how many calories do I really eat?

Options
I started on May 26th. I haven't lost anything yet (well inches no weight). I am 5'2", weigh 201 - 203. My BMI is 37.1 :blushing: The workout program that I am using is building muscle (I know because I'm starting to feel them:wink: ) as well as, cardio. I do it 3-4/week, plus have a large garden that I'm in a lot. I am drinking 90+ oz of water a day. Eat clean for the most part. My goal is 1620 net cals before exercise. I do not get all my exercis cals in (although I try and am getting within 200 usually). I'm only trying for 1 lb a week, thinking it would be a reasonable goal. If I go to 2 lbs/week then it nets me 1200. Which seems too low for my BMR (1584 according to MFP). I think I'm confused. I'm sorry for the jumbled mess. I need help figuring out what I'm supposed to be do.

I am a Mom to a 5yo boy and consider myself lightly active.
please help.
Amber

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    With a BMI of 37, barring any medical limitations, you should be able to do 2 lbs a week safely.
  • Vogue
    Vogue Posts: 15
    Options
    :smile: I think if you make your goal 2 pounds a week you may find yourself working harder at trying to burn the excess calories. Try for 2! check out this link from Parade Magazine:

Research shows that adding intervals to traditional aerobic workouts can improve cardiovascular fitness in less time. Intervals help by using up glycogen in your muscles and then burning more fat after your workout.

Interval training involves adding bursts of more intense exercise to your regular routine. If you normally walk, for example, try speeding up for 20 seconds every minute. Then, as you get in better shape, jog 20 seconds out of every minute. Over time, work up to running for that 20-second interval. If you’re already a runner, revamp your routine by alternating between sprinting and jogging. Gradually increase the duration and intensity of your sprint intervals while decreasing the periods of rest between them.

“The more intense the interval bursts, the more improvement you’ll see and the more calories you’ll burn—and continue to burn—for up to 24 hours,” says William J. Kraemer, a professor in the kinesiology department at the University of Connecticut’s Human Performance Laboratory. “As a bonus, intervals train muscle fibers that are not used during aerobic exercise, so you’ll get more of your muscles in shape.”

http://www.parade.com/health/2009/06/burn-fat-faster.html <
    that is the link!
  • dmscarff
    dmscarff Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello my name is Denise I’m 5’4 and started at 150lbs. I now weigh 133 I faithfully use the biggest loser cookbooks they have a lot of good recipes and good information. The formula they use for calories needed in a day is:
    Your present weight x 7 = your daily calorie needs for weight loss
    So if your weight is 203 x 7 = 1421 calories a day. I hope this helps and good luck!
    also I dont eat extra calories just because I worked out...good luck
  • toddduper
    toddduper Posts: 9
    Options
    Ok, I too am having issues with this as well. I've been working out religiously since February 5-6 days a week. I do cardio 3 days a week for sure and strength training 2-3 days, for sure 2. For cardio, I use the Cross Trainer at my gym. Originally doing only that for 60 minutes doing different programs. During the past couple months, I've added in treadmill work and recumbent bike instead of only doing 1 exercise all the time. I also do sprints on the treadmill and Cross Trainer. Weights, is upper body 1 day and lower the other. That's the routine, here's about me:
    I'm a big guy! I'm 6' 3" and 295 lbs and recently have been going the other direction and not liking it. I've lost inches and gained muscle I know but i'm tired of hearing "muscle weighs more than fat". Anyone overweight knows this but to me, personally, muscle burns more calories too so you should still loose weight.
    Based on my body, MFP says for me to have about 2000 calories. On my cardio days, I typically burn 1000-1300 calories. I consume about 2200-2500 per day. Am I not getting enough? It's beyond frustrating!
  • peacefuljewel
    peacefuljewel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    THanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Ok, I too am having issues with this as well. I've been working out religiously since February 5-6 days a week. I do cardio 3 days a week for sure and strength training 2-3 days, for sure 2. For cardio, I use the Cross Trainer at my gym. Originally doing only that for 60 minutes doing different programs. During the past couple months, I've added in treadmill work and recumbent bike instead of only doing 1 exercise all the time. I also do sprints on the treadmill and Cross Trainer. Weights, is upper body 1 day and lower the other. That's the routine, here's about me:
    I'm a big guy! I'm 6' 3" and 295 lbs and recently have been going the other direction and not liking it. I've lost inches and gained muscle I know but i'm tired of hearing "muscle weighs more than fat". Anyone overweight knows this but to me, personally, muscle burns more calories too so you should still loose weight.
    Based on my body, MFP says for me to have about 2000 calories. On my cardio days, I typically burn 1000-1300 calories. I consume about 2200-2500 per day. Am I not getting enough? It's beyond frustrating!

You are definitely not eating enough. If MFP has you eating 2000 (and you're at a 2lb a week goal, I assume) and you're burning 1000 more then you're really only eating 1200 to 1500 (if you add those extra ones), considering a man of normal build should NEVER go below 1800, I think you're well below. I wouldn't see a problem if you were eating about 2800, but 2200 to 2500 is equivalent to a woman eating 700 to 900 calories a day.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    SHBoss,

If I understand this right, I should be eating ALL of my excercise calories every day I work out and just my normal calories on the days I don't??? I get so confused!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough. If MFP has you eating 2000 (and you're at a 2lb a week goal, I assume) and you're burning 1000 more then you're really only eating 1200 to 1500 (if you add those extra ones), considering a man of normal build should NEVER go below 1800, I think you're well below. I wouldn't see a problem if you were eating about 2800, but 2200 to 2500 is equivalent to a woman eating 700 to 900 calories a day.

