info to give on this topic... :wink:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If you are having problems with toxins why not go to the hospital and get dialysis?
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love these replies!

I've always wondered about these "cleanse" diets... I have an opinion only that they may help break people's daily dietary practices... When you have to eat 2 almonds, 4.25 grams of wheat germ... Etc etc etc. you build a habit of weighing things, counting things, and forcing yourself away from your previous 'regular' diet. and yes, I've done one like this following a personal trainer and I'm certain that the diet was simply a means to break habits.

As far as the concept that there are random toxins floating around somewhere inside the body... Where exactly are they and how did they manage to lock themselves inside my body? I've heard so many claims on these diets that are truly bizarre... I can't figure out where the basic biology concepts went.

To the OP, it is my opinion that you don't need a "cleanse" to launch your weight loss... If you want a strict diet to force you to change habits... That"s different, but I would suggest that you save your money and avoid throwing cash at supplements that seem to promise much, but I have yet to see deliver anything more than would be accomplished following a diet where'd you cut your calories and up your activity...

If you look around the site and see some of the recent, popular posts floating around... I'd say that a "cleanse" is a polka dot dress and grass clippings...

Jamie