applesauce to make cookies?

Options
SophieB74656
SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
Hey guys, I made a big crock pot full of yummy applesauce. Can I make some cookies out of it? Like can I just add some oats and maybe chocolate chips and make a cookie out some of it? what else would I need to ad?

Replies

• kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Google search?
  • SophieB74656
    Options
    I looked around on google and I only really found recipes that use applesauce to replace oil in existing recipes
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Mmmm sounds yummy!! I know that you can basically make the normal cookie recipe but then substitute the butter with applesauce, that's what I sometimes like to do :)

You can also maybe try out some of these recipes, I know she uses applesauce in a few! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    with ANY recipes that calls for oil you can sub applesauce in for the oil (i think the applesauce keeps everything softer more moist), the same goes if the recipe calls for sour cream and you wanna cut the fat use plain yogurt it tastes the same with out the extra calories
  • SophieB74656
    Options
    I'm wondering if there are recipes where the applesauce is the main in gredient
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This sounds like what you want, but there's no nutrition info available: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/applesauce-cookies-recipes-sugar-free

And this one: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=38438 But I have something against baking with splenda...it's entirely irrational, though.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I modified this recipie . . .

1/2 cup of margarine
    1/2 cup of unsweewtened apple sauce
    3/4 cup of sugar
    3/4 cup of brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups of oats
    1 1/4 cups of raisins

Cream first 5 ingredients well. Mix the next 6 ingredients together, then add to batter. Drop on greased cookie sheets & space well apart. Bake at 350 for 10-12 mins, making sure not to overcook. Makes about 30 large cookies. I added all the ingredients into MFP, and the calorie content per cookie is 114 (I don't remember the rest of the nutrition content)

I'm sure there's more ways to make this even healthier, but just by subbing applesauce and whole wheat flour, they made them a bit healthier, satisfied my craving, and made a great treat for my whole family (they didn't even notice the change in the recipie!)

I have completely omitted butter and/or oil in muffins (and they turned out awesome!), but not cookies . . .
  • SophieB74656
    Options
    thanks guys!!
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't know about making cookies but you sure could add applesauce instead of oil in any baking recipe. You could probably use a carrot cake recipe and add applesauce instead!
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    This is slightly off topic but I used plain greek yogurt in a brownie recipe instead of all of the oil and it was FANTASTIC. So creamy and yummy. I think yogurt > applesauce as a replacement for oil in brownies. In your case I'd follow a cookie recipe and just replace the butter with applesauce and see what you think- you won't be able to trick anyone into thinking it has butter, but it will be a sweet treat with less fat! It could take some experimenting to get a cookie you like and that you're happy with the nutrition. If you get a good recipe plz share!