An easier way to setup goal calories - eating for who you wi

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This makes sense...kind fo hard to estimate your daily activity level though when taking rest days into account and such.
    All I know is that eating below my BMR does freak me out.

Try this example of how to do it, helps a lot.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477753-how-do-i-do-activity-level-and-calculator
  • heybales
    Options
    i checked my BF% this weekend and the calories i got ended up to be similar to what i got.. around 1800.. so should i set my cal to 1800 from now and see what happens? that will make me less guilty as i always eat more than what MFP sets me..

Set the net cals.

Now, I don't recall what level you were eating at (or trying, which may make for a quick recovery actually), but if 400 or more, you should probably do the following. Because your body with suppressed metabolism that have been lowered are usually eager to hold on to any excess you give it, until it realizes it's safe to start burning high again.

So first week, eat an extra snack a day of 200 cal. I've been suggesting Zone or Balance bars, just because it shouldn't spike the insulin in case that is an issue with you. 40/30/30 ratio on them, but there are others like powerCrunch that would work. Perhaps before or after a workout depending on where the meal is in there. After workout protein shake should work too, with milk for some extra carbs.
    Following week, add another 100 cal to 2 meals a day. Some almonds perhaps, something dense until you feel like eating more actually.
    May need another week in there for remainder depending on where you started.
  • melmac67
    Options
    This makes a lot of sense to me, although I admit that I have had to think about it several times to get it straight in my head.

I have not got all that much weight to lose, I mainly joined MFP because I knew I was eating a bit poorly, I could see a bit of scales creep, and could see where it was going.

Since I began, and I already did regular exercise and have an active lifestyle, I have cut back my intake noticeably, but in 4 months have lost practically no weight after losing a little in the first week or so. I have wondered about what might have happened to my BMR.

MFP had me on about 1400 cal, but the tool you provided suggested over 2000. Because I have only about 5kg to lose (~10lb) I'm thinking I might gradually up the calories to that level to allow my BMR to resettle. And choose healthier foods to do that!

Thanks for the advice.
  • vannie18
    Options
    bump
  • Kittie_Kat
    Options
    I'm trying this for 1-2 weeks to see what happens since I haven't lot anything yet anyways...
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Still trying to grasp this concept - bump...
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting.
  • heybales
    Options
    In case some of the recent bumps didn't know, there is a group that was requested to be setup, for posting questions, progress, and I included some better examples of the main problem area, activity calculator.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3088-eating-for-future-you
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm intrigued, but not sure if it will work for me.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Bump for laters... wanna read more into this.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great info.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Bump.

Giving this a try because 1200 calories was making me a miserable person.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    bump
  • susiekate2
    susiekate2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sitasays
    sitasays Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenblwr
    Options
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this idea...but after spending a month watching the calories and eating between 1100 and 1300, and getting absolutely nowhere with weight loss or inch loss, I'm going to give it a shot!

I'm 5'6, 37 years old and want to weigh 130...I plugged that in, along with my activity info and it reckons I need 1801 calories a day! Not quite sure how I'm going to manage to eat that much...but I'm going to give it a go - and hopefully see some results!!
  • LizE31
    LizE31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump...figuring it out!
  • Mia2891
    Mia2891 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm a little confused. I put my information in and that told me at 150, where I want to be, I should be eating 2324 calories. Now help me out here if you can, I am still well above that weight, i do exercise 4-5 nights a week for 60-90 minutes at a time. So am I reading this right that I should be eating more than what I am eating now, which is 1200-1400 and be eating the 2300 like this says?