Mediterranean Arugula Chicken Rollup

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
I made this last night and just had the last piece. I think this recipe is a keeper. Very simple too.

Ingredients
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Feta cheese (I prefer sheep's milk)
Kalamata Olives
Arugula (Spinach would work nicely too)
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Salt, Pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F

Remove and discard the olive pits and chop up the olives (or just use pitted olives :smile:). Crumble up the feta and mix it up with the olives, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and arugula.

Lay the breasts out flat, cover with plastic wrap and pound flat. If the breasts are very large, you may cut them into 2 pieces. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Go easy on the salt since feta already carries a fair amount.

Spoon some mixture into the center of each flattened breast and roll up. Use toothpicks to hold it closed.

Heat oil in a skillet (preferably an all-metal oven-proof one). Place the chicken rolls in the skillet and brown for a few minutes on each side, carefully rolling them so that all sides get a chance to brown. Place the whole skillet into the oven (or transfer to something oven safe).

Bake for about 25 minutes or until chicken reaches about 155-160F.

Goes nicely with rice, pita, or flatbread.

Your measurements may vary depending on how much chicken you're starting out with. For reference, I used 571g chicken, 98g feta, 9 olives (about 45g), 35g arugula, 3 tablespoons olive oil. Assuming 1 tbsp olive oil left behind in the pan, the nutrition facts came out to:

Servings 3
Calories 374
Protein 45
Carb 3
Fat 20

Here's a picture of the last piece (the runt) with some broccoli and brown rice 2012-02-07_21-43-28_530.jpg

Replies

• risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Taso! This fits right in with my eating plan right now...totally going to make this.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You know, I was going to add some lemon juice too and totally forgot. Squeezing on some lemon juice right before putting in the oven should do nicely.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I made this last night and just had the last piece. I think this recipe is a keeper. Very simple too.

Ingredients
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Feta cheese (I prefer sheep's milk)
    Kalamata Olives
    Arugula (Spinach would work nicely too)
    Garlic Powder
    Oregano
    Salt, Pepper
    Extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F

Remove and discard the olive pits and chop up the olives (or just use pitted olives :smile:). Crumble up the feta and mix it up with the olives, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and arugula.

Lay the breasts out flat, cover with plastic wrap and pound flat. If the breasts are very large, you may cut them into 2 pieces. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Go easy on the salt since feta already carries a fair amount.

Spoon some mixture into the center of each flattened breast and roll up. Use toothpicks to hold it closed.

Heat oil in a skillet (preferably an all-metal oven-proof one). Place the chicken rolls in the skillet and brown for a few minutes on each side, carefully rolling them so that all sides get a chance to brown. Place the whole skillet into the oven (or transfer to something oven safe).

Bake for about 25 minutes or until chicken reaches about 155-160F.

Goes nicely with rice, pita, or flatbread.

Your measurements may vary depending on how much chicken you're starting out with. For reference, I used 571g chicken, 98g feta, 9 olives (about 45g), 35g arugula, 3 tablespoons olive oil. Assuming 1 tbsp olive oil left behind in the pan, the nutrition facts came out to:

Servings 3
    Calories 374
    Protein 45
    Carb 3
    Fat 20

Here's a picture of the last piece (the runt) with some broccoli and brown rice 2012-02-07_21-43-28_530.jpg

Sounds Yummy!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Thank you! The arugula, feta and olives sound perfect.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump. Saving for later.