Foods to cut down on

Options
I keep reading how people are cutting down on breads and other items. What would you say the best foods to cut down on are? I think I eat pretty healthy, but love my carbs I guess. If you want take a look at my food diary and see if you see anything I need to work on, and give me suggestions on what to cut back on, today is only day 3 for me, and monday I did eat more junk then I should have (super bowl leftovers).

Replies

• ladylaine
    ladylaine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    UP UR PROTEIN AND LOWER YOUR CARBS
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend too much concern over what foods NOT to eat and instead focus on hitting your macronutrient targets by end of day. I say this assuming that you at least have some common sense which you apparently do.

As far as your kcal and macro intake, I would up your protein intake (don't know your weight, but at a glance I'd double it) and since your fat intake looks reasonable as is, I would reduce carbs in order to facilitate this.

EDIT: And to be clear -- carbs are not bad by any means and you don't need to avoid them. The reason I am suggesting reduction in carbs is to allow you to increase protein without reducing fat intake since dietary fat is necessary. If you are to keep caloric intake the same and increase one macronutrient, you need to decrease one or both of the other. In your case, you should eat more protein and your fat intake is in a good spot. So, carbs need to drop to accomplish this.

I'm being extra clear on this so you don't walk away from this thinking "carbs are bad".
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend too much concern over what foods NOT to eat and instead focus on hitting your macronutrient targets by end of day. I say this assuming that you at least have some common sense which you apparently do.

As far as your kcal and macro intake, I would up your protein intake (don't know your weight, but at a glance I'd double it) and since your fat intake looks reasonable as is, I would reduce carbs in order to facilitate this.

EDIT: And to be clear -- carbs are not bad by any means and you don't need to avoid them. The reason I am suggesting reduction in carbs is to allow you to increase protein without reducing fat intake since dietary fat is necessary. If you are to keep caloric intake the same and increase one macronutrient, you need to decrease one or both of the other. In your case, you should eat more protein and your fat intake is in a good spot. So, carbs need to drop to accomplish this.

I'm being extra clear on this so you don't walk away from this thinking "carbs are bad".

Listen to this dude. He speaks the truth! :D
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Can do, thanks!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs. I use lower calorie-carb breads,tortillas, pitas and portion control on pasta and potatoes. I stay clear of sweet snacks unless it's a special occasion. Low fat popcorn is my go to snack.
  • gogogo53
    gogogo53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well said, agree totally
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

very well put
  • amyvandyke
    Options
    All good advice! I took a look at your food diary over the last few days and didn't see a single green salad in there! Up those veggies, girl! You can do it!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm about a month in to calorie counting and logging on this site. I'm still finding my way through do's and don'ts and for myself, the only things that I'll give up are the ones that I know I have no control over in terms of stopping at the right portion. Until I have a grip on myself I'd rather leave those out altogether. Everything else I'm eating in moderation and logging every single thing.

I will never eat Ready Break again though - not because I love it (I don't) but the calories in a small bowl are just horrendous, a huge eye-opener for me!
  • susie10
    Options
    i try not to eat pasta or potatos in the same meal
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options

This is an awesome post therefore not much more anyone can add to make it more helpful! Very good explanation!
  • Pattinan
    Pattinan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    read later
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have been slacking in the veggies department lately, I did have a salad for lunch on sunday but had the buffalo chicken salad with ranch dressing, oh and 2 slices of fried pickles kinda defeats the purpose of a salad, so probably not the best choice. I am gonna add more veggies to dinner tonight, and try to eat atleast one salad a day from here on out, my biggest problem with this is the additions I make to the salad, I like ranch or italian, but have enjoyed balsamic dressing.