strenghth excerise

Options
how come it tells me how many calories i burn off by doing a cardio workout, but not when i do a strength workout? I want to know how many calories i burn off after my workout.

Replies

• jimmacdonald
    jimmacdonald Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) under cardio

cheers :happy:
    Jim
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    MFP doesnt track strength training well, it is listed under cardio as 'strength training' but its very general
  • 97allisona
    Options
    yeah i clicked on it, and put my workout on it but didn't say how many calories i burned, it just says how many calories i burned from doing rowing?
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think what they mean is that under the "add exercise" under cardio exercise, you can type in "strength training" and it will add an exercise with the calories burned under cardio.
  • maryjopatricia
    maryjopatricia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    we JUST found where calories count ... check "Circuit Training" vs. strength training! :happy:
  • 97allisona
    Options
    oh i see, i did 60 minutes today, and it just said i burned 203 is that just an average what i might of burned off?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't burn much calories anyway. The muscle mass that you get from it does though.
  • 97allisona
    Options
    yeah i clicked on cardio and added strength training, and it came back from a 60 minute workout, that iv burned off 203 calories is that just an average?
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Strength training is ridiculously difficult to gauge for calories burned without some other measure (like a heart rate monitor). The MFP general categories for exercise, like strength training, have no real way to gauge effort put into the activity. And strength training is highly dependent on the effort you put in.

Two people who are identical in every way (height, weight, etc.) can go to the gym and strength train. One can bust *kitten* for an hour, get the most intense workout ever. One can be lackadaisical, half-*kitten* a bunch of weight lifting without *really* doing much. Both did "Strength training - 1 hour" Both are identical, physically. One worked a helluva lot more and burned a helluva lot more calories.

If you want a good gauge on what you burned, get a heart rate monitor, wear it to the gym while you lift.
  • 97allisona
    Options
    okay cheers, id say my workout today was moderate. When i put that i did 60 mins workout in strength training and it came back that i burned 203kl would you say that's about right?