IDEAS NEEDED!!!

Options
jens1285
jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
So, I found I reach a goal a lot better when I set small goals along the way. My first goal was to get under 200lbs i weighed myself this morning and I'm 200.4 (dropped 8 pounds). Here's the problem....I never set a reward for myself and now i need ideas of what to do when I reach it. Keep in mind I'm a broke college student that lives on campus with no car. Does anyone have any ideas I could use for this goal and future goals?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Jump up and down and come on here and tell us. We'll congratulate you and that can be a free reward.
    Congratulations on your loss so far. You did Great!:heart::drinker: :laugh: :wink: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Jump up and down and come on here and tell us. We'll congratulate you and that can be a free reward.
    Congratulations on your loss so far. You did Great!:heart::drinker: :laugh: :wink: :love: :flowerforyou:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ great idea!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

edit: great job on your loss to date!!
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement.
  • FiMama
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. That totally rocks.

Second, I personally do not believe in rewarding ourselves for getting healthy, this is something we should have been doing in the first place.

I also think this is one of the reasons our children are fat, here Johnny, do this, do that or be good and we will go get some ice cream. Once again, the thinking that if we are good or behave, we should get rewarded is one of the things that is ruining our country.

I think posting here about your journey and achievements is going to help another to achieve their goals, is that reward enough.
  • smaryamf
    smaryamf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    congratulation!!! pictures of yourself in the same cute top at each goal..to be proud of your achievement when you reach your goal!
  • Urwin123
    Options
    'Second, I personally do not believe in rewarding ourselves for getting healthy, this is something we should have been doing in the first place.'

Reward doesn't have to be in the form of food...... New clothes when you drop weight significantly eg every stone make a huge difference to your confidence. Or a night out doing something you love but perhaps is a little indulgent on your wallet is great too. Good luck on your journey! Small goals are great, the reward is how you feel about getting fit and healthy for life
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Do you paint your nails? Maybe a splurge on some good polish such as Opi and then paint them or have a girls night and do everyones. Not as expensive as a manicure but still good. I realize the whole broke and no car thing sucks, but I also know most college students in this situation find ways to get around :) Just an idea. Seeing that scale drop is a great reward in itself also.
    Keep up the good work!
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have mini goals as well and small rewards for myself. My first goal was met and I got a pedicure. Once my second goal is met I'm going to get myself a new pair of shoes (but I may end up getting new pants as well since my dress pants keep falling down at work).

Your rewards don't have to be expensive. Share you success with your friends and family. They will be so happy for you and their upbeat energy will flow through you and encourage you to keep going on your journey. Do a little dance in your dorm room...be silly....be happy! You're amazing!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    'Second, I personally do not believe in rewarding ourselves for getting healthy, this is something we should have been doing in the first place.'

Reward doesn't have to be in the form of food...... New clothes when you drop weight significantly eg every stone make a huge difference to your confidence. Or a night out doing something you love but perhaps is a little indulgent on your wallet is great too. Good luck on your journey! Small goals are great, the reward is how you feel about getting fit and healthy for life

I totally understand what you are saying and I did not mean it in the food aspect, and for not making that clear I apologize. I know a girl that went out and purchased herself a 1500.00 hand bag for her 10 year anniversary of not smoking crack. Seriously? Do we all deserve an expensive handbag for not smoking crack? I work with recovering alcoholics and addicts who think they deserve a prize for not drinking or doing drugs.

Chris Rock has a skit where he talks about people bragging about paying their child support, as he says, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY YOUR CHILD SUPPORT. You should not want a ticker tape parade for doing what you are supposed to be doing in the first place.

Now of course my words are going to be taken probably harsher than what my tone is, because we can not read tone in forums. I do not mean this in a harsh way, more as in a soft way a mother would explain something to a child. I am not trying to be condensing or mean, just logical and reasonable.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Do a victory dance! I bought a new workout dvd or something that will help me keep on my journey until I hit the bigger leagues at 80lbs I got a treadmill factoring in saving on gym membership, my 100lb mark just ordered a bike.
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I totally understand what you are saying and I did not mean it in the food aspect, and for not making that clear I apologize. I know a girl that went out and purchased herself a 1500.00 hand bag for her 10 year anniversary of not smoking crack. Seriously? Do we all deserve an expensive handbag for not smoking crack? I work with recovering alcoholics and addicts who think they deserve a prize for not drinking or doing drugs.

Chris Rock has a skit where he talks about people bragging about paying their child support, as he says, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY YOUR CHILD SUPPORT. You should not want a ticker tape parade for doing what you are supposed to be doing in the first place.

Now of course my words are going to be taken probably harsher than what my tone is, because we can not read tone in forums. I do not mean this in a harsh way, more as in a soft way a mother would explain something to a child. I am not trying to be condensing or mean, just logical and reasonable.

I agree that one shouldn't buy a $1500 handbag for reaching a 10 pound goal...that's just absurd. And yes, being healthy is something we should do in the first place...but some of us never knew what it was to be healthy. (Not the I'm blaming my family) but I grew up always surrounded by food and never told I needed to exercise. It just wasn't a part of my parent's life either. I reward myself for sticking to something I've never been able to stick to before. I reward myself for learning new life lessons on how to better my life.

I think everyone has different views as to this topic, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't go overboard and be realistic.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options

This is so very true!!! We have all bought in on the "good job" mentality that we often want reward for doing what is expected. Not to say that we shouldn't reward our children, but as adults we should be able to internalize and reflect on our accomplishments and be a source of stregnth for others.
    With all that said, for any ideas tyake a look at my profile at my reward list. :ohwell:
  • DenseGirl
    DenseGirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Put $5 for every lb you lose in a jar. Create small cost goals along the way and use this money. Ideas- Dye your hair from a box for the next 5lb loss. At 20lbs down- Get an iced latte from Starbucks. At 30lbs down get new jeans. You will have enough money in the jar by then and you will be in need!

I do something similar to this, you can do $2 a pound and do similar goals too!
  • jens1285
    jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks fthe idea everyone!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!