Burned over 1000 cals today in exercise!

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
Only 150 of those were at the gym. The rest was from a 3 hour ballet class. Can you believe it???

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    dear slieber,

you are a show off and I am very jealous.:angry:

signed,

the girl that wogged or 53 minutes, sweated her butt off and burned 324 cals:cry:

:wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Only 150 of those were at the gym. The rest was from a 3 hour ballet class. Can you believe it???

oh and seriously, I love to watch dance of any kind. Ballerinas are the most graceful and peaceful dancers.....:love:

(did you see the ballerina on so you think you can dance? she is doing great!)
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    Whenever I hit the gym (usually 3-4 times per week) I burn anywhere between 950-1000 calories each time. How do I know this for sure? 3 words:

Heart Rate Monitor.

If you haven't got one, I'd highly suggest you pick one up! I found out that the calorie counter on the elliptical machines at my gym were shorting me in burned calories by as much as half of what I was actually burning! (Machine would read 500 calories...HRM said I was burning over 1000!)

So if you jogged for 53 minutes and only burned 324 calories, it might actually be more than that :smile:

Jeff @ YEG
  • slieber
    Options
    ROFLMAO! The count WAS via my HRM! :-) I have the Polar F6. I even shut it off between classes and when we had a significant delay between sessions.

My ballet teacher works us very hard. The first 45 mins was conditioning. The next hour and a half was a solid, painful technique class that is physically challenging even for the most conditioned of dancers.

Then the pointe class for about 30 mins, before we went in to practice for this weekend's show. Because I'm in two different numbers in the show, and BOTH were up for alternating rehearsal sets, I did not get the same break that the other dancers did. I danced continuously for the second half hour.

I did discover that ballet is like doing interval workout - the heart is taxed, then relaxed, then taxed, then relaxed. My HR in ballet goes up sometimes to about 165 when it is really only supposed to be up to 140 (80% capacity).
  • slieber
    Options
    Jogging for 53 mins could really only be about 324 cals. I do the elliptical and in 30 mins barely make 200 cals, even on interval and quite challenging. My hour-long workout, without weight training, just covers 300 cals (abs and stretching). WITH weight training in addition to the above, it's about 380 cals - about an hour and a half.

The HRM, if it has your vitals, often shows fewer calories than the general machines do. Can be quite frustrating!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    dear slieber,

signed,

the girl that wogged or 53 minutes, sweated her butt off and burned 324 cals:cry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • slieber
    Options
    dear slieber,

signed,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I treble that laugh! :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Jogging for 53 mins could really only be about 324 cals. I do the elliptical and in 30 mins barely make 200 cals, even on interval and quite challenging. My hour-long workout, without weight training, just covers 300 cals (abs and stretching). WITH weight training in addition to the above, it's about 380 cals - about an hour and a half.

The HRM, if it has your vitals, often shows fewer calories than the general machines do. Can be quite frustrating!

well I feel better now! If I burn the same as a conditioned ballerina, I am a happy camper. When I started here I burned 400 + in a 30 min walk because I was so out of shape. If I used my elliptical it was almost 500-600. Now I have to work hard to burn anything.

not complaining:laugh:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Whenever I hit the gym (usually 3-4 times per week) I burn anywhere between 950-1000 calories each time. How do I know this for sure? 3 words:

Heart Rate Monitor.

If you haven't got one, I'd highly suggest you pick one up! I found out that the calorie counter on the elliptical machines at my gym were shorting me in burned calories by as much as half of what I was actually burning! (Machine would read 500 calories...HRM said I was burning over 1000!)

So if you jogged for 53 minutes and only burned 324 calories, it might actually be more than that :smile:

Jeff @ YEG
    That's true if you're a guy! For a me, 127 pound girl, I spent an hour jogging to burn only 300 calories. My husband burns twice as many as me, running at the same speed.
  • mpdpratima
    mpdpratima Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I get on the treadmill and up the elevation, I can get up to 500 calories in an hour. If I do the recumbant bike at a high difficulty, I can get 700 in the same time period. I am more exhausted after the treadmill, so who knows what is really accurate?
  • sbjg2430
    sbjg2430 Posts: 19
    Options
    just got done with an hour of walking on the treadmill and my HRM said i burned 550 cals. so i guess it just depends on your situation!

congrats on burning so many in dance class though! wow!
  • rockchic9382
    Options
    Where's the best place to pick up a HRM???
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Where's the best place to pick up a HRM???

Ebay!

WTG OP 1000 calories is fantastic!
  • lisamgould
    lisamgould Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't think it matters how accurate the count is... I use it as a reference. Food is the same way...I enter everything I eat and use the info supplied but how do we know it is completely accurate? At least by entering them in the food and exercise diary we are conscious of what we are doing and that makes it beneficial. We see the results each and every day by all the pounds everyone on this site is losing and that is what we need to focus on...RESULTS. Don't get caught up in the details it will make you crazy!! Just enjoy the healthy lifestyle choices we are all making and living!!!
  • jamijensen
    Options
    My husband is an exercise physiologist, and he often explains why men burn more calories than women when I complain that he burned twice as many calories as me when we run together. It also has to do with how much you weigh, though. The more you weigh, the more you burn running the same distance as someone who weighs less because your body is less efficient and has to work harder.

Really, though, distance is the key. On average, people burn around 100 calories a mile (walking or running). If you only ran about 3 miles, then 324 calories is probably accurate. If you ran 5 or 6, I'd get that Garmin or HR monitor checked!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to learn to dance :cry:.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    On average, people burn around 100 calories a mile (walking or running).

wouldn't running burn more than walking? higher heart rate right? or am I misunderstanding this sentence?
  • slieber
    Options
    I've always wanted to learn to dance :cry:.

Then do it! Granted, I've been dancing most of my life, but there are loads of adults who are only just starting out and they make such rapid progress as compared with youngsters. PLUS, you get to exercise AND be creative.

And, well, you'll discover muscles you never knew you had. Even with all my years, my teachers are still finding muscles I haven't been using! LOL!
  • slieber
    Options
    On average, people burn around 100 calories a mile (walking or running).

wouldn't running burn more than walking? higher heart rate right? or am I misunderstanding this sentence?

I remember reading somewhere that it depends on a lot of factors. No matter whether I do a steady 130-140 beats per minute for 30 mins, or interval, where I'm up to 140+ for a certain amount of time, on a heavier resistance, and down to 120-125 for that same amount on a recovery resistance, I still tend to burn the same amount of calories. Part of it, I'm sure, is to do with weight - I've lost a lot of weight and am VERY fit according to all measures (doctor's, exercise folk and my own), and although still overweight, have a lot of muscle.

I'm just hoping to break this danged plateau for good this week! We shall see....