Five weeks - no weight loss

Options
I am a 59-year-old female, sedentary job, work from my home. I started January 1, 2012, counting calories and exercising. I have been doing Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" three mile walk at least four times a week, sometimes five, sometimes twice a day. I have not lost one pound. I eat out maybe once a week at Subway with a six-inch ham and cheese on whole wheat. That's my treat!!!!! I have been on every diet known to man so I know what to eat and I've been eating right.

The first week, I just counted calories. When I didn't lose any weight, I was a bit more careful about what I was eating and decided to wait two weeks before weighing myself so I wouldn't get discouarged. Again, not a pound off. For the next two weeks, I was even more careful about my choices - eating more vegetables, fewer carbs, fewer foods that contained sugar. I stopped eating at 7 p.m. I doubled my exercise to twice a day. Two weeks yesterday - Not a pound. I am beyond discouraged.

Today, I have decided to take the low carb route and see what happens. Can anyone offer me any advice or tell me why this has happened. I have never had trouble losing weight before.

Replies

• ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    seems youre having a slow metabolism problem. I should suggest cutting most (not all) of carbs and eating good protein (i.e, fish, chicken), avoid all kind of sugar and bread, take only a copule of fruits per day, and continue the workouts.

try drinking green tea or hibiscus tea (no sugar) to get rid of accumulated water.

be patient!! :D
  • EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you do not mind, make your diary public that way people can see what you are eating and how many calories burned you are recording.
  • DixieEcho
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I'm encouraged now to keep going and am going to take your advice.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, what a bummer!
    Leslie Sansone rocks! I love walk away the pounds!

Some tips that help break plateaus, and might get you going better...
    Add weight training if you haven't already. Water bottles and soup cans work great for a beginner.
    Drink more water. I drink, on average, 12-16 8oz glasses. Helps purge water weight, flush out excess sodium, keep your digestive tract moving, and all that. For optimal weight loss, one suggestion in to drink half your weight in pounds as ounces of water. (I weigh about 190, so I need about 95oz.) Work up to it. Just keep sipping! Yes, I had to run to the bathroom alot when I started, but now I'm the same as I was before I started drinking so much.
    Ban anything white from your kitchen - white bread, white potatoes, white rice, white sugar, etc. More color means more nutrients and more bang for your buck.
    Up the veggies - look for rich colors for the most nutrients.

Give yourself time! It will come! You body is adjusting to something really new, and sometimes it will fight you on it. Keep up the steady work, and you'll be dropping in no time!
  • magicsd77
    Options
    I'm 51. I started Leslie's DVDS in September and by 1/1/2012 had not lost any pounds. 1/1 i added some weighted gloves and the weighted belt and rotated working out with them and without. I also started doing debra mazda shapely girl walk, and switch around so i didn't get bored. I have lost 8 pounds since 1/1/2012. I think adding the weights and rotating the workouts helped my metabolism. I also changed my calorie goal, because I work a deskjob too. Even with a 45 min to 1 hour workout, i try to stay at least 100 calories below what MFP says. Stick with it, you can do it.
  • DixieEcho
    Options
    Thank you!
  • katwj76
    katwj76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same boat -5 weeks, completely changing my diet and exercising more than ever, and I gained 10 pounds. Someone told me that my body was hanging on to dear life to the weight and water because it was not used to it, but I'm also on Seroquel (notorious for weight gains up to a pound a day), I will be off in two weeks and hope the pounds start melting away then. Good luck!
  • DixieEcho
    Options
    I was so hesitant to post my problem, but I am so glad I did. Thanks to all for the advice. :happy: