Newbie Introduction!

Options
Hello all!
I was recently shown this awesome site by one of my friends, and I have to say, I'm actually excited about losing weight! Genetically speaking, odds are not in my favor to be the Miss Fit-And-Toned that I'd like to be, but I really think that this tool will be incredibly advantageous in keeping me on track.

I'm an undergraduate student majoring in Psychology, and will soon be starting graduate school with aspirations to become a counselor. I am engaged to my middle school sweetheart, who has always been a huge support. One of my goals here is to lose the needed weight so I can be healthy for my wedding day. I'd also love to be able to gain the skills that I lack to become fit not only for myself, but also for my future children. Obesity runs in my family, and I'd like to help break that chain.

I'd love to have some fitness pals to keep me accountable, so feel free to add me! I look forward to embarking on this journey to healthy living with all of you!

Jessica

Replies

• chipaddict
    Options
    Hey! That sounds like an awesome goal to be working towards-I'm engaged too, and the thought of that white dress is definitely a motivator :D Obesity (and diabetes) run in my family too and it would be great to break the cycle. Good luck!
  • artgeek09
    Options
    Hey! That sounds like an awesome goal to be working towards-I'm engaged too, and the thought of that white dress is definitely a motivator :D Obesity (and diabetes) run in my family too and it would be great to break the cycle. Good luck!

That's awesome that we have so much in common! Diabetes runs in my family too, both gestational and type 2. Good luck to you too!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you want to be a "Miss Fit-And-Toned" do it! Just because obesity runs in the family, doesn't mean you need to be too. Sounds like you have great aspirations! I am in graduate school, for chemistry, and it is rough! Make yourself your highest priority, and keep that in mind! I want to be a professor someday, but it will be hard for me to do that if I don't take care of me first!

Good luck to you with this! You can do it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get started on a wonderful journey.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If there's anything I've learned on here it's don't limit yourself before you start. You can be Miss Fit and Skinny. You just have to work at it and want it.
    I constantly change my goal in order to better align with where I see myself and I have another bunch of weight still to go. Have fun, eat well and workout reasonably.
    We're here for you!
  • NigealComaneci
    NigealComaneci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone =D Looking forward to living a healthy life =]

I'm Ray nice to meet you all! I'm 22 and I live in New Zealand, been going to personal training twice a week as well as kickboxing lessons twice a week, and have recently started a diet which I am still getting the hang of.
  • AntoniaK89
    Options
    Yay another kiwi hehehe Good Luck =D
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Hi newbies!!

Welcome to the best site in the world :P You will find all the advice and support you need here if you take the time to look around - we have some awesome people here who are actually very knowledgable. Of course it goes without saying that there is some misinformation and crap on the forums too, but in general you will find MFP an awesome resource.

I'd suggest heading over to the success stories thread to get a good dose of inspiration!

Cheers,

Ray
  • jheath123
    Options
    Welcome, and congratulations on making a goal of breaking the chain. Everyone here is awesome, and just excited about each others goals as we are our own. It is important to eat the right foods and there are plenty of people here to answer any question you have.