I need Self Discipline

Options
I have told myself that I need to lose weight for a long time. Im unhealthy. When I look in the mirror I always think I should start. I start out the day fine, but when it comes to lunch and afternoon snacks, I cant help myself. Im getting ready for bikini season. Help?

Replies

• cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Live your life by following one important rule when it comes to eating:

"Don't let a moment of weakness turn into a moment of regret"

If you can acknowledge that you are in a moment of weakness, you become stronger for it. By acknowledging what you are trying to resist, you become hardened enough to resist it. It is strength in itself.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The key here is the word "self". You have to do this. People can support you, but it has to come from you first. At some point, being fit and healthy has to be more important to you than not being fit and healthy.

Are you at that point yet?
  • Hesslau
    Options
    Keep some inspirations in mind and make sure you track everything you eat so the next time you want to eat something you think "am i going to want to record this?"
    remember to drink water and exercise...even a walk is better than nothing
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are right now. I was there when I was 17 and It's taken me a long time to figure out the self discipline. I still struggle with it but I've learned a lot in my 20 odd years of trying. Feel free to friend me for some motivation, encouragement and ideas. I have many strategies for helping with self discipline but one thing I've learned is that you always have a CHOICE. Try to make choices that make you proud of yourself. This is a list of distractions I've come up with that help (when I remember them =))
    My Healthy Lifestyle List:

1. No eating after 7 (although I've come to second guess that one)
    2. quit when full
    3. drink tea
    4. chew gum
    5. excersize on commercials
    6. do yoga
    7. brush teeth after eating
    8. get more sleep
    9. eat veggies
    10. chew slowly
    11. no reading or tv while eating
    12. drink water
    13. fidget
    14. dance around
    15. phone someone
    16. pray
    17 visualization
    18. sit tall
    19. take a walk
    20. dont finish kids meals.
  • Hesslau
    Options
    I've been where you are right now. I was there when I was 17 and It's taken me a long time to figure out the self discipline. I still struggle with it but I've learned a lot in my 20 odd years of trying. Feel free to friend me for some motivation, encouragement and ideas. I have many strategies for helping with self discipline but one thing I've learned is that you always have a CHOICE. Try to make choices that make you proud of yourself. This is a list of distractions I've come up with that help (when I remember them =))

2. quit when full
    3. drink tea
    4. chew gum
    6. do yoga
    8. get more sleep
    9. eat veggies
    10. chew slowly
    12. drink water
    13. fidget
    14. dance around
    15. phone someone
    16. pray
    17 visualization
    18. sit tall
    19. take a walk

Thanks for this list! I realized i have been doing more of these bad activities than i thought! I will definitely keep this in mind!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    First get all the junk out of your house. Give it away, throw it away. If it's not around, you can't eat it. This includes things like sweets, chips, high fat salad dressings, bacon, donuts, tortilla chips, cheetos, ding dongs, pecan sandies, poptarts...

You can bring that stuff back into your diet later, but give yourself time to get used to portion control and reading labels. You'll find that if you stop snacking on unhealthy food, you won't want to later.

You'll have lost weight by tracking calories and you'll find out just how small and how calorically expensive something like one serving of fritos is. OMG. Never again. I'll save my calories for a big bowl of strawberries with some fat-free whipped cream. Shooooo.

It is possible to have an entire meal of 300 calories be filling. Bet you can start higher than that and still lose weight tho. Depends on what the site calculates for you and how many meals you want to eat a day.

Start searching online for foods/meals you like to eat, recipes, prepared things you can buy, vegetables and such, lean protein, whole grains, fruit that's in season. Make a rough menu, do a little meal planning. Then go shopping.

Another good trick is to make big meals and portion them out and freeze them, so that later you can just thaw and eat something already there when you're starving, rather than grab for something unhealthy or high calorie.

And yes, get up and move. Drink water. Don't wait to eat until you're starving.

Be patient with yourself. Just the fact that you're here and you're thinking about doing this is a BIG STEP.

And I'll give you my secret weapon for weightloss. Helped me lose 39 lbs since I got here (the other 40 I lost before). Look in the mirror every day and say to yourself, "I'm not fat." You can say, "I'm making good choices. I'm healthy. I'm beautiful."

Once you can believe it, it'll start to be true, and every day you'll make choices based on your new identity. Trust me. Start from the top and work your way down.

If you keep saying you have no self discipline, then it will stay true. Erase that from your mind. You're completely capable of success.

Good luck, and friend me if you want. :happy:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    16. pray

:laugh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

As you should, it's bullcrap.
  • ashleylynnexo
    ashleylynnexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options

2. quit when full
    3. drink tea
    4. chew gum
    6. do yoga
    8. get more sleep
    9. eat veggies
    10. chew slowly
    12. drink water
    13. fidget
    14. dance around
    15. phone someone
    16. pray
    17 visualization
    18. sit tall
    19. take a walk

Nice list! I've done the teeth brushing, and am definitely working on sittting up straight. Even standing up straight in the mirror makes an actual considerable size difference in myself I've noticed.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options

2. quit when full
    3. drink tea
    4. chew gum
    6. do yoga
    8. get more sleep
    9. eat veggies
    10. chew slowly
    12. drink water
    13. fidget
    14. dance around
    15. phone someone
    16. pray
    17 visualization
    18. sit tall
    19. take a walk

OOOH! LOVE THIS. I might have to print this. Stick it on my fridge. Next to the bikini. :wink:
  • ashleylynnexo
    ashleylynnexo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    16. pray

I actually do pray for the strength from god to help discipline. I guess I can sorta see your humor in it.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    16. pray

I actually do pray for the strength from god to help discipline. I guess I can sorta see your humor in it.

I'm glad you see the humor in it.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    13. fidget
    :huh:

That list smells of pro-ana propaganda.