Vegetarian trying to lose weight and get on track

Options
So... Just joined here about 2 weeks ago, at 140-141 right now, aiming for 125-130 as my goal... Age 26, just got off birth control pills and Wellbutrin which caused me to gain a fast 8 pounds in a few months, frustrating to say the least. I think being on BC non-stop for 12 years was too long, no plans to get back on it, so that is not an option. Getting back on Wellbutrin also not preferred, trying to get back to natural...
First few weeks I had my goal set a bit too high I think at 1 1/2 lbs per week, my cal was 1200, set it to lose 1 lb per week so now cal intake is at 1400 which I feel will be better with the working out I have been doing... Anyway, it's all in my diary but I have been working out at least 4 times per week, have been logging regularly, started working out about 4 weeks ago, even before starting logging here... Not feeling like I am seeing many results... Clothing feels no different, scale is so up and down I'm trying not to look at it. It's not always logged but I get at least 8 glasses of water a day, nothing else but tea or occationally coffee.

A few questions/concerns:
As a vegetarian, what are my best options to help lose? I just purchased Aria protein powder and have been drinking with every meal, good idea/bad?
I have heard mixed views on the whole eating or not eating the exercise calories, I was eating them since starting, but have heard that not eating them/part of them may help... ?
History of Thyroid issues but have been tested and still come up fine as of a month ago, normal range though I think they def play a part in things...

Taking fiber 1 chews

Have been taking some supplements such as DIM plus to help regulate my hormones, 5 HTP, Magnesium, Multivitamin...
Also started CLA and organic Spirulina starting today to help see if they make any difference in helping tone.

Exercise at the gym is 3-4 times per week, usually elliptical/stairstepper/bike set on the interval/weight loss program. Take Yoga/Pilates twice per week 45 mins. I did throw my back out pretty badly a few months ago so had to stop weight training for a bit, though I am at the point I can start re-introducing it. The sprain was a deep lower back sprain, so even crunches were painful.

Any overall thoughts/insights?

Replies

• Bernie526
    Bernie526 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm a vegetarian, too. Every day, I eat a banana before the gym, a protein shake (Muscle Milk Light) after the gym, Greek yogurt (0% Fage) with berries, a big salad with some sort of protein (beans, cheese) thrown in, and 2 KIND bars when I'm hungry. As for the calories, I believe it works this way: My baseline is 1200. That's the minimum my trainer said I should eat every day. Anything added on is burned off during working out. If you eat those extra calories, you can't use them towards the 3,500-calorie deficit you need to lose one pound. I read somewhere here that one member's trick was to never eat her extra calories, and she's lost a bunch of weight that way.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So... Just joined here about 2 weeks ago, at 140-141 right now, aiming for 125-130 as my goal... Age 26, just got off birth control pills and Wellbutrin which caused me to gain a fast 8 pounds in a few months, frustrating to say the least. I think being on BC non-stop for 12 years was too long, no plans to get back on it, so that is not an option. Getting back on Wellbutrin also not preferred, trying to get back to natural...
    First few weeks I had my goal set a bit too high I think at 1 1/2 lbs per week, my cal was 1200, set it to lose 1 lb per week so now cal intake is at 1400 which I feel will be better with the working out I have been doing... Anyway, it's all in my diary but I have been working out at least 4 times per week, have been logging regularly, started working out about 4 weeks ago, even before starting logging here... Not feeling like I am seeing many results... Clothing feels no different, scale is so up and down I'm trying not to look at it. It's not always logged but I get at least 8 glasses of water a day, nothing else but tea or occationally coffee.

A few questions/concerns:
    As a vegetarian, what are my best options to help lose? I just purchased Aria protein powder and have been drinking with every meal, good idea/bad?
    I have heard mixed views on the whole eating or not eating the exercise calories, I was eating them since starting, but have heard that not eating them/part of them may help... ?
    History of Thyroid issues but have been tested and still come up fine as of a month ago, normal range though I think they def play a part in things...

Taking fiber 1 chews

Have been taking some supplements such as DIM plus to help regulate my hormones, 5 HTP, Magnesium, Multivitamin...
    Also started CLA and organic Spirulina starting today to help see if they make any difference in helping tone.

Exercise at the gym is 3-4 times per week, usually elliptical/stairstepper/bike set on the interval/weight loss program. Take Yoga/Pilates twice per week 45 mins. I did throw my back out pretty badly a few months ago so had to stop weight training for a bit, though I am at the point I can start re-introducing it. The sprain was a deep lower back sprain, so even crunches were painful.

Any overall thoughts/insights?

So here are some general guidelines for deficits.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Based on this, you really should be setting your goals to .5 lbs per week. The reason you do this is because the smaller you get, the more your body fights to preserve body fat as it's the best source of energy. Also, you should look into eating 50-75% of your exercise calories or add the activity into the TDEE calculation. This should supply your body with the right nutrition that it won't be afraid to drop the weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi - I'm a vegetarian, too. Every day, I eat a banana before the gym, a protein shake (Muscle Milk Light) after the gym, Greek yogurt (0% Fage) with berries, a big salad with some sort of protein (beans, cheese) thrown in, and 2 KIND bars when I'm hungry. As for the calories, I believe it works this way: My baseline is 1200. That's the minimum my trainer said I should eat every day. Anything added on is burned off during working out. If you eat those extra calories, you can't use them towards the 3,500-calorie deficit you need to lose one pound. I read somewhere here that one member's trick was to never eat her extra calories, and she's lost a bunch of weight that way.

There are a few problems with not eating exercise calories. First, your body won't be properly fueled nor will it receive the nutrition it needs to function properly. Next, eating below your BMR (metabolic rate) can lead to a slower metabolism and you increase the chance of losing lean muscle mass.

So yes, that person probably lost a lot of weight, but over time, you will greatly hurt your chances to maintain or even continue to lose. My question would be, do you want a metabolism that could burn 1200 calories or 1500 calories?
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of protein powders, but I do have friends that swear by them...

Some days I do eat my exercise calories and some days I don't. I base that decision on how hungry I am.

The one comment I have about your diary is that you seem to eat very little vegetables for a vegetarian. :wink: Instead of relying on a fiber chew, maybe add some salads or high-fiber veggies to your diet.
  • placebo09
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of protein powders, but I do have friends that swear by them...

Some days I do eat my exercise calories and some days I don't. I base that decision on how hungry I am.

The one comment I have about your diary is that you seem to eat very little vegetables for a vegetarian. :wink: Instead of relying on a fiber chew, maybe add some salads or high-fiber veggies to your diet.

I was doing quite well for awhile but yes I have slacked lately... I def will try to get back on that... They are so darn expensive but buying frozen has helped :)
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    briefly looking at your numbers your proein isnt making your goal which is very low because MFP tends to be very low. and your carbs are slighty high, i personally shoot for 40-40-20 ratio, protein -carb - fats . not eating meet makes protein slightly difficult but it looks liek you found a protein power you like, if you dont want to constantly be drinking shakes, try cooklng or baking with it, jamie Eason has excellent recipies that are healthy and may help you bring down carbs and raise your protein levels .

good luck!
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh, I completely understand. My food bills have tripled since I switched over to being vegetarian. I just find that I can eat way more if I add in more veggies. What about beans? Cheap, high in fiber and protein.