what's your favourite meal to cook for dinner...no rice

Options
I find it difficult to balance a meal without rice beside it, and all i like is white rice. Any ideas??

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Following my plan I've gotten in the habit of no starches for dinner. I eat breads for breakfast and lunch instead. We make a lot of roast chicken, baked salmon and rainbow trout, and pair it with a couple of veggie sides. You could do filling veggies like roasted carrots or brussels sprouts plus a big green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers, bell peppers. I swear you'll be full!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Chili - vegetarian - beef - chicken: Is a full meal.

Salads can be a full meal . I like to throw together a bunch of salad type veggies and then add in some tuna or salmon or diced chicken.

If you find your body craves a starch, have a baked potato or a slice of whole grain bread.

Quinoa and couscous can be good as well. (Although I have yet to perfect the cooking of either!)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to balance a meal without rice beside it, and all i like is white rice. Any ideas??

Why can't you eat white rice?

Lots of dishes without rice, steak and potatoes, pasta dishes, sandwiches etc etc
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid rice most of the time as I will eat way too much of it if I make it. Here are some of my faves:

Baked lemon chicken over mushrooms
    Steamed broccoli
    Corn on the cob

Wild Mushroom and Beef Stew (Cooking Light)
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Steamed vegetable of choice

Baked chicken
    Sweet potato fries
    Steamed vegetable

You can probably see the trend here. One meat, one starchy vegetable, one leafy steamed vegetable.

HTH
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think I'd go wth blackened catfish with roasted brussel sprouts tossed in a mix of garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder and olive oil.

If you don't like brown rice and are looking for an alternative to white rice, you might consider quinoa or whole wheat couscous.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The grocery store. Go there, buy a meat, a starch and a vegetable. Add some fat in form of oil, cheese, butter and eat.

There are so many combinations of foods you just need to get creative with your shopping and better with your knowledge of food.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille with lemon cous cous is one of my big loves at the moment.

Spicy Quorn 'chicken' wraps with salad.

Beans on Marmite toast (a meal fit for a king when you're feeling lazy or in a hurry)

Massive veg stir fries (no noodles or rice)

Five bean chilli

Jacket Potato with cottage cheese and loads of black pepper.
  • nitnole711
    Options
    Last nights dinner was my favorite.... Salmon baked in parchment w/dill, roasted asparagus, salad....
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Last nights dinner was my favorite.... Salmon baked in parchment w/dill, roasted asparagus, salad....

I'm salivating reading that!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay away from starches? Have you tried Quinoa? Good stuff. I like roasted chicken breast, sweet potato, and cottage cheese or green beans. The possibilities are endless really
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I personally love rice, and yes I do eat white rice. But if you want something different eat your proetin (steak, fish, chicken) with a potato instead. Or just with mixed veggies. I like to cook carrots and broccoli on the stove with a little EVOO and garlic, yummy! Also, how about switch out your rice with a hearty salad?
  • CrisHidalgoTX
    CrisHidalgoTX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love grilled salmon with steamed veggies. I also try to stay away from rice (and carbs) although I LOVE it! You might try looking at the "Low Carb Diets" website; they have a recipe for cauliflower "rice." I also found out if if don't eat something for a week or so, I don't crave it as much. Good luck!:wink:
  • jared767
    Options

I'm salivating reading that!

same here :(
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    creamy mexican crockpot chicken filled low carb tortilla, little enchilada sauce and cheese on top!

salmon cakes with some broccoli or whatever vegg.. maybe some fried rice style quinoa instead

veggie burgers with arnold's pocket thin pita pockets or low cal tortilla

taco salad - taco meat - i like ground chicken, on top of baby spinach, tomatoes, taco sauce, cheese, few crunched up tostito's or 2 crunched up hard shell tacos

bowl of brunswick stew or any soup

omlets for dinner are awesome!
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Quesedillas!

Filling:
    Sauteed Onions and Peppers
    A little meat, flank steak or chicken seasoned and sauteed, prepared frozen chicken strips cut up work well too
    A little cheese

Put the filling on tortillas, fold in half, and bake for 10 mins or so until the cheese melts. Then serve with Salsa and Low Fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big rice eater, love rice...one day I read how to make rice out of cauliflower. just put fresh cauliflower in a food processor then steam it and put a little spray butter on it and it tastes and looks just like rice.

We have a lot of baked chicken/veggie/salad dinners, many different variations of them. My current fav is putting chicken breast, raw soaked black beans and some salsa in the crock pot all day, shred it up and put some low fat cottage cheese on it. Tastes like a sinful mexican dish, but it's pretty dang good for you!
  • rima933
    rima933 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Quesedillas!

Filling:
    Sauteed Onions and Peppers
    A little meat, flank steak or chicken seasoned and sauteed, prepared frozen chicken strips cut up work well too
    A little cheese

Put the filling on tortillas, fold in half, and bake for 10 mins or so until the cheese melts. Then serve with Salsa and Low Fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
    I make this occasionally but into a fajita instead and then i press it with my grill. however i try to not make it alot because the wraps are heavy in calories and carbs. Is there low calorie/carb wraps you can suggest?
  • rima933
    Options
    I used to be a big rice eater, love rice...one day I read how to make rice out of cauliflower. just put fresh cauliflower in a food processor then steam it and put a little spray butter on it and it tastes and looks just like rice.

We have a lot of baked chicken/veggie/salad dinners, many different variations of them. My current fav is putting chicken breast, raw soaked black beans and some salsa in the crock pot all day, shred it up and put some low fat cottage cheese on it. Tastes like a sinful mexican dish, but it's pretty dang good for you!
    I tried the cauliflower thing instead of rice, my husband was not too happy at all!!! haha but i found it ok. I don't have a crock pot do you recommend one?
  • rima933
    Options
    creamy mexican crockpot chicken filled low carb tortilla, little enchilada sauce and cheese on top!

salmon cakes with some broccoli or whatever vegg.. maybe some fried rice style quinoa instead

veggie burgers with arnold's pocket thin pita pockets or low cal tortilla

taco salad - taco meat - i like ground chicken, on top of baby spinach, tomatoes, taco sauce, cheese, few crunched up tostito's or 2 crunched up hard shell tacos

bowl of brunswick stew or any soup

omlets for dinner are awesome!
    I never ate a taco before but i just bought that box that comes with everything. Absolutely everything u mentioned sounds good. i must try that Quinoa stuff everyone is mentioning:smile:
  • rima933
    Options
    Are you trying to stay away from starches? Have you tried Quinoa? Good stuff. I like roasted chicken breast, sweet potato, and cottage cheese or green beans. The possibilities are endless really

I am trying to keep my family away from rice because we eat it way too often. I am trying to find something else thats filling but not so bad for you. i put this post up to get some suggestions of peoples favourites.