Fruit, a hinderance or a help?

Please look at my diary for today. I went way over sugar, but mainly with fructose from fruit. Any suggestions regarding bettering my meals would be helpful :) Thanks!

Replies

• While fruit is a whole food and should be eaten daily, I make sacrifices for it. For example: 1 serving of fruit and yogurt as my other high sugar source or 2 servings of fruit. So basically, I only eat foods that are high in sugar(10+) 2 times a day. Today for example, I had 2 servings of fruit today so that means no yogurt(or in your case it would be the granola bar). That helps keep my sugar in line. Now, on days where I have a crazy sweet tooth, I'll grab an extra serving of fruit rather than a cookie. HTH :D
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I have the same problem. Just try to stay away from the bars and get your real serving of fruit. My problem is i eat to much fruit and not enough protein.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Don't think of a fruit as just sugar - it's so much more!! If you are getting your fruit servings from whole fruit they are often a great source of fiber and nutrients.

Fruit juices, on the other hand, I tend to avoid if I can replace with whole fruit!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Please look at my diary for today. I went way over sugar, but mainly with fructose from fruit.
    If it's fruit and you aren't eating a truck load, don't worry about it :smile:
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Don't think of a fruit as just sugar - it's so much more!! If you are getting your fruit servings from whole fruit they are often a great source of fiber and nutrients.

Fruit juices, on the other hand, I tend to avoid if I can replace with whole fruit!

Exxxxactly.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    What I did was make a category for just fruit..that way I know how many grams of sugar is fruit and how many are from other sources..makes it easy to really take a look...I eat tons of fruit and veggies :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    MFP tells us that any calorie consumption below 1200 puts our body in starvation mode. It was difficult for me until I started eating 1200 cals per day. I consume a ton of veggies every day and way more protein. It has worked for me.
  • Mandro316
    Mandro316 Posts: 2 Member
    I usually try to have 2 servings of fruit in the morning and one in the afternoon. I think as long as it is raw fruit you should be fine. I've been going over my sugar intake everyday since I began my lifestyle change and it hasn't prevented me from losing 2 pounds every week.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    My theory is that all fruit and vegetables are good for me, so I eat in abundance.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    My theory is that all fruit and vegetables are good for me, so I eat in abundance.

Like and Agree
  • Thanks everyone :)