Got any brussel sprout or good veg recipes?

Options
I have never had brussel sprouts. Always seemed josey grosey. But I am about tired of broccoli and asparagus. I love cabbage, and turnip greens and collard greens. I'm ok with squash.

So, does anyone want to share some recipes for veggies with me? Especially brussel sprouts.

PS... there is something wrong with the search on the community....

Replies

• PoochPottery
    Options
    cut ends off brussel sprout and cut in half.

toss with olive oil and seasonings. ( like emerils BAM)

put in roasting pan and put under broiler, keep an eye on not to burn.

Turn a couple times till tender.

YUMMY!
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I never loved brussel sprouts, either, but they're now one of my favorites!

You can:
    -Cut them in half and grill them cut side down in a pan with some EVOO and garlic. I feel like they take on the most flavor when I cover them while they cook on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how done you like them and what else I'm making.
    -toss with EVOO, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, or whatever else you like and roast in the oven
    -toss with honey, sriracha, and chicken and roast
    -cook on stovetop as mentioned above and sprinkle with parmesan

You can also use butter or butter substitute on the stovetop, but that can get naughty... You can also use veggie broth. Basically anything they can soak up will give them a bit of plumpness and flavor, and just experiment with different seasonings! They're so delicious.
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like to just wash the brussel sprouts and spray a tad bit of oil spray and some garlic powder and salt. Then roast them in a 450 degree oven until brown. No cutting or anything so it is super easy to do :)
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I LOVE brussel sprouts! They must be fresh, though. Frozen ones are gross, in my opinion. You must take off outer leaves and cut them in halves or quarters. Blanche them for three minutes and fry them in cooking spray or olive oil with fresh garlic, spices of your choice ( l like a dash of cayenne pepper and tarragon) and I know I shouldn't, but I have to add a little bit of butter, or butter extract. Fry for 10 or 15 minutes or until tender.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    cut ends off brussel sprout and cut in half.

toss with olive oil and seasonings. ( like emerils BAM)

put in roasting pan and put under broiler, keep an eye on not to burn.

Turn a couple times till tender.

YUMMY!

I do something similar but roast instead of broil. Halve the sprouts, toss to coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan or cookie sheet and make sure they aren't piled on top of each other- you want them in one single layer. Make sure you include any leaves that come apart in the mix, don't waste them! Pop them in a 425 oven for 20-30 minutes or until dark brown in spots, stirring once half way through. Some leaves will shred off and get really brown and crispy. they are the BEST PART. They are like Brussels sprout potato chips.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts are great roasted and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
  • angraham2
    Options
    I like them saute'd with bacon and onions. then tossed with a touch of balsamic vinegar. MMMM....
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This obviously should have been in the Recipe category... I wasn't thinkin'.

But all sound so yummy. I think I'll go get some!!
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I steam them a bit then throw in a pan with evoo and salt, pepper, and garlic powder and sautee them. :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I use frozen (easier) and add applesauce (unsweetened) and steam them- the applesauce takes away ALL of the bitterness. Then salt and pepper - then my wide open trap. NOM.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Wonderful...
    So, they are bitter huh?
    What about other good veggie recipes?
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Shred them and stir fry adding toasted pinenuts at the end.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also shred them in my food processor, cook some prosciutto until crispy, add a little garlic and olive oil to pan, add the shredded sprouts and cook for a few minutes. VERY good!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Wonderful...
    So, they are bitter huh?
    What about other good veggie recipes?

Not bitter at all if you get small fresh ones. If they are giant sized, they may be bitter.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    I also shred them in my food processor, cook some prosciutto until crispy, add a little garlic and olive oil to pan, add the shredded sprouts and cook for a few minutes. VERY good!
    This sounds great.
    I roasted my in the oven cut in half with olive oil and some seasoning...
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts:
    - Cut them in half
    - Steam them
    - Spread on baking sheet
    - Drizzle with olive oil
    - Sprinkle with Salt & Pepper & Lemon Juice & Garlic
    - Roast in a convection oven at 400 degrees, turning once or twice...

**DELICIOUSNESS! :)