why almond milk

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
Allot of you seem to be drinking it. Why almond? What do you use it as? Thinking about trying it out because tge name sounds good lol

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    im lactose intolerant and use dot drink soy. It doesn't seem to agree with me but i will drink it over dairy.

When i can i ll drink almond milk over soy ask have read some things about soy which say there are a lot of negative ingredients/hormones etc (although i can't guarantee this is true) - the taste is also FABULUS!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tastes better than soy, has less calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol than dairy milk. Has less calories too, and is closest in taste (to me) to dairy milk, which I do like the taste of. I am also lactose intolerant, so almond milk is a good alternative. Almond milk does have less protein, but I can get it elsewhere.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I started using it because I don't like cow's milk. Now the whole family uses it because my son has issues with diary. I love the taste and I use it in cooking and baking too. For sweet things I use the vanilla flavored almond milk and for everything else I use unsweetened almond milk. The only thing I have a problem with is instant pudding. It doesn't set up.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I started using it when I saw the difference in calories and nutrients.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of it.
  • Ania13
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I just plain never really liked cows milk as an adult. It has more calcium and fewer calories than traditional dairy, also contains some vitamins (like C). Also, no worries about growth hormones that are fed to some dairy cows. My kids have started to drink and enjoy it, too. It doesn't hurt that almond milk is available in chocolate flavor! I am sure I have forgotten some of the other benefits, but here are a few to start!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Half the calories than milk! Plus it's creamier. Also, as humans, we are the only animal who drinks other animal's milk. Baby cows should be the only animal to drink cows milk. I'm all for cheese, though, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.
  • ianmgull
    Options
    Very low carbs and calories. I have two cups every morning with 2 scoops of whey protein. Add a banana to the blender on work out days. Makes an excellent and filling breakfast.

Amazing in coffee also.
  • musclefat2k
    musclefat2k Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's lactose free, and the unsweetened only has 35 calories per 8 oz serving as opposed to 120 in regular milk. It also only has 1 carb per serving and zero sugar. WOOT WOOT WINWIN!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk! I actually hate normal milk and was pleasantly surprised to find that I like the almond kind. I think it's because it's creamier and slightly sweeter. As an added bonus, it's so low-calorie! :)

Also, I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan but I do try to avoid eating animal products unnecessarily. So almond milk is a great alternative for me.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    because dairy is an unnecessary evil!!!! You don't even properly absorb the calcium from cow milk's or any dairy substance.

Think about even a calf once it matures, doesn't rely on cows milk for nutrition!!

sorry for the mini rant but I'm doing this Engine 2 Diet challenge and our class today went over the evil of dairy and why your body doesn't need it at all. So i'm riding an dairy is very bad for you high.

As for Almond milk (like the taste better than soy and other dairy-free milks)

My go to brand: Silk Almond!! it's delicious, try it and you and your body won't ever miss cow's milk
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Soy milk isn't tasty to me. Regular milk makes me implode. :indifferent:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Low in calories and tastes good in cereal smoothies and unsweetened in baked goods etc
  • k43la
    k43la Posts: 18
    Options
    I just made the switch from dairy to almond milk, and I won't be going back!!
  • ViSabbi
    ViSabbi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's low on calories, doesn't play on oestrogene (soy does) and it's lactose free. Soy is pretty bad in large quantities for man like woman becaose it has isoflavines which influences oestrogene levels (boost it up). If I remeber correctly it's not recommended for women who had or have breast cancer.
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it is so good! I drink it because I'm part vegan (I eat eggs) so no dairy for me
  • Barbwhitmore
    Options
    I LOVE MFP! I learn something every day!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    Soy milk is awful :grumble: Almond milk is better and lower calories :happy: . I found that I like the vanilla flavor a little better than plain. Only 40 calories per cup instead of the fat free "water" cow milk that is still 80 or 90 calories per cup.

My hubby hates it !

Guess it's just a preference and you have to try it to find out if you like it or not.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I tasted that for the first time a few weeks ago, bought a half gallon of it, it was horrible, the consistency, the taste, yuck, I'll stick with my 1%milk, I really hated it......
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    im lactose intolerant and had no intention of switching to almond milk. i tried soy, but it upset my stomach as well. When I realized it had only 40 calories a cup i gave it a try a few weeks ago. I love it in my cereal, and did i mention its only 40 calories a cup! try it with an open mind, it definitely tastes different than regular milk, but its really good.