Running question!

Options
I'm really trying to improve my speed and stamina for running - I'm currently running between 15-20 miles a week. I'm also doing some circuit work - squats, burpees, sit-ups, push-ups, plank etc - The question I have is - Is the circuit work worth it? Will it help my running at all or should I focus more on upping my mileage? Hope that makes sense!

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying to improve my speed and stamina for running - I'm currently running between 15-20 miles a week. I'm also doing some circuit work - squats, burpees, sit-ups, push-ups, plank etc - The question I have is - Is the circuit work worth it? Will it help my running at all or should I focus more on upping my mileage? Hope that makes sense!

Strength training is crucial to your running game. You'll find that when you're strengthening your core and those major leg muscles, your runs will become easier. Definitely incorporate both into your routine and you'll be able to increase mileage/speed as well!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes. keep doing the circuits and running, strength=endurance!!
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength and circuit training will help you increase your speed more than just adding miles. Check out training books by Hal Higdon and Bob Glover; they will give you some good exercises to help with speed - (intervals, for example). Just adding miles helps with endurance, but to increase speed you need to work on different muscles, and to build stamina you need to run moderate distances at a slightly challenging pace. Every type of run has a different purpose.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm running about 15-16 miles per week, training for a second half marathon, and I just added strength training work like you've described (along with some strength machines at the gym) into my running/training program about a month ago and I feel like I am already seeing the benefits of increased endurance. I'd say keep it up!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I find my running improves remarkably when I'm strength training versus when I'm not. Keep it up! And great weekly mileage, btw!
  • beckamarie
    Options
    Running is hard to give up when you have limited slots of time with family and work and such but try to never give up those core/circuit workouts just for another run. It's the worst thing we do to ourselves. Keep a strong core to help keep the running injuries away!! Good job with everything!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It is TOTALLY worth it.
    You will be come a better runner with all-over strength training. It will make upping your mileage easier, and your speed should increase too (if you're trying).
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase speed and endurance is by increasing your mileage.

Don't worry about speed just yet, as you will get faster once you increase your endurance.
  • joeyearego
    Options
    Hi,

My sister in law recommended this website. This guy seems to be the man for marathon training. I follow many of the training regiments for half, 10k and 5k. Great for all levels of fitness. Hope this helps as it did for me.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/
    Joe
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That's great! Thanks for all the good advice - guess I just wanted to know that my efforts would be worth it! :happy:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Running only really execises three muscle groups.

To maintain balance... it's on you to exercise the other ones.

The stronger you are as a whole, the better runner you will become.
  • almyers10
    Options
    MeredithH6 is absolutely 100% correct. The stronger your core, the better runner you will be. I'm a runner, I've done everything from 5K's to marathons. Active.com and Runnersworld.com have many great articles on improving your runs safely. Good Luck and keep up the good work!
  • drlaura72
    Options
    I think we proved that increasing mileage doesn't make you faster. I think mixing it up really helps. I have been rowing as I struggle to get out running during the week but my running is getting better as a consequence.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Increasing mileage will make you faster over the distance. Any distance over around 800 meters is primarily aerobic. The only way to increase aerobic fitness for running is to run more.

Lifting weights and doing other exercises is good for a lot of other reasons, but they will not build the aerobic fitness needed for running.

My own personal and recent experience is that simply increasing mileage without any other exercise and without any speed training at all greatly increased my ability to run faster for longer.
  • ruthjulia
    Options
    I just started adding sprinting once a week and it's been really fun and made a big difference! I just swapped out one of my shorter (4-5 mile) runs and now I'll do one of the following instead:
    - 3.5 miles - 3/4 mile warm up, 2 mile sprint intervals, 3/4 mile cool down
    - 4 miles - 1/2 mile warm up, 1 mile sprint intervals, 1 mile pace, 1 mile sprint intervals, 1/2 mile cool down
    I did this as part of an overall overhaul of my fitness routine (needed to change things up a bit) but I've really been enjoying it and noticing a difference on my longer pace runs.

good luck!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Increasing mileage will make you faster over the distance. Any distance over around 800 meters is primarily aerobic. The only way to increase aerobic fitness for running is to run more.

Lifting weights and doing other exercises is good for a lot of other reasons, but they will not build the aerobic fitness needed for running.

My own personal and recent experience is that simply increasing mileage without any other exercise and without any speed training at all greatly increased my ability to run faster for longer.
    That's not true at all.

For illustration, you can hold a 50 pound weight in each hand, do curls lifting your hand ans weight up to your shoulder for as long as you can. Then a few days later do the same thing with a 10 pound weight. Then a few days later do the same with no weight at all in your hand. You could see how you will easily do longer and be able to go faster with less weight in your hand.

This is the exact same thing as building stronger leg muscle through strength training. You will essentially make you legs be able to move more weight with less effort, and thus be able to move faster and longer.