runners... is this possible?

so last night I signed up for a 10k that's 2 months away, but the farthest I've ever run is 4 miles (and that was yesterday). Normally I run 6 days a week for 3-3.5 miles. I was wondering if it's even possible to be able to boost up my distance in time. I'm not aiming for a good time(completion time, i do plan on having fun), just to finish. any tips would be appreciated ^_^ thank you guys

Replies

• walk it.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Eight weeks - try the Bridge Program from Couch to 5 K. It's supposed to help you get from 5K to 10K. Runkeeper has an app for Android that will help you with it. Not sure exactly how long the program is, but I think in 8 weeks you could get close to the distance you need for a 10K.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Yes, very possible. Rule of thumb is to increase your distance by 10% a week. So if you're at a solid 3.5 right now, increase by 10% each week....and you'll be at 10K distance in 6 weeks.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Yes definately!

I signed up for a half marathon when the most I had ever run before was 10 miles!

Why don't you try and run 4 miles next time you run (not a big jump from 3.5) then try 5 miles a week later and try to build up like that?

Remember to eat a little more the days you are going to do a longer run and as you are not used to running longer distances, have a rest day the next day instead of pushing yourself to do 3 miles as you normally would?

Hope that helps!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    While I don't consider myself a runner, I definitely feel this is possible. Last year when I completed my first 5K I was going to use the Bridge to 10K app to prepare for a 10K. Unfortunately I never did however I just looked and it is a 6 week program. So if you are able to run a 5K now, I think the program would be prefect for you. And you have a couple extra weeks in case you need to repeat any days. Good luck! You can do it!!
  • nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    You say you've run 4 miles, that's 2/3rds of a 10k (6.2 miles). You can easily do it in 2 months. If you increase your distance by 10% each week, it will only take you 4 weeks to get to 6 miles: 4.4, 5, 5.5, 6 miles by week 4.
    You can definitely do this.
    And there will be loads of training programmes online to get you to a 10k distance.
    Good luck!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    With the amount of running you're already doing, you can easily run 10K. You could do it right now, although your finishing time wouldn't be as good as it could be 2 months from now with more training.

When I ran my first half marathon, the longest I had ever run was 6 miles. I trained for only 5 weeks and still did okay.

Listen to your body. Prior fitness and natural talent greatly influence how quickly you can improve your distance and pace.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,407 Member
    You can do it!
  • Oh absolutely! You'll be just fine. You still have 8 wks to go and you are already at a 4-mi long run, which is fantastic. I would even say you are right on schedule. If you followed the 10% rule (mentioned by a prev post), then you'll have 4.4, 5.0, and 5.5 mi long runs left. With that, you could either repeat long run distances each week (ie, do 4 this weekend, 4.4 next weekend, 4.4 the next weekend, then 5, then 5 again, then 5.5 for two weekends). Or, you could back off and only do your long runs every other weekend (with a shorter, 3 mi or so, run in between). Or, do your LRs each weekend, then take an easy week.

So, there are all kinds of different approaches you can take. But the point is, you can definitely do this! Whatever you do, though, make sure that the week before the race is a low mileage, easy week. You should be tapering off so you body can rest up before race day.

One other thing - you might consider swapping one of your run days with cross training or rest, especially if you start feeling burned out from running. It's very individual, but running 6 days a week can be too much for some. Just listen to your body - if you start dreading your runs, feeling fatigued, heavy legs, blah - all those are signs of overtraining and time for an extra day or two of rest.

Good luck and have a great race!
  • laurapgmartinez
    laurapgmartinez Posts: 46 Member
    You say you've run 4 miles, that's 2/3rds of a 10k (6.2 miles). You can easily do it in 2 months. If you increase your distance by 10% each week, it will only take you 4 weeks to get to 6 miles: 4.4, 5, 5.5, 6 miles by week 4.
    You can definitely do this.
    And there will be loads of training programmes online to get you to a 10k distance.
    Good luck!

^^This! You will rock it!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    With the amount of running you're already doing, you can easily run 10K. You could do it right now, although your finishing time wouldn't be as good as it could be 2 months from now with more training.

When I ran my first half marathon, the longest I had ever run was 6 miles. I trained for only 5 weeks and still did okay.

Listen to your body. Prior fitness and natural talent greatly influence how quickly you can improve your distance and pace.
    this . I think you can do it. Its highly possible. I walked through my first 5k. I had never done any training.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Yes, very possible. Rule of thumb is to increase your distance by 10% a week. So if you're at a solid 3.5 right now, increase by 10% each week....and you'll be at 10K distance in 6 weeks.

this
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Yep, I went from 5k to 10k in about 5 weeks. You can do it!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Most definately!!! You could do it right now. Longer distances tend to be so mental, you can already do 4. For my first half marathon my longest training run was 8 miles (injury kept me out, but I would have only gone to 10 miles), and was easily able to run the 13.1 on race day.

All of the training ideas above are great. Good luck!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    so last night I signed up for a 10k that's 2 months away, but the farthest I've ever run is 4 miles (and that was yesterday). Normally I run 6 days a week for 3-3.5 miles. I was wondering if it's even possible to be able to boost up my distance in time. I'm not aiming for a good time(completion time, i do plan on having fun), just to finish. any tips would be appreciated ^_^ thank you guys

Yes it is possible you can do this, I know what worked for me is to walk some run some and build yourself up to this 6 mile run, for some it might be about 7 miles however if you are doing 4 now it is possible to do 6. At some point you will get to run the entire 10 miles.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    As already stated, you could do that quite easily. You are already runnign 18+ mpw, you could run a 10k tomorrow.

And with your base you could bump your "long" run up well past 6.2 miles by race day.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Easily! If you are already running 4 miles at a time, you only have an extra 2.2 to tack on. If you just add the mileage you will be able to do that by next week!
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    My max was 3 miles before I ran my 1st half marathon. You'll be fine. Another. 2.2 won't hurt ya. You're gonna do great. Have fun!
  • =D yay thank you guys so much I'm really excited now reading that it's possible! and that 10% thing doesn't sound bad at all, and for the cross-training/rest days yea maybe I'll have a day or two break or bike ride. thanks for the personal stories too--motivation! thank youuuu
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    You'll be fine.

FWIW - I reject that 10% rule. I say listen to your body instead. People throw it around like it is some sort of guarantee or something. The truth is you might be able to jump for 4 to 5 miles with no problem or you could get injured going from 4 to 4.25.

Either way, good luck and have fun!