donating blood and running?

Options
For those of you that donate blood, how long does it take for you to feel recovered enough to do a long run? Do you feel it much? I'm considering donating again, probably a week after my 1/2 marathon on the 19th, and just wondered how you other runners feel while running, after donating blood?

Replies

• lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I do donate blood. the Red Cross tells you no exercise for 5 hours afterwards & to drink extra fluids for the next 48. I imagine within that time, you'll be able to pick up again.
  • neznarf0205
    neznarf0205 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. For me I don't wait any time. I normally ride my bicycle to donate, and I laugh when they tell me no physical activity after. Now the first time I gave I drove and waited to see how my reaction was but then I slowly added movement and work after the next couple of times. I do dual red donations (where they take out a pint centrifuge out red cells and put the rest back in and then do it again) but I used to bicycle to regular donations too. Thank you for donating!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's about 2 days drinking extra water to do intense exercise. Sometimes more. Since I'm not a runner, it's hard to say for sure, but I am a cardio nut and I have to tone it down for about 2 days following a donation.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I'm small and have low blood pressure, so I usually have to wait 24 hours, but if you're bigger, the amount you donate might not have as much of an effect on you.
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    I've only done this combo once, so I can only share that one experience. I ran a very easy 5k race then donated and I was shocked at how tired I was the rest of the day! But I would say I felt fine by the next day. It sure seems like you ought to be recovered enough after a day or two to do your next LR?