Going Vegetarian

Options
So i have decided to become a vegetarian. i havent ate red meat like nothing from a cow or pig since i was like 7yrs old but i have decided to give up eating chicken also. i have done a lot of research and i am very big on animal rights and always have been.

is there any other vegetarians on the site. and if there are i would like some advice.

like other sources of protien, meat substitutes,..ect.

Replies

• nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    So i have decided to become a vegetarian. i havent ate red meat like nothing from a cow or pig since i was like 7yrs old but i have decided to give up eating chicken also. i have done a lot of research and i am very big on animal rights and always have been.

is there any other vegetarians on the site. and if there are i would like some advice.

like other sources of protien, meat substitutes,..ect.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Beans combined with a complex carb for a complete protein. Quinoa is a grain that has protein.

If you continue to eat eggs, they are also a good source of protein.

(I'm not a vegetarian, but have scaled way back on my meat consumption)
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't eat meat..haven't since I went off to college, not for animals rights reasons though...I just don't like the way it tastes. Anyways...I eat cottage cheese, peanut butter, and make SURE you take a vitamin B complex. My mom is a registered dietician, and she has me taking these "stresstabs" because they have vitamins B12 and B6 in them.
    Good luck!
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a veggie but I still eat fish. It's very low in fat and I feel great. Oh, my acne has gone to none existant since I quit eating meat. Coincidence? Maybe.
  • nicole0177
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a veggie but I still eat fish. It's very low in fat and I feel great. Oh, my acne has gone to none existant since I quit eating meat. Coincidence? Maybe.

ya i guess there are a lot of benefits people say that they are less tired and they rarely get sick.
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    I haven't had beef for about 15 years, pork for around 10. I gave up poultry 1 1/2 years ago. I still eat fish.

I like morningstar and boca products. High protein and tasty. I also drink protein shakes when I'm falling behind on my protein count. I have to be careful not to over indulge in carbs--such as pasta. Going out to eat can be difficult and expensive, since I usually order shrimp or lobster.:smile: I also have to be careful because I have been anemic since I was a small child. I take iron supplements.

It's not the easiest diet choice and not for everyone. I am proud of my choice and have considered giving up my periodic fish. I don't think I will anytime soon, though.

Good luck!!
  • nicole0177
    Options
    I haven't had beef for about 15 years, pork for around 10. I gave up poultry 1 1/2 years ago. I still eat fish.

I like morningstar and boca products. High protein and tasty. I also drink protein shakes when I'm falling behind on my protein count. I have to be careful not to over indulge in carbs--such as pasta. Going out to eat can be difficult and expensive, since I usually order shrimp or lobster.:smile: I also have to be careful because I have been anemic since I was a small child. I take iron supplements.

It's not the easiest diet choice and not for everyone. I am proud of my choice and have considered giving up my periodic fish. I don't think I will anytime soon, though.

Good luck!!

ya i love seafood idk if i can give that up. i have a weakness for tilapia.
  • zmonster
    zmonster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been thinking a lot lately about going vegan. As far as food goes looks like you got the advice needed: morning star frozen products, Amy's frozen products, beans and any dairy or egg products. The only advice I have to give is to be very cautious about cheese. Most cheese has animal rennet in it and that is from the stomach lining of a calf. We have available to us cheese that is made from vegetable rennet that I can truely not tell the difference. All of my friends are not "veggies" and they have no complaints when I serve this cheese, even plain as an appetizer tray. I too stopped eating animals because of our inhumae treatment of them, so I am sure you can imagine that after a year of this how upset I was when I found out about the killing of calves in order to make cheese! I have not found eating out to be a big problem, I usually order a salad and then steamed vegetables with a baked potato. Best of luck.
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options

Good luck!!

tilapia is a favorite of mine too. I buy the frozen fillets. they last forever and thaw quickly. (only 100 calories per fillet!!)
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been thinking a lot lately about going vegan. As far as food goes looks like you got the advice needed: morning star frozen products, Amy's frozen products, beans and any dairy or egg products. The only advice I have to give is to be very cautious about cheese. Most cheese has animal rennet in it and that is from the stomach lining of a calf. We have available to us cheese that is made from vegetable rennet that I can truely not tell the difference. All of my friends are not "veggies" and they have no complaints when I serve this cheese, even plain as an appetizer tray. I too stopped eating animals because of our inhumae treatment of them, so I am sure you can imagine that after a year of this how upset I was when I found out about the killing of calves in order to make cheese! I have not found eating out to be a big problem, I usually order a salad and then steamed vegetables with a baked potato. Best of luck.

