does muscle really weigh more than fat?

Options
iv heard afew people over last few day say that they have gained weight even tho they are exercising etc and people have commented saying dont worry its probably muscle your gaining,

well i thought that muscle didnt weigh more than fat it was just more compact so you can weigh the same yet look thinner :indifferent:

now im unsure as iv seen quite afew people in the last week saying muscle is heavier so makes you gain weight :huh:

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    iv heard afew people over last few day say that they have gained weight even tho they are exercising etc and people have commented saying dont worry its probably muscle your gaining,

well i thought that muscle didnt weigh more than fat it was just more compact so you can weigh the same yet look thinner :indifferent:

now im unsure as iv seen quite afew people in the last week saying muscle is heavier so makes you gain weight :huh:

By volume muscles weigh more than fat, yes.

But it shouldn't make you gain unless you are really bulking up, which is very unlikely - you only need to talk to some of the weight trainers on here to see how hard it is to gain weight that is just pure muscle and not include any fat.
  • mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It weighs pretty much the same, just takes up less space. Do bodyfat% etc. to do measurments other than the scale.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes, by volume fat weights less, but not by a lot at all - a litre of muscle would weigh 1.06kg and a litre of fat is 0.9 so muscle is 18% denser. It isn't an excuse for people who say they weigh more because they have muscle underneath.

fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • hannata86
    Options
    its probably more likely that the muscle tissues are retaining water than actual muscle growth... it takes months of training to gain a pound of muscle so you wouldn't see that kind of gain overnight. If you want to train and lose weight, take measurements. They tell a far better story than a set of scales ever could. :)
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavier for the same volume. Its density is greater. It also "looks better" under the skin. So a 150lb person with low fat will look a lot thinner and healthier than someone of the same height but a higher fat percentage.

However, most people will not be able to put enough weight in muscle on to explain any weight gain in the times most of us are talking. However, increased muscle also increases your metabolism because at rest muscle burns more calories than at rest fat.

Main thing to do is not stress so much over the scales, but look at your clothing and your body. If your clothes are looser and you are slimmer then you are losing the kind of weight that you want to (i.e fat). You're also healthier. I've started exercising and although I cant see any difference yet, I can feel it in that my muscles are harder already. I'm not weighing more though as I have little fat to burn off in the first place and I've not built up the muscle as yet... but I will.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    . it takes months of training to gain a pound of muscle so you wouldn't see that kind of gain overnight.

That isnt true. You can gain a pound of muscle weight every week. There are exercise regimes out there that show you how to. You can even gain 3 pounds of muscle a week, but that is by using very extreme methods.

You need to bear in mind what you are doing and where you are starting. If you are already well muscled then you will not gain a lot and if you dont do the right exercises and eat enough protein you wont either. However a slim person drinking shakes all day and working out a couple of hours a day can put on a serious amount of muscle weight.. and I am not talking from google information here either as I once worked out a lot and I gained a 24 pounds in muscle.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    . it takes months of training to gain a pound of muscle so you wouldn't see that kind of gain overnight.

That isnt true. You can gain a pound of muscle weight every week. There are exercise regimes out there that show you how to. You can even gain 3 pounds of muscle a week, but that is by using very extreme methods.
    i.e. roids
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    i wasnt talking about myself :smile:
    i just wondered in general thanks all
  • kristine321
    Options
    A pound is a pound, no matter how it is weighed.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, by volume fat weights less, but not by a lot at all - a litre of muscle would weigh 1.06kg and a litre of fat is 0.9 so muscle is 18% denser. It isn't an excuse for people who say they weigh more because they have muscle underneath.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

I love this visual. Thank you.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat -- BY VOLUME!

In other words, a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.
    Why? Muscle is more dense than fat like lead is denser than water.

That's all people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.
    Some may not express the concept correctly, but that's what they mean.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound, no matter how it is weighed.

But the SIZE of the two pieces of tissue will be different. If they two pieces are exactly the same size however, the muscle will weight more, this is what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    a pound of muscle is the same weight as a pound of fat, but takes up less space. thats like the old 'does a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers weigh more!'

for the same volume of muscle and fat, the muscle will weigh more :)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    You should ignore anyone who suggests that while on a fat loss diet that you might be gaining muscle.
  • sdlr4592
    Options
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I was going to post about this, but I was scared I'd get a bad reaction. Lol. Very interesting ill read again later x
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs the same as fat.
    A pound is a pound is a pound.

BUT the density of muscle takes up much less room making you appear smaller.

You would not necessarily gain from muscle, it takes MONTHS and the most you can gain in a year is 12 pounds on a VERY strict diet/exercise plan.
    Although, sometimes after you start an intense weight training routine, your muscles retain water, just the same as sodium does so your weight may go up the day after a intense workout.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I wanna gain 3 pounds of muscle in a week!! BULL****!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You should ignore anyone who suggests that while on a fat loss diet that you might be gaining muscle.

Why should you ignore them? If a person is losing fat through a diet, they may be weight-training or something and so gaining muscle at the same time.
  • lilmissemmylou
    lilmissemmylou Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    for me muscle build wouldnt make me put weight on, but when i got back to doing 5 workouts a week I spent 1 month without losing a single lb! It was very frustrating BUT measuring myself told me that it didn't matter as I was losing inches so I knew it was all heading in the right direction.

So if your not losing weight but exercising and feel u should be losing weight, start measuring :)