Unsweetened or Sweetened Almond Milk

Options
I'm currently drinking Sweetened Plain Almond Milk. How different in taste is the plain unsweetened? Is it that big of a difference? Thanks :)

Also, while I use it in a smoothie 2-3 times a week, I normally drink this straight up. I don't eat cereal and I maybe have oatmeal once a week.

Also, I drink the original not the vanilla.

Replies

• nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like to mix the two vanilla flavors. The unsweetened is bland and the sweetened is a tad bit sweet and double the calories.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The difference is pretty noticeable. The unsweetened almond milk is definitely an acquired taste, though it definitely cuts down on the calories by a lot. I never notice any difference in taste if I use it in a recipe or with cereal though. If you do drink it straight up, add a packet of splenda to make it sweeter without any added calories.
  • MightyMom4
    Options
    I love the unsweetened vanilla and so do my kids. I haven't ever tried the sweetened though. I say give it a try.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Never used the sweeten but I don't drink it plain. I use it in oatmeal, coffee and occasional cereal.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I don't drink it, so I don't use the sweetened kind. I just use the original unsweetened in cereal the odd time i have it and in protein shakes.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the sweetened. I use it mainly to cook with, use it in my cereal and in my coffee. Of course, if I want to make icecream (frozen banana & almond milk), I use the unsweetened as well!

I say, try it, it won't kill you.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened.
  • hkussatz
    Options
    I use the unsweetened. Never tried the sweetened. I don't actually drink it plain, but instead I use it in smoothies and in cereal. Because I mix other ingredients with it you can't actually taste how bland it is. I'm saving numerous calories by using that one! Give it a try and see what you think :)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ah I haven't tried the Sweetened kind, but I find the Unsweetened plain (not vanilla) almond milk to be the closest in taste to 1% or skim dairy milk. I can definitely drink it in a glass. I have done soy milk too, but almond is even better, and so few calories.
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I use unsweetened Almond and Coconut milks, and I like both of those - but I also tend to use them with other things, and not on their own!
  • stephconner
    Options
    I hate regular milk, but I love the unsweetened almond milk. The sweetened kind makes cereal too sweet or overpowers what I'm eating. The unsweetened is plain and lets the food flavors through.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sweetened almond milk. However, I like the unsweetened. Taste sweet enough to me. You could always sweeten it slightly with a natural sweetener. At least you could cut down on the sugar added to the sweetened almond milk. :)