A ? about Slim in 6

Options
bonkers5975
bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm a true cynic, but I was watching this infomercial for Slim in 6 last night, I started to get truly excited. I'm not sure why, I think mostly because the program just looked like fun to follow, and if something is fun, I'll get off my lardbutt and do it. But here's my question.

I am having fabulous success with walking, and an occasional stationary bike ride. Losing about 4lbs a week. I have bad knees, bad ankles, foot problems, etc, but these two forms of exercise are really working for me right now. However, I know at some point I will likely stall and need to switch up my routine, and I'm like, what the hell am I going to do then? So I was wondering about the Slim in 6. It looks like a great cardio workout, but the commercial leads you to believe it's low impact.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it, and what they think. Is it worth the cost?

Now, in no way, no matter what the pretty lady on the tv says, do I expect to look like a supermodel, ever, much less in six weeks. But it looks like it could be a great routine to work in.

Thanks for listening, thoughts muchly appreciated!:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:

Replies

• bitty_401
    bitty_401 Posts: 75
    Options
    It all depends on what are you looking for.And what you really want.
    I've been looking myself for some work outs programs like that one; but sincerely, I see that if you want to be a work out freak or are trying to compete with whoever even with yourself, then it will be good for you.But as for me I had bought several of those and once I try it it becomes like routine and there is not much of excitement anymore and just money loss.That's all.Everyone is trying to sell something that makes miracle and we get very excited with the infocommercials and what they show but it is not worth it.Just think of what you are looking for and with your health condition, you should be more careful.I've got the same health conditions and what doctor told me was, make it as a slow progress and try to lose 1 pound by week so skin will get to its place.If you get stall then you could alternate walking and jogging(slow) or fast walking for ten minutes and slow walking for five or you could do some aerobics, swimming, bike riding...See you have to make it work for you.I'm doing it and it works.
    But I won't buy any more of those programs if I'm not looking for an athletic built body.Good luck.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of videos, because I get bored very easily. I too love to walk and do so a few times a week.

I have Slim in Six and love the program. They have a lot of lunges and squats, but learned these are great for my booty-soooooooooo.

What I would love to say here is that you do not have to be perfect in the programs. Do your best and you WILL get better. Period.

I have Leslie Sansome walk away the pounds and love it!

I like my 10 minute trainers that I bought for 10 bucks at Walmart. This got me into learning new exercises without the threat of a 1 hour failure.

Oops, too chatty today. Sorry:blushing:
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Thank you , bitty, very sound advice! :flowerforyou:
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    I have a variety of videos, because I get bored very easily. I too love to walk and do so a few times a week.

I have Slim in Six and love the program. They have a lot of lunges and squats, but learned these are great for my booty-soooooooooo.

What I would love to say here is that you do not have to be perfect in the programs. Do your best and you WILL get better. Period.

I like my 10 minute trainers that I bought for 10 bucks at Walmart. This got me into learning new exercises without the threat of a 1 hour failure.

:laugh:

I've heard quite a few people talk about watp, is that for a treadmill, or actually going out and walking? I love walking, except for the hills :tongue: I've never tried an exercise dvd because I feel like I can't keep up, so that's good to know too. But I'm on this kick of proving to myself that I can do it! Is the slim in 6 fairly low impact? I'm thinking of getting for after I get off the first 50-100 lbs, to finish up and tone up.

Thanks!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I've heard quite a few people talk about watp, is that for a treadmill, or actually going out and walking? I love walking, except for the hills :tongue: I've never tried an exercise dvd because I feel like I can't keep up, so that's good to know too. But I'm on this kick of proving to myself that I can do it! Is the slim in 6 fairly low impact? I'm thinking of getting for after I get off the first 50-100 lbs, to finish up and tone up.

Thanks!
    WATP It is a very low impact exercise video. I use it when I am using weather as an excuse to not exercise. I always say.......I will just do a few minutes, and end up doing the whole thing.

DO not avoid buying a video because you can keep up!! Please! I did that for years until a trainer reminded me that anything I do is more than I was doing 5 minutes before I popped the vid in!! :laugh:

Slim in 6 is very low impact. Old fashioned exercise in the Start it up.

I tell ya, the 10 minute trainer videos are really good. This will challenge the heck out of you and yet only 10 mins. that is how I started!

BTW good progress so far!!
  • McLachfan
    McLachfan Posts: 50
    Options
    I just bought the SI6 program and started it this past Monday. I really like it and I am getting results... down 6 pounds so far. Much of that I believe has to do with the diet just as much as the exercise as I am doing the SI6 Express Diet Plan (today is my last day on that... yay!) The workout is tough. There are A LOT of lunges and squats. I had a hard time walking the few days. On the strength training part of the video you do a lot of leg lifts which are REALLY tough... I have yet to get through them without taking a break. And if you have problems with your knees you will likely really struggle with these as they are hard on my knees a little. Like with any exercise video, it does get redundant (sp?) so I do switch it up a little and alternate between the videos, the gym, and the Wii Fit. But the program does work... you just have to commit to it.

I would say try and find someone who has the program so you can borrow it first. With your health issues I would think it may not be the best program for you and if walking and biking are working then I would stick with that. But I understand wanting to have more options. The SI6 program does give you alternate exercises to do that are easier so you may be okay.

Hope that helps.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for the info! I like to make informed decisions.

I am hoping that by the time I order this, I'll be a good deal lighter, and hopefully my issues with my joints will be much improved.

Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • kanew89
    kanew89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Slim in 6 is low impact...not a lot of jumping around at all. In fact the most impact is the "half Jacks" and in the Burn It Up video and there are only like 4 sets total (non consecutive). BUT if you have bad knees this is definitely not a good program for you at this time. I've heard people say Debbie S. can really whip your lower body into shape and it's mainly due to the lunges, squats, leg kicks and the floor work segment! It is tough...I'm on week 5 and still find the Burn it Up video challenging. You could certainly modify the moves when you need to...Debbie does give some alternates to some of the moves. Check out: www.collagevideo.com They review hundreds of work out videos and give you lots of info on the content and categorize the videos. Check it out, I think you'll find it helpful in selecting a video.
  • kanew89
    kanew89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you cant find someone to borrow the video from, check out Amazon.com. There are tons of used videos at very reasonable prices!
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    Options
    I just started week 5 of slim in 6. It is challenging, don't get me wrong, but I have found it boring from the beginning. It is just not my kind of exercise. I find it too static with no energy to it, maybe I like to jump around more. The resistance band portion is only about 5 minutes of an hour. I bought it because a neighbour raved about it. I will finish it, but I am so bored with it! My favourite part is the punching and kicking, but it doesn't last for very long. I know my booty is firmer from all the squats and lunges, but...snore!

I would also think that the floor work on all fours and all the squats and lunges would be pretty tough on problem knees and hips.
  • bonkers5975
    Options
    Thanks, guys! This is very helpful!:flowerforyou: