30 DS for morbidly obese

Options
Yup, i said it. Eek, so ashamed to say - morbidly obese - BMI 48. Is it even possible for me to do Jillians 30DS?

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

I currently hit the gym 3-4 days a week, but weekends are hard with shortened gym hours and hubby's work schedule so i'd like to have something to do on the weekend beyond just heading outside to the park with my daughter. Want something to make me sweat!

Replies

• emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you are already going to the gym, I'd say give it a shot. You can always take a little break or modify some of the moves!!!
  • eatcleangal
    Options
    Talk to your doctor - but if you do, definitely modify the moves for your own fitness level. The last thing you need to do is get hurt and derail your activity completely.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not too far off that BMI myself, and I would say YES! Try the 30 Day Shred. Sometimes when she has you doing 30 seconds of jumping jacks, I just jump up and down, or run in place. Sometimes when she is doing the pushups and I am about to die, I just hold a plank. Even if you modify EVERYTHING she has you doing, it is still one killer workout.
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY....I am the same as you are in the BMI area and I am able to do it. I know everyone says "if I can do it, anybody can." In my case that is true. I have been so hesitant to even look at the DVD and then on Saturday I thought I would give it a try. So glad I did. YOU CAN DO IT....JUST GOT TO GIVE IT A TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, and if he gives you the OK for it then go ahead and do it! Use the modifications she gives you, and even if those are too much modify them some more, but as you keep doing it, you could always give it a shot at what she is doing (or what that blonde girl in the back is doing)
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    Go for it!!! Just do not let yourself get discouraged and listen to your body and you will see great results! Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you'd like...I LOVE new friends!!!
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Yes... she did this with the Big loser show it works for EVERYONE! like others said just do it at the pace you feel comfortable.. maybe it takes longer to go to the next phase. So be it you are doing it and thats all that counts :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I may not have as much to lose, but when I started 30DS I was so out of shape. In the video there are 3 repetitions of the circuit and I had to pause the video and take a break in between circuits. And I also modified almost every move.

My suggestion is to take lots of breaks and if something hurts too much (in a bad way not just muscles working really hard) then take a break and drink some water and see how you feel before starting up again.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
    I did it when I was morbidly obese ... she helped me "just" be obese now! Lol
    Just do what you can and keep at it. If you aren't ready to move on to the next level repeat the current level.
    When you first start you will feel like you maybe can't do it. Or it is too painful. But don't give up!
    Just trust in your body. It is truly an amazing thing and it will take care of you if you take care of it.
    Eventually you will know you will know your bodies limits and not have it tainted by your fears. And it's so worth it! You will just be amazed how much you can do by the end of it (or any activity you stick with)!
    GL!
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I say give it a try!! It's a hard work out, I won't deny it. But I believe that you can do it! I started with a BMI close to yours and I did the 30DS at when I first started trying to lose weight. I did NOT do it in 30 days though! haha :) I would use it as a supplement for what you're already doing. Maybe to start out you can do what I did....try doing it every other day, do the easy versions of the exercises, pause it and take breaks if you need to. Also, if you can only do the first circuit, then that's still fantastic! Jillian means business! Work up to it and listen to your body. You can do anything you set your mind to. Let your mind control your body.

I believe in you and I know you can do it if you really want to! Best of luck darling! Let us all know what you decide :)

ps- I love your weight ticker- I'm addicted to the biggest loser!!!!! :)
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh 280 and I can do it.. Its hard.. but I did it tonight.. I say try it! :)
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time today. I couldn't make it through the first two circuits but I can feel the burn a lot.
  • michaelgilstrap
    michaelgilstrap Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you go do it two things will happen, you'll either be able to complete it, or you'll get a great workout and progress every time till you can, in the meantime every attempt will still be doing great things for your body. LOL, but you knew that, great job, Go Get Em!!!
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    My BMI at last check was between 42 and 43. Tomorrow I will be on Day 3 Level 2 of 30 DS. It's hard, but if you want it, you can do it.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. She offers modified versions for all of the moves in the workout. The only thing I tend to go light on is the jumping jacks because they tend to hurt my knees and chest. Other than that, it's definitely doable.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would caution you about doing 30DS if you are carring an excessive amount of extra weight. This workout is very hard on your knees and hips. Talk to your doctor. If you do try it, take it very easy at first.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It depends. I do it and I my BMI is more than yours. I adjust a couple of things for my right knee but I am getting stronger. After a week I moved on to level 2.......