Anyone following a Paleo diet?

Options
I am easing into this diet, but finding it hard to not eat bread. I love veggies, fruit, lean protein, etc.
What have you done to help ease away from breads, pasta, rice, etc?
Sheri

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people are! They just don't have internet or computers.

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Tip your server.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it (paleo) and it works for me. I loved bread and cutting it out was hard the first week. What helped was the difference in how I felt and easier digestion -- that kept me motivated. I recommend reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis for some perspective.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend checking out any work by Alan Aragon on this topic too.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have recently started this type of eating, after trying and failing to give up bread for years (digestive issues). I've actually found it a lot easier than expected, I think because of the higher fat content of what I'm eating...when I've tried before, my diet ended up being high protein, low carb, low fat which is honestly totally unsustainable.

I do still crave bread, but it gets exponentially easier as you go on, I have found.

Please do feel free to add me if you like :)
  • SheriG9
    Options
    Thanks for most of the responses. I am not looking at this as a quick fix diet, but as a new lifestyle for me. I had Gestational diabetes with my youngest son, and there is diabetes in my family. I have been trying to follow a low-fat, whole grain, moderation diet for the last five months. Not only have I found it unsatisfying, but I have GAINED weight, even though I am breastfeeding my little one.

So, I decided to eat for health, and stop being so absorbed in counting the calories, and measuring out everything. It makes me crazy!

I have several friends that have been following the Paleo diet, and they feel great, look great, and have lost weight. So here I am. :)

My biggest obstacle is trying to feed a family of 11 without "filler" like pasta, rice, bread, etc. That is why I asked the question.
    Sheri
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Doing Primal which is super similar. I have found that spaghetti squash, mashed cauliflower and making "bread" with almond meal satisfies my carb cravings. You can friend me and look at my diary it's open. Good luck!
  • YummyMommy33
    Options
    Hi there, I have been reading up on the paleo diet...more for my mother in law who has ms...but there are some awesome websites with recipes including baked goods...pinterest has many sites dedicated to the paleo as well...
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    The Paleo diet seems to me like south beach minus cheese and legumes/ beans. I have to admit the closer I follow it the better I feel. Way less bloating and water retention. When I now look at cheese like bread and pasta meaning eat more sparingly I do better. The cheese and Legumes I think are worse than the bread and pasta. When you add a little back in if the bread and pasta are what you are missing just be sure to stay away from the cheese and beans/ legumes. It does seem to drop off big time on the diet. Good luck!!
  • rutabagasrgood
    Options
    Cauliflower rice, coconut biscuits from wellnessmama.com, ideas from northwestcavegirls.com, and anything from elanaspantry.com. Helps me a lot! I do paleo because I don't process carbohydrates well. They make me crave and put on extra lbs. I'm at my good weight and paleo keeps me here. Part of paleo is MOVE like a cavegirl and SLEEP well!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    Plenty of people are! They just don't have internet or computers.

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Tip your server.

nicely played sir, nicely played.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat Paleo 80% of the time. I still serve my family bread, pasta & rice but I try to buy the types that I like the least. For example I adore angel hair so I buy penne pasta. I love crusty french bread so I buy them soft sandwich bread... Rice is fairly neutral and I am ok with a little rice or rice pasta if I've had a good workout.

I'll try to make spaghetti squash or mushrooms as an alternative to starch. Once you get past the initial few days it does get easier. I find now that when I do cheat and have some wheat I have tummy problems and bloat up for a few days - and crave it more.

I still eat dairy, just less. I follow more of a Primal Blueprint philosophy than true Paleo.

The true path to success is with lifestyle changes, I've had so many friends drop weight with this diet or that diet and gain later because the changes are not sustainable, lifestyle changes.

I had a 3 egg omelette cooked in coconut oil with spinach for breakfast and I was completely full until 2pm today! AFTER a really hard strength workout.

I too had gestational diabetes and lost grandparents to the disease. I feel that diet & lifestyle are 99% responsible for Type 2 diabetes. I worry about my son & over-fat husband. I try to set a good example without forcing things on them. I still serve starches to my family but I also cater to their veggie likes. My son likes broccoli so we have it several times per week. My husband likes raw spinach, so we have that a few times per week.

Check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1lkvWKxGI

I second Wheat Belly - eye opening book!

There is also a Paleo group on MFP.

Best of luck!
  • SheriG9
    Options
    Thanks again. I signed up for Marksapple on Saturday, so I am getting the newsletter. I will check out some of the other things too.
    Sheri