Where does it go?

Options
:laugh: OK...this sounds silly, but I mean it...where does the fat go? I know we say we "burn" it -but it can't just disappear...I don't wake up in a pool of burned up fat...so, seriously...how does it 'disappear'?

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing for years. Maybe it's like it evaporates????
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing the other day.

I figured it either evaporates like memaw said, or we sweat or poop it out. :laugh: I'm probably WAY off though.
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Options
    It is used by cells in the body. The cells turn fat stored in adipose tissue into energy. It is literally "burned off". Another way that the body gets rid of fat is through feces. But this can only happen if you are taking a supplement like ALLI. The body does not lose much fat through bowel movements. You can cross reference this if you'd like.

Take care.:wink:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't think it actually goes anywhere. As you diet and exercise your fat cells shrink and get smaller. I think they are always there but depending on your weight they can be big fat cells or small fat cells. I may be wrong but I think I read this somewhere.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I just thought about this too!!! :laugh:
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    Actually, the number of fat cells doesn't disappear(unless you go through lipo!). It's the amount of fat stored in them that goes away. It is used as fuel by our other body cells, so it is "burned" off.
  • hickory
    hickory Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to wonder that! LOL :laugh:
  • kitty_cat023
    Options
    i think TCASMEY and nhoffman08 are right, you always have fat cells, and they just shrink and grow, but i've also wondered that before too!

206924.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    *Note: this is my understanding. Feel free to correct me.*
    Some comes out in urine. There's actually a test where you can see the levels of "ketones" in your urine which is used fat. Also, some comes out in your breath. You never lose the number of fat cells, but they shrink in size when you lose weight.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

It's used up by your energy systems. Fat is broken into its constituent parts--fatty acids and glycerols--which are used in the Krebs Cycle and Glycolysis, respectively. Those cycles produce ATP for energy, and the waste--H2O--exits the body. It's not a crazy question at all, I mean, the stuff has to go somewhere hehe

I am so glad we have you, SBS!

Well I'm glad I have you guys!

yes i also love reading your posts!!

the way it was explained to me was that the fat cells just shrink they don't actually go away. You just have to get them to go back down :)

Fat cells do indeed stick with you forever. But each cell isn't just one triglyceride...the cells are filled with them, so as you use the triglycerides, the cells do shrink. Think of the cell as a bag....you can't throw the bag out, but you can empty it. Unfortunately, you can get new 'bags' if you have enough triglycerides to fill them!

This was copied from an old post on this subject. Songbirdsweet gave the great answers - :heart: