Sedentary or Moderately Active

Options
Sedentary: BMR (2050) X 1.2 = 2460 - Daily Defecit (500) = 1960

Moderately Active: 2050 X 1.55 = 3177 - 500 = 2677

I have a sedentary job, but work out about 5 times a week. I'm confused as to which multiplier (sed vs mod. active) I should be using.

If I use the sedentary equation, I'd eat calories burned when I work out, but aim for the 1960 on off-days. This would still only result in a maximum of 2300-2400 calories on a given day and less than the 2677 suggested using the moderatly active multiplier.

If I used the moderately active equation, I'd aim for the 2677 daily, regardless of whether I work out or not.

Which one should I use?

Replies

• Bernie526
    Bernie526 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used the sedentary, even though I work out 5 times a week. I think that was the guideline I read. If you use the moderate, you are giving yourself permission to eat more, and I didn't want that.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    True...MFP's even lower...placing my daily allowance at 1610 using sedentary. I'm not sure which one I'll go with.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this same exact thing (i decided to go with the sedentary because of my job, but i workout 4 times or more a week..figured it would be safer to not allow myself more calories) Thanks for asking this :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I utilize the second approach (inline with the Katch McArdle formula) and that is what I use for all the people I work with. It is a bit more helpful so you aren't scrambling to eat more calories late as night and gives you an opportunity to be more satisfied throughout the day so you binge less. Also helps a bit more with pre-planning meals. I will say, I don't fully trust MFP's number solely so I verify it through another site or two like the link below.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

I also found out, that even though I have a sedentary job, I still walk a lot, so I should have been lightly active from the start.
  • kingkong123
    Options
    bump...
  • kingkong123
    Options
    any thoughts from the morning crowd?...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you choose sedentary, then you record your workouts and eat the extra calories.

If you choose moderate, then you don't record your workouts and you eat the same calories every day.

I chose sedentary and then I eat my calories on the days that I work out. I tend to be VERY hungry on those days.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Im am in the same situation of you and use sedentary, I eat 1600 cals on non workout days and 1600-1900 on workout days