Low Sugar Milk Alternative?

Options
I am lactose intolerant and am currently using Zymil Lactose Free Low Fat Milk, however it has a high sugar content. I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative that is low in sugar? or as none at all? and isn't too horrible. haha
Thanks so much :)

Replies

• Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk works for me
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options

Same here
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yep- unsweetened almond milk is fabulous. Soy or coconut milk is a nice treat too sometimes (especially for baking) but almond is my main go-to for any kind of milk product.
  • Aleshakai
    Options
    Almond milk....but if you've never had it before it may take some getting used to. It doesn't really taste like milk....but after drinking it for so long the taste of cow's milk is completely unbearable. I could never go back.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened soy or almond milk
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Also a big fan of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I find that unsweetened coconut milk is better for cooking though since it has fat in it.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I personally use unsweeted almond milk... Buuut my dad hates the taste of it in his coffee, so he uses International delight sugar free coffee whitener.. cant say its the healthiest option, but I know a lot of people dont like the taste of almond or soy milk
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options

Same here
    Same here
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened coconut milk
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I recently made the switch to unsweetened plain almond milk in the last couple of weeks. I bought unsweetened vanilla almond milk by accident, but i think that tastes more like regular milk than the plain. An easy way to switch over would be to start with having it in combination with another food, like a bowl of cereal. Hope this helps.
  • ChefCupcake
    Options
    I'm a fan of unsweetened almond milk. It has twice the calcium as dairy and zero sugar! :)
  • Grod6690
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to try the unsweetened almond milk :) Hopefully we can get it in aus. :)
  • 4dplane
    4dplane Posts: 4
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk - fantastic!!!

Thanks for asking the question and all who posted, this is a great alternative to milk. I just had a bowl of cereal with unsweetened almond milk and felt it tasted better than milk that I've been drinking for over 30 years!!

4D
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk at all and just stick with water :)
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond Milk for sure!! I even use it to bake with.... cuts cals everywhere!!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened coconut milk

THIS ^^
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We also use the almond milk, we've tried just about every variety and found that the unsweetened vanilla tastes the best without adding an ungodly amount of sugar.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of all of the unsweetened almond/coconut/soy/rice milks. I find the vanilla very sweet and don't care for it all that much. I have not seen the unsweetened vanilla though in my stores.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to try the unsweetened almond milk :) Hopefully we can get it in aus. :)

If you can get almonds, you can get almond milk (and I don't mean in the carton). Just make your own, it'll be worlds better for you, anyway (no additives!).

1 cup almonds (preferably raw)
    2-4 cups water, plus water for soaking
    blender
    cheese cloth, nut bag, or very fine strainer (nut cloth works best, but cheese cloth + fine strainer works well, too)
    1 or more containers to hold nuts and milk

Put almonds in a big container, add enough water to cover them. Put in the fridge and let soak for at least 4 hours (if you go longer than overnight, I recommend changing the water).
    Rinse almonds, drain, and put in blender
    Add 2-4 cups of water (depending on how thick you want the almond milk, I recommend starting with 2 cups and seeing how you like it and add more if necessary)
    Blend until the almonds are good and ground up. You'll end up with a thick slurry.
    Slowly pour the mixure into the straining equipment (you may have to do batches).
    Press or squeeze to get as much of the liquid out as you can.
    Voila! Almond milk! Store in the fridge for up to about 4 days. As an added bonus, you also have almond meal as a by-product, which you can use for a bunch of different things.

This also works for any kind of nut milk, so you can do the same thing with cashews, coconuts (add the coconut water to the mix), and any other tree nut you can get your hands on.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk