why almond milk

Options

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My body can't handle the lactose and casein in milk. I like both almond and soy milk but recently dropped the soy because I suspect it's messing with my hormones. Almond milk has a nutritional profile that works well for me and I actually prefer the taste over cow.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I prefer it in cereal. :smile:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Way lower in calories than cow's or soy. And can't tell a dif when I pour it over cereal. Win!
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I try to use non animal products when I can. Plus it is very low in calories, and too much soy is just never good for you!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Because it's delicious!

To be honest, when you compare it to skim milk (which I also drink), it doesn't have a whole lot of benefits (unless you're lactose intolerant, of course). But it's still quite good for you, and to me, at least, it tastes like a sort of liquid dessert. I heartily recommend it.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so do you think i would find it too creamy? i like 1% or skim milk as anything more then that is too thick and creamy for me.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almonds, but they make me break out in canker sores. I use a lot of coconut milk, especially in green monsters and protein shakes. I just love the taste of coconut, especially with chocolate stuff, so...
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When Silk came out with its Almond and Coconut milk, I had the same question. However, I decided to stick with soy because it provides 6 grams of protein vs 1 gram with almond or coconut. Protein is critically for my diet since I do not consume animal protein,

I suggest you try a different one and even try rice milk. You will find which one you like the best as far as taste and nutrients.

Good luck!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    it is so good! I drink it because I'm part vegan (I eat eggs) so no dairy for me

I don't think you can be "part vegan". I believe you are an ovo vegetarian.
  • JCBeautyQueen
    Options
    I use it in everything id use dairy milk in from baking to cereal. I loooove it.. I tend to steer clear of animal products and this is delicious way to get a great source of calcium and your "milk" fix.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    almonds (and thus almond mild) also helps you lose weight... wish I could handle eating them
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    almonds (and thus almond mild) also helps you lose weight... wish I could handle eating them

Misinformation 101.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It is tasty, it has good mouthfeel, it is shelf stable and lasts for weeks in the fridge and it is really low in calories. (I never ever finish a carton of milk. I need to make a concerted effort to drink it).

40 calories a cup for unsweetened makes it perfect for smoothies. Soy tastes funny and is 100-150 calories.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk or soy and it's very low in calories.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, forgot to mention how long it lasts before expiring! HUGE benefit for me as I live with two other college students and we each buy our own food, so when I was buying regular milk it would ALWAYS expire before I could drink it all! Such a waste, and as broke as I am I can't afford to waste :laugh:
  • jadedone
    Options
    I tasted that for the first time a few weeks ago, bought a half gallon of it, it was horrible, the consistency, the taste, yuck, I'll stick with my 1%milk, I really hated it......

Not all brands are created equal. The PAcific brand is awful. Whole Foods and Almond Breeze are good. Haven't tried any others yet. Without a doubt almond milk is the best in cereal.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's good. I don't know if it has as many grams of protein per serving of soy milk, but it is lower in calories.

I like pretty much every cow milk substitute I've found, rice milk (tastes most like cow milk), soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk... I want to try hemp milk next.

I say try everything. You only live once and you might discover something that is really useful in your weightloss journey.

:happy:
  • jadedone
    Options
    Ah yes, forgot to mention how long it lasts before expiring! HUGE benefit for me as I live with two other college students and we each buy our own food, so when I was buying regular milk it would ALWAYS expire before I could drink it all! Such a waste, and as broke as I am I can't afford to waste :laugh:

Me too! That was one of the reasons I tried soy in the first place.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own raw almond milk from sprouted almonds...

oh, it is SO GOOD!! much better than soy! :drinker:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It's good. Although it can be challenging to milk an almond, they are wily things. And soy beans, milking them is VERY hard.