HRM Question

Options
Hello

I just got my heart rate monitor. It's the Proform precision XT which is the same as the Reebok one. I have a couple of questions. How do you get it to calculate the calories you burn during the day. I want to wear it for a 24 hour period just out of curiosity. Also, when I exercise do I have to subtract the resting calories from the total? How do you calculate the resting calories? Is it just the BMR or the 1200 that MFP allocates to me?

Thanks

Corky

Replies

• corky882002
    Options
    Anyone?

Thanks
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I don't have that HRM, I have a Polar F6. I personally don't subtract my BMR/resting calories, but some people do. :ohwell: I think to have it calculate the calories you burn during the whole day, you would just wear it all day and have it set to count the calories (again, I don't have this model HRM), Hopefully someone with the same HRM will reply with some better suggestions and help. :smile:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hello

I just got my heart rate monitor. It's the Proform precision XT which is the same as the Reebok one. I have a couple of questions. How do you get it to calculate the calories you burn during the day. I want to wear it for a 24 hour period just out of curiosity. Also, when I exercise do I have to subtract the resting calories from the total? How do you calculate the resting calories? Is it just the BMR or the 1200 that MFP allocates to me?

Thanks

Corky

To calculate the calories you burn during the day, you just turn it on like you were exercising, and don't turn it off. I think everyone wants to try this when they first get a HRM I know I did.

When you exercise,do not worry about your resting calories. They are insignificant to the calories burned in your 30 mins to 1 hour of exercise. ie you burned 300 calories, your resting calories might have been 10 in same timeframe.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I did the calculations for resting cals sometime ago and found they WERE so insignificant that it didn't really matter. When I'm exercising, the only time I turn off the monitor is when I have a significant delay between exercise sessions - e.g. going from the gym to my dance class. Otherwise, I don't bother turning it off during any session and don't bother to subtract the alleged resting cals.
  • corky882002
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I love seeing how many calories I am really burning and I have been surprised by the discrepancy between the monitor and the machine. It may explain why i haven't lost as much as I thought I would have.

Thanks again

Corky