Getting a little discouraged

Options
Why does it feel like as long as you stay under your daily calorie allowed intake, you can eat whatever and don't have to exercise? Or you can eat whatever even if you go over as long as you burn it off?
My boyfriend recently joined and his daily calorie intake is pretty high so he just eats until its just under.

Its making me feel sort of like I'm doing things wrong and I'm a failure.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It feels like that because that's how it works.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm not really understanding what you're getting at.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Possibly OP doesnt have the proper dietary numbers?
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    It feels like that because that's how it works.

Yeah, that's it. Burn more calories than you eat and pretty much you lose. Of course, there is some benefit to not eating whatever you want but eating healthy. But even if you eat 1200 calories of sugar a day, you'll lose weight if you burn 2000 calories a day. You may die from diabetes complications but that's a different thing.......
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is true. you can eat whatever as long as its under your BMR necessity.
    If you eat under your calorie goal and eat all crap and sugar you will end up losing muscle and have no adequate amount of nutrients in your body.
    If you eat under your calorie goal and maintain an adequate amount of protein, healthy fats, and whole grains you are doing WAY better for you body.

also never compare yourself to a guy's eating. Guy's lose a lot easier than women and naturally have more muscle so they burn more than us just sitting. AKA work out! working out+strength training= faster metabolism= more food. yayy =)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    double
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Unfortunately it is true. you can eat whatever as long as its under your BMR necessity.
    If you eat under your calorie goal and eat all crap and sugar you will end up losing muscle and have no adequate amount of nutrients in your body.
    If you eat under your calorie goal and maintain an adequate amount of protein, healthy fats, and whole grains you are doing WAY better for you body.

also never compare yourself to a guy's eating. Guy's lose a lot easier than women and naturally have more muscle so they burn more than us just sitting. AKA work out! working out+strength training= faster metabolism= more food. yayy =)

Above BMR....above.
    Always above BMR.
    Above BMR.
    Above...
    BMR...
    dont eat below BMR unless you have a letter from God saying its okay!
    Morgan_Freeman.jpg
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why does it feel like as long as you stay under your daily calorie allowed intake, you can eat whatever and don't have to exercise? Or you can eat whatever even if you go over as long as you burn it off?
    My boyfriend recently joined and his daily calorie intake is pretty high so he just eats until its just under.

Its making me feel sort of like I'm doing things wrong and I'm a failure.

Don't feel like a failure - men are denser than women (no pun intended here:). But seriously, we are not built like men and do not lose weight like men. I am assuming that his weight is higher than yours, which would explain why he can eat more. Regarding BMR/RMR (basal metabolic rate/resting metabolic rate), men burn more at rest then women.

Not all calories are created equal my Dark Chocolate sea salted carmel is not equivalent to an apple, even though the calorie content is. You can eat a TON of food and still stay under your daily caloric intake - just keep it clean. Food in it's most natural state is the healthiest for you, the more you process it, the less nutritious it becomes. If you stick to 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% good fats (nuts, olive oil, avacados), you should feel satisfied and have more energy and start seeing the weight come off. Exercise is bonus points for you.

Hope this helps and there is no wrong way, unless you are eating ho ho's, twinkies and mountain dew for all your calories;)