Can I do half-marathon it this year?

Options
Can I do half-marathon this year?

I started from no running at all in May 2011.

My first 5K was in September 2011, time 32:22 minutes. Second 5K was in November 2011 with time 29:33.

Two weeks ago I started adding longer runs to my weekly three 2 miles runs. I converted the third one into the longer runs. The results are as follows:

Two weeks ago I could run one hour without stopping. Distance: 6.98 miles. Time: 1 hour 12 minutes 45 seconds.

One week ago I ran a bit longer. Distance 8.80 miles. Time: 1 hour 34 minutes 36 seconds.

Do I have any chance for half- marathon this year? If it is doable, what should I do to increase my chances for success this September or October?

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Very doable. Several beginner programs only have trainees train up to the 10/11 mile mark for their first half, but you could go well beyond that at your current progress. I'd just keep doing what you're doing with increasing your weekly long runs gradually (0.5 mile-10% of the previous long run).
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do a half this year! I have a plan for a half that gets me ready in 10 weeks. It only mandates three runs a week....one is never longer than 30 minutes, this is your speed work. The second starts at 45 minutes and tops out at an hour. The third starts at 50 minutes and then tops out at full distance, or two hours, whichever works for you.
    Your longer training runs should be about 1.5 minutes a mile SLOWER than your race pace. Have a look at cool runnings plans, or runners world, or even hal higdon and set something up that work for you to follow. I have at least one, usually two days of some strength training in there, too.
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    If you've already ran 9 miles you could run a half marathon next week. Probably wouldn't be the best time and you might be super sore after, but you already have the foundation to run it. Just keep going and try to improve your mileage every other week or so. I'd look for a 10k or a 10 mile race somewhere to tune up or google a half marathon running guide that suits you if you want further guidance. Running is all mind over matter. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll be fine.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    you are absolutely on the right track. check out halhigdon.com

his training got me ready for two half Marathons. might not be the best, but i know it works for me. you'll probably get plenty of opinions here. check them all out and see what works best for you!

and best of luck! finishing a half Marathon is such a great feeling!
  • predawnrunner
    Options
    I second @wbgolden. Check out http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program or any other of his half-marathon programs. I've used them to train for the multiple half-marathons and a marathon.

Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Definitely doable. Get yourself a training program and don't be tempted to push too fast or too hard, or you risk injury (its he voice of experience here - I injured my hip flexors 3 weeks before my first planned half marathon and ended up running 10k instead).
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I third Hal Higdon - my husband went from never running to a half marathon in 4-5 months with his program, hubby is now in trainng for 2nd marathon and umpteenth half....
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding to my question.

I am going to post more information of what I have been doing since I fell in love with running and ask you what to do next.

Having completed my first 5K in September 2011, I kept running an average 1.14 mile (each) three times a week. After my second 5K in November 2011, I increased my runs to 1.5 miles three times a week.

After 1/01/12 I increased my three weekly runs to 2.29 – 2.43 miles each.

I read several times about the importance of incorporating long runs into weekly schedule but thought I was not ready for them yet, because I didn’t even run regular runs for 30 minutes each yet.

Got extremely motivated last week of January and decided to try a long run on 1/28/12. I was positively surprised that I could run for an hour without stopping that day. I managed to run for 1 hour 12 minutes 43 seconds and the distance was 6.98 miles.

Seven days later I wanted to see how long I was physically able to run without stopping and I got my answer. It was 8.80 miles and time was 1:34:36. I believed that “long runs” should be something like that.

I already signed up for three 5K runs this year. I plan to sign up for 10K this year if I find one that is not closed yet. Since I passed the 10K distance during my long runs I started to dream about half-marathon.

Should I shorten my “long” runs? Keep them at 7 or 9 miles level? Increase two regular runs to at least 30 minutes or above? Do anything else?
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, coming from someone who is training for her first half marathon, the two mid week runs or short runs need not be over 3-5 miles, more at 3 miles, with one run a week working progressivlely longer over the weeks before the race... I can now run 8 miles and will keep working up towards a full 13 before the race day... The long one pushes you and the two short maintain the endurance you've built... Hope that helps some!