I have had a struggle w/ ordering at a restaurant. I like the idea of salad, veggies and the potatoes idea. Smart girl!
  • nicole0177
    Options

wow i had no idea about cheese. thats disturbing to me.
  • nicole0177
    Options

Good luck!!
    thats the kind i get to its so good and healthy for you.

. (only 100 calories per fillet!!)
    tilapia is a favorite of mine too. I buy the frozen fillets. they last forever and thaw quickly
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've been a lacto-ovo veggie for over 20 years (yikes, I'm old). There are meat products everywhere. Gelatin is a big one (it's in Altoids, Starburst, and other candies as well as other processed foods) and rennet is the other. The cheese doesn't taste differently. If you are doing this for animal rights, like myself, you may want to research where your milk products come from. Most are factory farmed, even the organic.

Don't worry about protein. It's difficult to not get enough (half your weight in grams). I usually get 90-100 grams a day without thinking about it.

Not a big fan of morningstar farms products, though it tastes good, I'm not sure it's good for you. Amy's and Boca are better choices if you like frozen food.

Welcome to the club :bigsmile:

Oh, and if you want to worry about nutrients, start tracking your iron. Most newbie veggies become anemic.
  • nicole0177
    Options
    I've been a lacto-ovo veggie for over 20 years (yikes, I'm old). There are meat products everywhere. Gelatin is a big one (it's in Altoids, Starburst, and other candies as well as other processed foods) and rennet is the other. The cheese doesn't taste differently. If you are doing this for animal rights, like myself, you may want to research where your milk products come from. Most are factory farmed, even the organic.

Don't worry about protein. It's difficult to not get enough (half your weight in grams). I usually get 90-100 grams a day without thinking about it.

Not a big fan of morningstar farms products, though it tastes good, I'm not sure it's good for you. Amy's and Boca are better choices if you like frozen food.

Welcome to the club :bigsmile:

Oh, and if you want to worry about nutrients, start tracking your iron. Most newbie veggies become anemic.

i already am anemic so does that mean i should be extra careful?
    and where can i found out what other candy, snacks have animals products in them?
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    just curious, what blood types are all you vegetarians?? Last year I was in the health food store here in town, I went in to get something to help with my pms moods(sorry if tmi) but when the owner asked if he could help me and I told him, he showed me and then he said "are you a type a bloodtype??" I said yes, actually I'm a+, and he said I thought so, he gave me this book called eat right for your blood type, and he said he could tell because I was so pale, and usually when type a's come in that are meat eaters, they are anemic and pale. After reading the book it says I should be a vegetarian most definitely, (all type a's it says for the best health). I doubt I could ever become a vegetarian, but I wanted to share this since alot of you are saying you are anemic, the book points out that most type a's are anemic. I am curious as to your blood types. It blew me away that he knew from looking at me my bloodtype and that I didnt have the correct diet according to that book. I tried to research the book and havent really found it to be all that popular, but it was just strange he knew from looking at me. :huh:
  • nicole0177
    Options
    just curious, what blood types are all you vegetarians?? Last year I was in the health food store here in town, I went in to get something to help with my pms moods(sorry if tmi) but when the owner asked if he could help me and I told him, he showed me and then he said "are you a type a bloodtype??" I said yes, actually I'm a+, and he said I thought so, he gave me this book called eat right for your blood type, and he said he could tell because I was so pale, and usually when type a's come in that are meat eaters, they are anemic and pale. After reading the book it says I should be a vegetarian most definitely, (all type a's it says for the best health). I doubt I could ever become a vegetarian, but I wanted to share this since alot of you are saying you are anemic, the book points out that most type a's are anemic. I am curious as to your blood types. It blew me away that he knew from looking at me my bloodtype and that I didnt have the correct diet according to that book. I tried to research the book and havent really found it to be all that popular, but it was just strange he knew from looking at me. :huh:

im O+
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Here you go Nicole. I found these..maybe they can help you with what we were talking about.
    http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/nutrition/vegetarian.htm

This one is vegan but has good info on protein
    http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/do_vegetarians_get_enough_protein.htm

good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options

I became vegan when I discovered the way most cheeses are made. I was vegan for almost 2 years. I started eating dairy again, but I always buy vegetable rennet chesses. They're great! There are a lot of things containing animal products that you'd be surprised by ... like fabric softener! Most fabric softeners use animal tallow. Gross, eh?