Help and Assistance Required!

Options
So, I have been really good for the past month, and the scales are not budging. On atypical day this is what I eat and exercise.

Breakfast
Porridge made with water and milk
Apple

Lunch
Porridge as before
Satsumas

Dinner
Vegetables, potatoes and chicken.

Snacks
Yoghurt

Exercise
7am
4 miles on treadmill
150 sit ups

8.30 am
walk 2 miles to work

5pm
walk 2 miles back home

6pm
2,5 miles on treadmill
150 sit ups
20 minutes on Wii fit or fitness coach.

Please can I have some advice? What am I doing wrong??

Replies

• lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    So, I have been really good for the past month, and the scales are not budging. On atypical day this is what I eat and exercise.

Breakfast
    Porridge made with water and milk
    Apple

Lunch
    Porridge as before
    Satsumas

Dinner
    Vegetables, potatoes and chicken.

Snacks
    Yoghurt

Exercise
    7am
    4 miles on treadmill
    150 sit ups

8.30 am
    walk 2 miles to work

5pm
    walk 2 miles back home

6pm
    2,5 miles on treadmill
    150 sit ups
    20 minutes on Wii fit or fitness coach.

Please can I have some advice? What am I doing wrong??

I don't know what your calorie intake is, but it looks a little low.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    You are not eating enough nor is it balanced at all. It looks like you exercise a lot and eat too little.

More protein, fruits and vegetables!!!
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I did want to say way to go on your dedication to exercising.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    you may be overworking your body and not eating enough...I agree!
    Try some intervals with your workouts...so much walking is not necessary. intervals and weights...much more effecient, less time, and the muscle you will build will speed up your metabolism.
    and eat eat eat! take a few days and eat lots of calories. sounds like your body is revolting a bit....

cindy
  • cocobounty
    cocobounty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh..... Always have exercised lots!!! Always eaten too little it seems too!! Before this I used to eat the odd chocolate bar, but I have been so good! Will try and eat a little more I think! Maybe more fruit....Do you think my body is in the starvation mode thing??
  • mdb120776
    mdb120776 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    By not eating enough calories, your body is going into starvation mode. In this stage, your body will do all it can to keep it alive by slowing down your metabolism and trying to burn less calories and keep the fat. You need at least 1000 calories a day to keep yourself out of starvation mode.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Really without going to a doctor we can't tell you for sure about "starvation mode". You really should try to gradually increase your calories consumed. Try adding 200 or so a day for a week and see what that does, then add again if needed.

If you don't mind, what is your typical daily NET caloric intake?
  • smb3434
    smb3434 Posts: 2
    Options
    Add some strength training into your exercise. Maybe 3-6 exercises, 3 sets and 12 reps of each. Also, make sure you are drinking water all day too. Nothing better to snack on that has no calories, no fat, nada!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well I'm going to mention a few things here. These are just opinions, but they are based on some pretty solid research and a little anecdotal science (not the best kind I know, but still, that's why they are just opinion and I'm not saying them as fact).

1st, you're walking 10 miles a day, if you are doing this every day, it's probably not helping you as much as you think. For you to burn extra calories, you need to exert your body, to really affect good changes you should be fitting in some real calorie burners. Considering where you are (16 lbs left to your goal and 25 years old), my take is that you should be doing some Higher intensity stuff, whether that be spinning, or high impact aerobics, or circuit training or some HIIT training is more a matter of choice, but that's my take. And also, what's with all the situps? 300 a day is a lot of any exercise, my recomendation is to cut that part out, pick out one or two days a week and do a 5 - 8 minute total core workout (I.E. planks, side planks, obliques twists, dead lifts maybe, bicycle crunches, sports ball supermans, hip raises...etc) that should be all you need to keep your core strong. I would also look into a bit of weight training once or twice a week, to help develop and define your muscles.

2nd, the other people on here are probably right, your calorie totals seem pretty low, I would (again my opinion) take another look at your goals, and set them at about 1/2 a lb per week.

best luck to you.

-Banks
  • cocobounty
    cocobounty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much. Usually at the end of the day i have exercised off everything I have eaten or usually betwwen -300 and +300 calories. I do weights occasionally, but will up this and will try and eat a little more today.

Thanks for all of your help.
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    Do you mean if you eat say, 1500 calories, you burn off between 1200 and 1800? If that's the case there's your problem.

I don't know your stats and all, but lets just say you are the minimum (on here) of 1200 calories a day. If you burn 1500 calories by exercise, you need to eat those 1500 calories PLUS the 1200 you need to keep your body functioning properly. This most certainly will help you see the results you're looking for.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Do you mean if you eat say, 1500 calories, you burn off between 1200 and 1800? If that's the case there's your problem.

I don't know your stats and all, but lets just say you are the minimum (on here) of 1200 calories a day. If you burn 1500 calories by exercise, you need to eat those 1500 calories PLUS the 1200 you need to keep your body functioning properly. This most certainly will help you see the results you're looking for.

I agree, if this is, in fact, what you are doing, that's bad stuff. If you are exercising and working your calories down below say 1200 NET, you're really putting your body in jeopardy of malnutrition, and that is serious. Besides slowing your metabolism significantly, you risk shutting down organs, not getting enough vitamins and minerals, and causing serious difficiencies in things like bone mass, amino acid creation, hormone production, brain function, immune system...etc lots of systems don't work as well or just plain shut down if you eat too few calories.