So SHBoss, if I understand this right, I should be eating ALL of my excercise calories every day I work out and just my normal calories on the days I don't??? I get so confused!!

Yes, usually, some people don't eat them ALL back, and that's fine. The idea is to find a level of calorie deficit that's safe, and works for you, since everyone is different, and has different levels of tolerance for deficit, some people can have a larger deficit then others, BUT, while sticking to what you said above will work for almost everyone (assuming you got your metabolic rate correct), some can have a larger deficit and still be safe, that's something you don't know until you do a little tweaking and trial and error, but yes,it's generally the best thing for most people to follow the general practice of allowing MFP to create your deficit, and you eat what it tells you to eat and not leave any (or many) calories on the table. I wrote this up a long time ago, it should explain it in more detail.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    SHBoss,

If I understand this right, I should be eating ALL of my excercise calories every day I work out and just my normal calories on the days I don't??? I get so confused!!

FYI this is especially important for someone like yourself with only 8 lbs to go as you don't have much left over body fat, and can't afford to be dipping into your essential fats, it will cause dramatic slowdown in your metabolism if you do.
  • mkwood10
    Options
    SHBoss,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I had my metabolic rate rested by a registered nutritionist at the university I work at, so I'm very confident that I'm calculating my daily calorie needs correctly. It's really frustrating when NOTHING moves - the scale's stuck and the inches haven't changed :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: I'm trying to make sure I get more workouts in every week now that my topsy-turvy mom of a college student life has settled down a bit........ hopefully it will help!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    SHBoss,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I had my metabolic rate rested by a registered nutritionist at the university I work at, so I'm very confident that I'm calculating my daily calorie needs correctly. It's really frustrating when NOTHING moves - the scale's stuck and the inches haven't changed :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: I'm trying to make sure I get more workouts in every week now that my topsy-turvy mom of a college student life has settled down a bit........ hopefully it will help!!

just be ready for a fight, 8 lbs to go, it's gonna take a while, and you're gonna have some times where your body is rebelling. It's just how it goes for the "last 10 lbers" trust me I was where you are, about 10 months ago.
  • toddduper
    toddduper Posts: 9
    Options
    SHBoss, thanks for the input. It's pretty much what I thought. I need to train myself to eat more through out the day. Eat several meals but it's difficult, as we all know. Best to all! this is a great site!
  • mkwood10
    Options
    SHBoss,
    Thanks for the feedback.

just be ready for a fight, 8 lbs to go, it's gonna take a while, and you're gonna have some times where your body is rebelling. It's just how it goes for the "last 10 lbers" trust me I was where you are, about 10 months ago.

Thanks for th encouragement!!! :happy: At least now I understand why it's so hard to lose these last pounds; it'll make it easier not to get so frustrated when nothing changes. :frown:
  • Zephyr36608
    Options
    Hello my name is Denise I’m 5’4 and started at 150lbs. I now weigh 133 I faithfully use the biggest loser cookbooks they have a lot of good recipes and good information. The formula they use for calories needed in a day is:
    Your present weight x 7 = your daily calorie needs for weight loss
    So if your weight is 203 x 7 = 1421 calories a day. I hope this helps and good luck!
    also I dont eat extra calories just because I worked out...good luck

Interesting concept & the numbers I get using this seem about right. Thx for posting that. I've seen a lot of references to various concepts from the biggest loser. I've never watched the program. Is there a place online for the info etc from that? Thx!

231922.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    I'm not convinced that we can rely on the math provided by mfp. and although I'm not losing the pounds...as I should be....I am trimming up and fitting into clothes MUCH better. that counts for more than a number on a scale, as far as I'm concerned.
    I think there are so many reasons the scale may not move for some of us...we have no clue what really goes on inside our bodies!!! To think that this formula will work perfectly for everyone, is just not the case...
    But hang in there...go by how you feel. are you stronger? more flexible? etc....
    We can do this.
    Cindy
  • peacefuljewel
    peacefuljewel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that we can rely on the math provided by mfp. and although I'm not losing the pounds...as I should be....I am trimming up and fitting into clothes MUCH better. that counts for more than a number on a scale, as far as I'm concerned.
    I think there are so many reasons the scale may not move for some of us...we have no clue what really goes on inside our bodies!!! To think that this formula will work perfectly for everyone, is just not the case...
    But hang in there...go by how you feel. are you stronger? more flexible? etc....
    We can do this.
    Cindy

Thank you. I have some lost inches and feeling stronger. Sometimes, it just bugs me to "still" be over 200. i"ve been working at this for over 3 years. So far I've lost 25 lbs and 4 dress sizes. It's been very slow....but I was reminded yesterday of all the lifestyle changes that have been made in my life.
    Thank you again for your encouragement.
    Amber
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    Amber, 4 dress sizes is incredible...go girl!!!!
    Let's get out of our scale mentality!!!:smile:
    Cindy