Hi, I'm Tara...

Options
I was skeptical of this site at first, but I'm glad I gave it another shot. I think I owe that to my sister-in-law, Karen, because she heard me talking about how myfitnesspal gives you calorie recommendations, so she joined and so I decided to stay. I was using fitday.com but this is much better. It seems to have a lot more food input in the database, which saves a whole lot of time. I need some input from anyone on what foods I should buy to stock in my cupboards, foods that are healthy and good for when you're on a diet. Any ideas?

Replies

• Livinlavidalulu
    Options
    Hi!
    I stock my pantry with a huge variety of spices and dried herbs to add a punch of flavor to my dishes without adding greasier options. You can mix and match to create your own spice blend ;)
    Any green, red, orange and purple veggies are awesome too!

Feel free to add if u wish :)
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    hi
    I cut bread out of my diet and replaced it with sun rice rice cakes and ryvita crispbread, the rice cakes are really good, , also protien shakes are great .
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i also use to use fitday.com
    i am fairlly new here
    there are alot of people here to help u:bigsmile:
  • SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Naked and Odwalla fruit smoothie drinks, granola bars (kind, nature valley), rice cakes and rice snacks, pumpkin seeds, nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit....for starters. Explore the shelves....try new products, develope your own list of "love:must have" foods.
  • taramcfarlan
    taramcfarlan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that advice, I'll try it! I've always heard colors of veggies are good....
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    I used to eat rice cakes a long time ago, maybe I'll try them again. Thanks!
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Naked and Odwalla fruit smoothie drinks, granola bars (kind, nature valley), rice cakes and rice snacks, pumpkin seeds, nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit....for starters. Explore the shelves....try new products, develope your own list of "love:must have" foods.

Thanks! That's good advice!
  • hounds726
    hounds726 Posts: 63
    Options
    Welcome back! Great job for sticking to it :) This really is a great community of folks that are ready to give support when needed.

While you can't 'stock up' because they go bad--fresh fruits and veggies are great!

Stick to the outer perimeter at your local grocery. Produce, low fat meats (ground turkey, chicken, etc), yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    I use a Peanut Butter powder that tases just like creamy PB. Only 45 Cals too! Tastes great of Ikea multigrain and rye crackers and crisps.

It's called PB2 and sells in a lot of health food stores. (Cheaper bought direct from manufacturer)
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Tara,
    I buy lots of produce, veggies and fruits. Then I decide which proteins would go well with it, buying amounts we can use in 1 meal, or 2 if it is good left over. I buy as little flour and grain based food as possible, because the more of that stuff I have around, the easier it is to reach for it. I buy the bread that is 60 calories per slice when I buy bread. I wash and cut fruit ahead of time, so when I need a snack, the fresh pineapple calls to me! I think of the fruit as a dessert, and if I don't have cookies in the cabinet, the fruit is satisfying. If I must have a cookie, pizzelles are just 23 calories each, so that is good. For a fancy dessert, a couple chocolate dipped strawberries are better for me because, no flour. Flour based stuff makes me crave more.
    Planning ahead for low cal, delicious meals makes me desire the good stuff. If I wait until I am hungry to throw together a meal, it is probably going to be a fatty, floury comfort food disaster. So I think ahead, before I shop, before I cook, before I eat. That's what helps me. :)
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Hi!
    I stock my pantry with a huge variety of spices and dried herbs to add a punch of flavor to my dishes without adding greasier options. You can mix and match to create your own spice blend ;)
    Any green, red, orange and purple veggies are awesome too!

Feel free to add if u wish :)

livin, I was not sure how to check back for replies on my threads. Now that I'm learning more about this site, I will be better about that! lol. Thanks for the advice, I need to stock up on spices for sure, and can you give me examples of red, orange and purple veggies? I know carrots for orange, but what else?

I just added you. :)
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    hi
    I cut bread out of my diet and replaced it with sun rice rice cakes and ryvita crispbread, the rice cakes are really good, , also protien shakes are great .

I like rice cakes, just not sure if I could "totally" replace bread with them!! lol. I have tried to be good lately by switching from white bread to whole wheat or whole grain bread. I can somehow tell a difference. I like the taste of them too. Thanks for the advice, I need to try me some protein shakes.
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    i also use to use fitday.com
    i am fairlly new here
    there are alot of people here to help u:bigsmile:

Hi Lisa,
    I love MFP compared to fitday!! Glad to see you here too!! And yes, I agree with you, a lot of people are here to help. I love that.
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Welcome back! Great job for sticking to it :) This really is a great community of folks that are ready to give support when needed.

While you can't 'stock up' because they go bad--fresh fruits and veggies are great!

Stick to the outer perimeter at your local grocery. Produce, low fat meats (ground turkey, chicken, etc), yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

Thanks!! That does help!! :) I'm a little late replying, but back on the horse!!!
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    I use a Peanut Butter powder that tases just like creamy PB. Only 45 Cals too! Tastes great of Ikea multigrain and rye crackers and crisps.

It's called PB2 and sells in a lot of health food stores. (Cheaper bought direct from manufacturer)

Oh, how neat! Do you mix it with water?
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Hi Tara,
    I buy lots of produce, veggies and fruits. Then I decide which proteins would go well with it, buying amounts we can use in 1 meal, or 2 if it is good left over. I buy as little flour and grain based food as possible, because the more of that stuff I have around, the easier it is to reach for it. I buy the bread that is 60 calories per slice when I buy bread. I wash and cut fruit ahead of time, so when I need a snack, the fresh pineapple calls to me! I think of the fruit as a dessert, and if I don't have cookies in the cabinet, the fruit is satisfying. If I must have a cookie, pizzelles are just 23 calories each, so that is good. For a fancy dessert, a couple chocolate dipped strawberries are better for me because, no flour. Flour based stuff makes me crave more.
    Planning ahead for low cal, delicious meals makes me desire the good stuff. If I wait until I am hungry to throw together a meal, it is probably going to be a fatty, floury comfort food disaster. So I think ahead, before I shop, before I cook, before I eat. That's what helps me. :)

That's very wise!! When we get out of this financial rut we're in, I'm definitely going to start doing that! Oh, chocolate dipped strawberries sound so yummy!! I have flour, but I'm too lazy to bake sometimes....lol. What are pizzelles and where would I get them??? Thanks for the advice!!!