Steel Cut Oats

Options
I tried some steel cut oats for the first time this morning. I was wondering what the appeal was, and after trying them, I am still wondering. LOL. I don't know if they are something I would want to eat on a regular basis. It reminded me of eating rice? Am I missing something? Should I add some flavor to the oats? Are the health benefits so extraordinary, I should learn to like them? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oats on their own aren't that flavorful. Try adding some cinnamon and bananas (or blueberries!).

As for the health benefits, I'm not sure they're the be-all-end-all, but they can be pretty good for you. They're a complex carb, which means they'll release their energy slower over a longer period of time, helping to reduce blood sugar spikes. Especially useful for diabetics (like me). And they're full of fiber, keeping you full longer.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I add peanut butter, cinnamon, and almond milk to mine. They aren't super interesting alone, but they keep me full for a while.
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Add some brown sugar and dried fruits or raisins. They will taste so much better.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try adding some flavor next time. :smile:
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free vanilla almond milk, throw in some died cranberries while it's cooking and toss in a few walnuts when they are done, yummy!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love them, and do eat them solo, but I prefer them in my muesli mix. Maybe if you don't get on with them you can give them to your horses ;)
  • joakool
    Options
    Yes, Russ! I had thought of that. My Thoroughbred is quite fond of warm, cooked oatmeal, so I'm sure he wouldn't complain about the oats like me.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    so what is the difference between old fashioned oats and steel cut oats
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats?
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Old fashioned rolled oats have been well, rolled, lol. They are flat, like flakes. Steel cut oats are little round grains still. They don't go through the flattening process and therefore are much heartier. They take a lot longer to cook, but the taste and texrure are far superior in my opinion! Not pasty at all, and they keep me full for a long time.

But you do have to add flavor! I like apples and walnuts, or blueberries and a bit of cinnamon. I also add a tiny bit of sugar but I'm trying to wean off of that and go with just the sweetness of the fruit.
  • kjaull
    Options
    I believe in old fashioned Oats the oats have been cushed or flattened. Steel Cut, the oat is cut. The Steel cut take longer to digest becuase the process has not broken them down as much.?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    so do steel cut oats have to be cooked? cause sometimes i add oats to my protein shake but if i decide to buy steel cut oats would i have to cook them first?
  • I just put a teaspoon of pure maple syrup in mine to sweeten it, lol.
    It's actually really good. :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    so do steel cut oats have to be cooked? cause sometimes i add oats to my protein shake but if i decide to buy steel cut oats would i have to cook them first?

Definitely! They are as hard as brown rice. I usually simmer them 30 - 40 minutes covered over very low heat. I make a lot at once and reheat.
  • joakool
    Options

Definitely! They are as hard as brown rice. I usually simmer them 30 - 40 minutes covered over very low heat. I make a lot at once and reheat.

Very true. They take a lot longer to cook than "instant" oats.
    With all these great add-in suggestions, I will have to give them another try.
    I did notice (as mentioned here), they do keep you fuller longer. :smile:
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    Options

They do take long(er) to cook, but I also make about 4 servings at once. It keep well in the fridge for those 3+ days. Easy to pop into the mocrowave and re-heat.

I add a drop of unpasteurized honey and a good portion of cinnamon.
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this!! I just bought my first box today. Looks like it will be with fresh raspberries for me in the morning. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Both instant and old fashioned oat ..... are INSTANT oats

Old Fashioned are steamed & then rolled

Instant oats are steamed, & then rolled thinner

Steel Cut are not steamed. They are not cooked at all. Sometimes you can buy an "instant" steel cut. But those have been toasted or cooked in some way also.