5 pound dumbbell workouts?

Options
I just ordered a pair of 5 lb dumbbells (5 pounds each one). Please do not laughing at me, I have zero uppoer body strength and I need to start somewhere. :blushing:

Any suggestions on some good starter workouts? I am planning on doing it 2 days a week and I do cardio 3 or 4 days a week.

Thanks!

Replies

• lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Jillain Michaels workouts are good ones to try with 5lb weights.

10lb Slimdown with Chris Freytag are good also.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options

This is great. Thanks for the link. I will give it a try with my measly 5 pound weights.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i use 5 lbs too. but for my p90x i think i might need to go up in weight. there are plenty of good ones out there with 5 lbs. i agree to try jillians. or even google.
  • snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in serious weight training without weights, that...could be a problem. :huh:

But in the meantime, here's a well respected body weight program that could be what you're looking for...

http://www.dragondoor.com/b41/
  • JamesVista
    Options
    I just ordered a pair of 5 lb dumbbells (5 pounds each one).

Got to start somewhere. Once you're used to them move on up to 10's. Anyways, check this video out..

Fitness Tips : Full-Body Dumbbell Workout Plan
    http://youtu.be/Lz0U3N6p6BQ

I think it's a good thing you're going with 5lb dumbbells. You don't want to start off heavy and risk an injury.
  • lina1131
    Options
    i use 5 lbs too. but for my p90x i think i might need to go up in weight. there are plenty of good ones out there with 5 lbs. i agree to try jillians. or even google.

I'm hoping one day I can do the p90x. I usually have to workout during my lunch break (I'd give you my i'm a mother of 2 one being a newborn and I work full time sob story but i'll save it for another time :laugh:). I'm hoping I can do something twice a week while the baby is napping on the days I work from home or on weekends.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 30 day shred. Maybe I should invest in that.
  • bindera
    bindera Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    try the 30 day shred! i do it with 5 lbs and it's a killer!
  • melrose09
    Options
    I bet you'll blow through those 5 pounders in no time! It's amazing how fast you gain strength when you really commit to it. Good luck and HAVE FUN! :)
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Lina,
    I am on day 3 of the 30 day shred. I use the 5 pound dumbells and its KICKING MY *kitten*!! Try it! I am soooo sore, I love it.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I am serious about getting started. I do plan on upping the weights and hopefully soon. I just didn't want to jump in lifting heavy weights when I haven't done much of strength training in the past year (because I was pregnant and then had a c-section).
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I actually think 5 lbs is a lot! I started out with 3 lb weights in doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and my arms were SO sore day after day! I eventually got used to it though.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just started something similar - found this animated site, check it out and pick the dumbell exercises you like:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Save some time and target the most muscles you can at once: squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press.

wifey can curl 5lb dumbells... but I got her deadlifting 70lb barbell. takes the same amount of time, don't even have to guess to figure out which one builds more strength and burns more energy.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other ladies, 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels, its only a 25 minute workout including warm up and cooldown, and the 5 lbs will kick your butt the first few days for it. I actually had to switch to 3lbs for the first few days and am trying 5lbs again now. I don't have much upper body strength either. And I would just ignore the JA who posted that earlier. It's not like you posted it in a heavy lifting group or thread!
  • Krystel022
    Options
    5 lbs is perfect to start out! Remember form is the most important part of a workout. i would start with basics: Bicep Curls, tricep extensions, front & lateral raises for upper body then combo exercises with lower for example:

walking lunges and bicep curls, squats with upright rows, side lunges with lateral raises
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    5 pound weights is a great place to start and the 30 day shred is a perfect way to get good use out of them! And it sounds like your time is limited, which makes the 30 day shred even better for you! Good Luck!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    5 pounds? seriously? Most women's purses are 5 pounds...

I don't even have the patience to answer this.

Set your goals higher.

You guys can hate on him all you want, but I do agree.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but setting the bar a little higher would be better.

Depends on your goal though. OP what are you after? A lean and athletic look cannot be achieved with just dumbbells. I would suggest using them for certain lifts, but getting into a gym and workoing on compound lifts with heavy ways is the way to make true progress:flowerforyou:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    5 pounds? seriously? Most women's purses are 5 pounds...

I don't even have the patience to answer this.

Set your goals higher.

Then why the EFF did you hit the reply button? Just to be an *kitten*?

It wasn't the best delivery, but he's right. Your purse weighs more than 5 pounds and you carry it for more time every day than you will be lifting your 5 pound weights.

The best thing you can do with them is hold them while you're doing aerobics... they won't provide any resistance training benefit but they will maybe make you work a bit harder in a step routine.