In need of answers and advice.

Options
I'm trying really hard to lose weight, I eat within my calorie limit and for over 2 weeks have been drinking only water. I have only had about 800 calories worth of chocolate in this last 2 weeks and have been eating much healthier by adding lots more fruits and vegies to my diet.
What I don't understand though, does it really matter what I eat?

If I stay within my calorie, protein, carbs and fats then does it really matter What is in my diet?
Is bread really all that bad for my diet?
How about tortillas, are they better then eating bread?
Are tortillas bad for my diet?
And what types of soups are good for my diet?

Replies

• smschaupp
    Options
    Also what if I go over my protien?
    Cause i did that today.
  • smschaupp
    Options
    anyone please?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    In the long run you want to learn how to eat well for your health and well being. Working your goodies into your calorie allowance is fine, being over in protein is fine, you can change those ratios in your settings.

The goal is the long run. The goal is keeping at it. The goal is not lying to yourself because that's really who you are accountable for.

Eating crap isn't the best for you. Moderation is the key. Learn how to eat healthy things and how to splurge within your means. Exercise will let you eat just about anything you want, but you'll want to eat the good stuff because it will make you feel better.

Good luck.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to lose weight, I eat within my calorie limit and for over 2 weeks have been drinking only water. I have only had about 800 calories worth of chocolate in this last 2 weeks and have been eating much healthier by adding lots more fruits and vegies to my diet.

If I stay within my calorie, protein, carbs and fats then does it really matter What is in my diet?
    Is bread really all that bad for my diet?
    How about tortillas, are they better then eating bread?
    Are tortillas bad for my diet?
    And what types of soups are good for my diet?

For losing weight - calories in vs calories out. That's what it comes down to.
    You didn't mention whether you were losing weight or not, but 2 weeks is probably not long enough to judge. If you stick to your calorie goal and don't overestimate your exercise or underestimate your food portions you will start losing weight. Good luck!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Please make your diary public for a while so that people can give you an accurate answer. Most people are actually eating too few calories when they're having trouble losing weight.
  • occupyme
    occupyme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful for you to plan your meals the night before or in the morning before you begin your day. Log what you plan to eat that day and assess your plan.

If you initially plan for too much protein or sugar or carbs, you can rearrange your eating plan before you have eaten anything that day. Then, once you get your plan right, follow it for the day.

You might even want to write it down so you remember what you decided to eat throughout the day. You wouldn't have to do that for long...just until you get a feel for eating well and counting the calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Yes and no. From a purely weight-loss perspective, it really doesn't. For body composition and overall health, it matters.

> If I stay within my calorie, protein, carbs and fats then does it really matter What is in my diet?
    Not really

> Is bread really all that bad for my diet?
    Not at all, unless you have a gluten intolerance or other health condition

> How about tortillas, are they better then eating bread?
    > Are tortillas bad for my diet?
    Same as bread (i.e., fine)

> And what types of soups are good for my diet?
    Any

> Also what if I go over my protien? Cause i did that today.
    If you're going by the MFP numbers, then you should be going over your protein, because the MFP default is rather low.

A good rule of thumb is around 1g protein per lb of body weight, .35g of fat, and the rest in carbs or whatever you want.

You can tweak the ratios here (but unfortunately, you can't set them in grams)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

If you're just starting out, and having trouble, focus on hitting your calorie target every single day. As time goes on, you can look into tweaking things.
  • smschaupp
    Options
    my diery is now veiwable by all I hope this will help me get some answers.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you're going to eat around 1k cals, i'd lean towards making it mostly protein with a bit of fats to cover EFAs, or greatly up your cals, unless you're really petite.

Bread, tortillas etc are fine in your diet, but i'd first focus on getting in adequate protein and fats, around 1g of pro per lb of lbm and .35g of fat per lb of bodyweight
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    my diery is now veiwable by all I hope this will help me get some answers.

Good move. I'll add that you're coming in low for the few days you've logged so far. Don't make a habit of this. You'll get the best results by hitting your target as closely as possible. A little over or a little under is fine. Too much over or under is where you'll run into problems - unless it's once in a blue.
  • smschaupp
    Options
    so what i'm seeing here is, i need to find something more to eat today.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    try upping your calories. i found that i needed to up it for a week or two to start losing, though it sounds counterintuitive.
  • eatcleangal
    Options
    Cut out processed food and eat only whole grains - no white bread, white rice etc.
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Also a diet plan is not good unless you are doing something. What is your plans on cardo etc.?