Am I losing too fast?

Options
I don't know, lately I've had this feeling that my weight loss has been going better than usual, and somehow I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Anyway, normally I would do 30 minutes of a Jillian Michael workout, accompanied by eating at 1200 kcal per day and the result has been great, around 1.5 lbs per week, which should be totally normal.

However, for the past 3 weeks or so, I've been working out with the Wii. I don't own a HRM, so it's so great to see the actual calories loss displayed on the program. Generally daily I lost around 400 - 500 kcal per day, and still eat at 1200 kcal. And during the last 3 weeks, I often lose more than 2 lbs per week. Just today, I weighed in after 4 days and I lost 1.8 kcal :<

I know 1-2lbs per week is a good number, and I wonder if my progress is a bit too fast and might cause some problem in a long run (I HOPE NOT, though). I already changed my goal to 1 lb per week, as suggested by MFP, and increase to 1220kcal intake per day. However, as I don't have a real way to measure kcal intake (except for rough estimation, of course), so there might be days I went under the 1200, or over.

I don't know, I'm really confused about this sudden burst of weight loss, especially I'm at the start of month 4, which should be, according to some people, the time when the weight loss starts to slow down a bit and be more stable. I'm sorry for this long post, but what do you think????

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I don't know, lately I've had this feeling that my weight loss has been going better than usual, and somehow I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Anyway, normally I would do 30 minutes of a Jillian Michael workout, accompanied by eating at 1200 kcal per day and the result has been great, around 1.5 lbs per week, which should be totally normal.

However, for the past 3 weeks or so, I've been working out with the Wii. I don't own a HRM, so it's so great to see the actual calories loss displayed on the program. Generally daily I lost around 400 - 500 kcal per day, and still eat at 1200 kcal. And during the last 3 weeks, I often lose more than 2 lbs per week. Just today, I weighed in after 4 days and I lost 1.8 kcal :<

I know 1-2lbs per week is a good number, and I wonder if my progress is a bit too fast and might cause some problem in a long run (I HOPE NOT, though). I already changed my goal to 1 lb per week, as suggested by MFP, and increase to 1220kcal intake per day. However, as I don't have a real way to measure kcal intake (except for rough estimation, of course), so there might be days I went under the 1200, or over.

I don't know, I'm really confused about this sudden burst of weight loss, especially I'm at the start of month 4, which should be, according to some people, the time when the weight loss starts to slow down a bit and be more stable. I'm sorry for this long post, but what do you think????

I'm no expert, but I think it's b/c you've switched up the type of exercise you're doing. Which is totally fine, our bodies adapt and get used to what we put it through, so a change in your workout routine will shake things up and surprise your body.

I don't think you have anything to worry about the fast loss...if you don't feel comfortable though, you can keep up with the exercise and just up your caloric intake a bit.

Great loss so far though, you should be proud XD!

ETA: for spelling :(
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Ensure you eat sensibly and not all junk and then just stay with what is happening. It doesn't matter what other people are doing, the only thing that is important for you is what you are doing and how it affects you and if you are fit and healthy and enjoying it all, make the most of it I say lol.

Well done on your weightloss!!
  • apple2107
    Options
    Thank you. I hope you both are right though. But since I've changed my exercise for almost a month now this streak of weight loss doesn't seem to lower at all (unlike when I first started working out with 30 Day Shred, it starts to lower at mid of week 3), that kinda worries me.

I will keep this up for another week and then up my calories to 1300 kcal per day just in case then.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    The wii is terribly inaccurate for measuring the calories burned, just FYI. It is no better than any other basic formula you would find on the internet for calculating calorie burn. Based on your ticker though, I don't think 1.5 lbs a week loss is bad right now, but I would suggest eating back at least some of your exercise calories burned on a regular basis.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're NETTING at least 1,200 cals, which means eating back your exercise calories, to avoid slowing down your metabolism and losing lean muscle mass.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Agree that wii doesn't give accurate calories burnt. Also maybe you are loosing some muscle mass now you've stopped the Jillian workouts? Either way I'd just be happy about it and keep going! I think you'd be fine to eat a little more if you feel you need it, if you don't then don't worry x