Evening and Night-time eaters- HELP!

Options
What are some of your strategies? I've been looking back over my food log and thinking about my habits and I've noticed that I can eat fine and healthy all day but when I get home I just shovel it in. What do you do to eat healthy at night? Should I try to eat more during the day so that (in theory) I won't be hungry when I get home?

Replies

• little_gothic_girl
    Options
    im interested in hearing about this too, i am the same way... my daytime food is good, lo cal, healthy, ect and then at night i go crazy with the bad foods...
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I am only bad at night anymore, because I'm too tired not to. Two ways I've handled this.
    1. Only have healthy choices in the house, that way you can never eat something you shouldn't. (Nearly impossible to do if you live with anyone else!)
    2. "Close" the kitchen after a certain time. I go to bed around 10pm, so the kitchen is closed from 8pm on. Only things I'm allowed is herbal tea and water. This has been of much higher success for me!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I stay away from grain-centric snacks at night, because they're triggering for me.

My go-tos:
    Frozen grapes
    Scoop of protein with almond milk
    Veggies and hummus
    The occasional 100-calorie bag of popcorn IF I feel in control - otherwise, this makes me want more carbs
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and what I have been tryin is rice cakes or popcorn, just popcorn no salt of butter. That or veggies and hotwater with lemon to help feel full. I think mine is nerves....
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I try to keep unhealthy snacky foods OUT of my home. It is hard, but I have noticed that if it there I will eat it, if I have only healthy snacky foods then I am in the clear! Also, are you eating enough during the day? If I get home and I am famished I am more likely to binge.

Try to stock up on some hummus and pitas and cut up veggies, fruit cut up and put into baggies or tupperware, homemade popsicles with fruit and yogurt, kale chips, etc...
  • leeann788
    leeann788 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too find my night time habits to be the worst. I've tried coping by using these strategies:

1. If it's not in the house in the first place, I won't eat it...so I try not to buy the unhealthy stuff right off the bat!
    2. If I feel like I'm going to cave, I brush my teeth. Don't ask me why, but this works.
    3. I have a cup of tea and a low fat/cal treat...sometimes you need that little bit of sweet, and total deprivation doesn't work.
    4. I take a bath, do a craft...or call a friend. Anything to get my mind off it!

And last but certainly not least as it's my FAVORITE:wink:

5. I pour myself a nice glass of Red wine.

I'd like to hear others strategies as well!

Good luck girls...we can all do this!
  • Dianab67
    Dianab67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl, staying up until 2 or 3am and not getting up until late morning. This wreaks havoc with my eating habits but I'm slowly changing them. I have some roasted almonds on hand and fat free Snack Pack pudding cups for when the sweet cravings hit. I also keep lunch meat on hand and make a sort of "roll up" with thin sliced swiss cheese and oven roasted turkey meat from the deli. I'll try to eat light during the day so I can afford some late night snacks. I'm new to this site but have been under my caloric intake so far.
  • armywife35
    Options
    I am the same way! what works for me is brushing teeth and/or mouth wash, don't really want to eat when your breath is minty fresh. also chewing gum can help with snacking.
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat skinny cow ice cream/candy at night.... yes, every night lol and I've lost 21 lbs in a little over a month. My thought is, if I deprive myself of what I love, then this lifestyle change isn't going to work for me. A delicious ice cream cone is only 150cals and hits the spot :-)
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with LeeAnn; if it's not in the house, you won't eat it. Have some veggies and hummus around if you are a night time snacker, like me. Crunchy things work well, like apples, previously mentioned almonds, etc. And I am also in favor of having a nice glass of red wine! :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I save some calories for night-time snacking. I'm a huge night-time eater. I get myself some dark chocolate for chocolate cravings-- they're individually wrapped for portion control. When I hit my calorie goal for the day I brush my teeth and get water to drink. Now if I'm hungry, I find something healthy to eat, but if I'm just craving stuff I have some hot tea-- it gives the illusion of having something without actually adding calories.
  • rae_mayer
    Options
    I find that I carbo load when I get home. I don't really keep sweets or salty snacks anymore... and so I've switched to carbs. I just can't win! :laugh:

I'm going to have to try either drinking tea or brushing my teeth. I haven't tried those yet.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I make sure to have protein with my last snack/meal of the day, and when i have my 8 glasses of water throughout the day it helps me feel fuller. Nighttime binging was an issue for me, now it does't seem to be.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I build my night time snack into my meal plan. I don't do well with deprivation. I work long hours and by the time I get home, have dinner and workout it it's late. I won't buy my binge foods, but I try to keep something like Skinny Cow treats/ice cream or something else portion controled in the house. It also helps that my husband is home nights now so I'm not bored snacking. He WILL ask me if I really want it or if I'm just eating because it's there. Annoys the stuffing out of me but for the most part it works.

Hot chocolate (SF) works well for me most nights too.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. Last week I started skipping breakfast and having my first meal at lunch. It seems to be working and I even have spare calories when I go to bed. I find that when I eat breakfast, I am starving all day long.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing. i usually drink a protein shake. i got a cookies and creme flavor that really hits the spot, especially when added to a cup of vanilla soy milk :D