Training programs for running

Options
I have just started running about maybe a month ago and so far I love it!! Never thought I would say that…I am 40 years old and have not ran since high school. I run three to four times a week about 3 miles each time. I have not advanced to running the entire 3 miles straight, I usually run about 5 minutes and walk a minute ~ My question is should I be running every day? Also I singed up to run my first half a marathon in September 2012. Are they any suggestions for me what I should be doing to train for this? I do weight training on my off days. I don’t belong to a gym because it is a waste of money for me. I enjoy running outdoors vs a treadmill, but plan on buying a used one for the rainy days. I have weights at home and a couple of medicine balls.

Thank you in advanced for your suggestions :bigsmile:

Replies

• carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Where is the love MFPals?????
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I say do the couch to 5K or follow a hal higdon program which are great too
  • spendsitwell
    spendsitwell Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You sound alot like what I am doing. I run/walk about 4 miles. I was doing this every day and started to get burned out. Now I am trying to drop it down to every other day. A friend of mine runs every day but he told me he started every other until he became stronger. There is a program I have on my phone that is called C25K. Its a running interval program. You might want to try that. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Besides doing C25K there is also this site that I use on facebook and she helps a lot with different exercises and preparing people for running marathons. http://skinnyms.com/running-schedule-for-absolute-beginners/ She is also willing to email with you about what type of help you need and such.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need to be running every single day. If you'd like to, you can. But 3-4x a week or so is great.

I'd also recommend Hal Higdon. I'm training for my first half-marathon in May. I've started the 12week Novice2 program this week.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/
  • mdink620
    mdink620 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Hal Higdon's program! I did my first half last year using his training plan, I ended up running 3 halfs last year using his training schedule each time, just moving up from the novice to the intermediate. Have fun and enjoy! There is nothing so wonderful as crossing that finish line the first time!!
  • carriann2012
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for all the advice :smile: I love them all!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    At this point running every day would probably be too much. Four times a week is probably about ideal.

For the half marathon, right now you just need to build base miles to increase endurance. Increase your weekly distance by about 10% or one mile for every day you run and then hold at that level for two or three weeks before increasing again. If you start feeling really tired then decrease the miles for a week to recover before increasing them again. When you feel up to it add a fifth day if you want to.

You should aim at building up to around 30 miles per week ( running comfortably) by June and then start a half marathon training program. Right now just run comfortably. There is no need to worry about speed workouts until you build an aerobic endurance base. How far you do each run doesn't really matter but you should aim to be running for at least an hour one day a week by June.

When it comes to running the most important thing is consistency week to week. The second most important thing is volume. So, run as much as you can to build volume but not so much that you get injured or burned out and ruin the consistency.
  • carriann2012
    Options
    At this point running every day would probably be too much. Four times a week is probably about ideal.

For the half marathon, right now you just need to build base miles to increase endurance. Increase your weekly distance by about 10% or one mile for every day you run and then hold at that level for two or three weeks before increasing again. If you start feeling really tired then decrease the miles for a week to recover before increasing them again. When you feel up to it add a fifth day if you want to.

You should aim at building up to around 30 miles per week ( running comfortably) by June and then start a half marathon training program. Right now just run comfortably. There is no need to worry about speed workouts until you build an aerobic endurance base. How far you do each run doesn't really matter but you should aim to be running for at least an hour one day a week by June.

When it comes to running the most important thing is consistency week to week. The second most important thing is volume. So, run as much as you can to build volume but not so much that you get injured or burned out and ruin the consistency.

Thank you :)
  • fatgirlruns
    Options
    I love this topic!! C25k is a good start. It always helps to have a goal race in mind. After your first 5k, you can build to a 10k and then a half or stop at whatever distance you want to.

My first official training program was with Team in Training. It was 3x a week and then a group run on early Sunday. The community aspect was amazing. I don't know if I would have stuck with it if I didn't have that. Plus you have coaches who are really knowledgeable about running who can give you information on everything from injury prevention to shoes to nutrition. It is a time commitment though to run and raise $$ to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. But, oh so rewarding. I ran my first (and only right now ) half marathon in January 2011. I would recommend that experience to anybody!!

Good luck and keep us updated.
  • carriann2012
    Options
    Thank for your response :) I am looking forward to this and I will give an update !! :drinker:
  • brett1117
    Options
    search "hal higdon"
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I started serious running a few years ago, and have completed 3 marathons. First, "no" you should not run every day - especially not while you are training. Training is a combination of (1) stress, (2) fuel and (3) rest. The stress is where you break your body down, the fuel is the good food to give you energy and build muscle, and the rest is when your body actually gets stronger. Any decent trainer or training program will tell you that the rest is as important (or more important) than the stress. One famous marathoner once said that it's better to be 10% "undertrained" than 1% overtrained since overtrained athletes tend to be injury prone or just plain worn out.

There are zillions of great books on training for a full or half marathon - the best (in my opinion) are by Bob Glover and Hal Higdon.

Remember - you do your first race to experience it and have fun, so don't worry too much about your time. Have fun - marathons and half marathons are incredibly difficult, but that's what makes them so rewarding when you finish. Good luck, keep us posted.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just checked out Hal Higdon...Love it!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have just started running about maybe a month ago and so far I love it!! Never thought I would say that…I am 40 years old and have not ran since high school. I run three to four times a week about 3 miles each time. I have not advanced to running the entire 3 miles straight, I usually run about 5 minutes and walk a minute ~ My question is should I be running every day? Also I singed up to run my first half a marathon in September 2012. Are they any suggestions for me what I should be doing to train for this? I do weight training on my off days. I don’t belong to a gym because it is a waste of money for me. I enjoy running outdoors vs a treadmill, but plan on buying a used one for the rainy days. I have weights at home and a couple of medicine balls.

Thank you in advanced for your suggestions :bigsmile:

I am also 40 and just started running recently. I would run every day if I could but I find that walking at between 3.0 and 4.0 on an incline of 7-10 gives me the rest I need in between and conditions my legs to run longer and faster. I went from running a minute and walking 2 to running for 6 minutes, then 9 and the next thing I knew I ran 7 miles. The inclines really strengthen the legs. I also use weights and upper body cardio while walking on my nonrunnning days. Good Luck and Congrats on loving it!
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    Good question.
    I've started running and I'm trying to increase the distance I go.
  • irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also check out the Runner's World website. You can plug in what you are running now and what your goal is and it will give you a training program. I found it to be very helpful as I planned my first half marathon last year. Good luck! :smile: