Carb Junkie

Options
I am having so much trouble kicking the carbs. I eat way too many of them. I just love bread so much. I can sit and eat just plain bread, no butter, nothing, just bread for everrrrrr.

I had a piece of fresh italian bread with my stuffed manicotti and here I am munching on another piece of it!

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• mallorymn
    mallorymn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes! I am in love with bread. I have tried kicking the bread, but it lasted only a day.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love bread!!! I suppose I have just decided that is one thing I will keep:) In moderation of course...
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to kick carbs? Do you have a medical condition?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating carbs, other than the fact that the simple carbs will digest quickly and leave you hungry sooner than if you ate foods higher in protein. As long as you're keeping at your calorie goals, carbs won't matter, unless as asked above...you have a medical condition. Some people will get better results doing low carb, but I'd suggest only going that route only if you do not get results from a simple calorie deficit. Just remember to eat foods high in protein to keep you from being hungry!
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Bread is not my problem so much as pasta is. I live pasta.
  • kymberly316
    Options
    According to Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis, it is like an addiction (with withdrawl symptoms). Carbs/Wheat are the cause of lots of things, dibetes, inflammation, "tummy troubles," skin issues and acne. Eliminate the wheat, feel better. And apparently, the weight will just come off. I've just started kicking the wheat/processed carbs out and I have to say I feel tons better. The scale hasn't shown the progress I would like yet.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love sweets and fresh bread. I *used to* bake bread a few times per week. Now, I only eat the Healthy Life WW low-carb bread. It's not good, but at least I can have some bread.
    FTR, I try to limit carbs because it keeps me from feeling hungry all the time.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you have some kind of metabolis disorder like insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, you really need to get a handle on those carbs. If not, you can probably eat them just fine as long as you log the calories.

I'm one that definitely has to watch carb intake and I, too, love good bread. At first, I simply didn't buy any. After not having any grain-based carbs for awhile, I started buying good, whole-grain bread again and now I can have just one slice once in awhile without going bread-crazy. I just make sure I'm not going over my daily carb limit by eating it.

Anyway, if it's a trigger food for you, I'd say just don't buy it for awhile and, hopefully, you'll get to the point where you can eat it without triggering a binge.
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    I have found that I too am a carb junkie and not just bread, which I can tear up an italian loaf! I just can't help myself, it's so delicious and comes in so many different variations. I agree that we can't kick it, we just need to control our intake. Moderation is def key. You'll get there! Maybe take out 2 pieces and then go and put it away to where if you wanted another piece you have to work to get it?
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love bread as well. The best sollution I have come to is a one or two weeks out of the month I will only allow myself to eat bread one meal of the day! It really helps with my weightloss, i've seen results everytime. so like the first week of the month I'll do that and then the last week of the month. That way I don't go crazy!
  • killagb
    Options
    According to Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis, it is like an addiction (with withdrawl symptoms). Carbs/Wheat are the cause of lots of things, dibetes, inflammation, "tummy troubles," skin issues and acne. Eliminate the wheat, feel better. And apparently, the weight will just come off. I've just started kicking the wheat/processed carbs out and I have to say I feel tons better. The scale hasn't shown the progress I would like yet.
    Unless you're a celiac, this is not necessary.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bread is not my problem so much as pasta is. I live pasta.

Try Spaghetti squash , i love pasta and this stuff is pretty damn close and way lower in carbs!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I had pasta/bread issues as well, some days that was all I would eat, until wheat started making me ill. :P An excess of anything isn't good. Try shirataki noodles, I adore them :) take a while to get used to but they're worth it.
  • larnocky
    larnocky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If it's impacting your weight loss goals, you should try converting to whole wheat pita bread, stone ground bread, or weight watchers bread! No need to cut it out completely, but the stone ground bread especially, is difficult to digest, thus, you'll be full longer. :)
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I dont care for bread. I use to love it, but once i cut it out i realized i didnt need it. I am still addicted to pasta though. Mmm pasta. Lol. I like the frest stuff. I like ravioli. I like the different textures and shapes that past offers. I like all of it. Its horrid, because i cant eat much of it. T-T
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with a medical issue. It's just that once I start eating it, I feel like I can't stop. I almost never buy it anymore. Regular old sandwhich bread doesn't have this affect on me, at all. In fact I use whole grain sandwhich thins for my sandwhiches.

But freshly baked italian or french bread, MMMMMMMMM. Or rolls, omg so gooooood!

It's more a calorie thing than anything.
  • killagb
    Options
    It has nothing to do with a medical issue. It's just that once I start eating it, I feel like I can't stop. I almost never buy it anymore. Regular old sandwhich bread doesn't have this affect on me, at all. In fact I use whole grain sandwhich thins for my sandwhiches.

But freshly baked italian or french bread, MMMMMMMMM. Or rolls, omg so gooooood!

It's more a calorie thing than anything.
    Put priority on eating lean proteins and you can fit in some carbs for taste no problem. By eating heavy protein (1 gram per pound of body weight), you will have a hard time eating too much as you'll be full from the protein that is slow to digest. The protein combined with exercise will also help guard against muscle loss as you lose weight.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating carbs, other than the fact that the simple carbs will digest quickly and leave you hungry sooner than if you ate foods higher in protein. As long as you're keeping at your calorie goals, carbs won't matter, unless as asked above...you have a medical condition. Some people will get better results doing low carb, but I'd suggest only going that route only if you do not get results from a simple calorie deficit. Just remember to eat foods high in protein to keep you from being hungry!

If she's having trouble avoiding literally sitting there and just eating bread nonstop, that's a problem with carbs, and it will probably be pretty hard to maintain a calorie deficit.

OP, have you tried high-protein versions of pasta and bread? Maybe you can trick your appetite.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    personally, I've cleared my house of all "white" foods and keep Ezekiel bread in original and cinnamon raisin in my freezer. It helps with my bread cravings plus its low on the glycemic index which helps with my sugar intake.
  • killagb
    Options

If she's having trouble avoiding literally sitting there and just eating bread nonstop, that's a problem with carbs, and it will probably be pretty hard to maintain a calorie deficit.

OP, have you tried high-protein versions of pasta and bread? Maybe you can trick your appetite.
    Right and did you notice how I recommended eating a high protein diet to prevent being overly hungry? Replacing one set of carbs for a slightly slower digesting version is going to be minimal net change.